Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 20:56   #1

San Diego to Santa Barbara

I'm trying to plan a sail from San Diego,CA to Santa Barbara,CA sometime in June. Anyone know how long this trip should take? I'd be going solo.
gobi1570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The trip is only about 200 nm, but Nothbound could take forever.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:25   #3

Should I just go and motor it the whole way?
Old 04-02-2008, 05:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See the:
Atlas of Pilot Charts South Pacific Ocean:
Maritime Safety Information

The Non-Cruiser's Guide To Central And Southern California
This is a sort of 'Cruising Guide' to free anchorages along the California coast
The Non-Cruiser's Guide To Central And Southern California

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:49   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
I'm not at home right now but there is a very good book about cruisisng the California coast from SD to SF. I'm sure they would have it at the fab bookstore in point loma Amazon.com: The Cruising Guide to Central and Southern California: Golden Gate to Ensenada, Mexico, Including the Offshore Islands: The Kindle Store: Brian M. Fagan here's a link I found. Lots of detailed info. Its hard to answer your question as to how long it should take b/c we don't know if you are cruising, racing, or delivering. Not to mention hull speed etc.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:38   #6

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Chances are you'll have to motor the whole way. So be prepared for that. If you want a rest you can stop in Catalina half way.
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:20   #7
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Gobi - as mentioned, if you want more specific information, you have to provide specific details. If you are on a power boat that makes 20 knots .. it can be a one day (LONG) trip (depending on your fuel). If you are not in a hurry, there are some nice places to stop along the way. If you are sailing, it will be a three day trip (I'm going to presume that you will stop to sleep - There is WAY TOO MUCH commercial & recreational traffic in that area to do otherwise!!!). Sleep stops: Newport Harbor (if you are just overnight, check in with the harbor patrol and you can drop anchor just South of them), Avalon or Two Harbors on Santa Catalina Island. If you get into trouble and need to dive into someplace, there are a lot of places along the way depending on what you may need.

Good luck,
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 15:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive View Post
Gobi - as mentioned, if you want more specific information, you have to provide specific details. If you are on a power boat that makes 20 knots .. it can be a one day (LONG) trip (depending on your fuel). If you are not in a hurry, there are some nice places to stop along the way. If you are sailing, it will be a three day trip (I'm going to presume that you will stop to sleep - There is WAY TOO MUCH commercial & recreational traffic in that area to do otherwise!!!). Sleep stops: Newport Harbor (if you are just overnight, check in with the harbor patrol and you can drop anchor just South of them), Avalon or Two Harbors on Santa Catalina Island. If you get into trouble and need to dive into someplace, there are a lot of places along the way depending on what you may need.

Good luck,
It's more than likely going to be a Com-Pac 35...I haven't bought the boat yet, but I'd be moving it from San Diego to it's slip up in Santa Barbara to get all the provisioning done, and pickup some things I need there, and hopefully soon after I'll be heading offshore to Hawaii. I can't imagine I'd be able to do more than five knots. Avalon sounds like a good stop along the way. I love that town.
Old 04-02-2008, 15:57   #9

Look at stopping at Dana point as well. I hear you can call ahead to the harbor master and reserve a transient slip. I am going to be doing this trip in the opposite direction at the end of July.
Old 04-02-2008, 17:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
Look at stopping at Dana point as well. I hear you can call ahead to the harbor master and reserve a transient slip. I am going to be doing this trip in the opposite direction at the end of July.
You know Dana Point to Avalon would be fun. I think I'd have to find another place between Avalon and Santa Barbara to stop for a bit.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:17   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Why not leave it in SD until November, readying the vessel and head in the easy direction...south to Mexico?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:42   #12

Boat: Spencer 53 (Amazing Grace)
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobi1570 View Post
You know Dana Point to Avalon would be fun. I think I'd have to find another place between Avalon and Santa Barbara to stop for a bit.
Channel Islands Harbor and Ventura Harbor would be a nice stopover from Avalon. Either one. More to do in Ventura Harbor though. You'll probably be beating the whole way. Our trips South are always faster than coming back North due to swell, current, and wind direction. We've had to motor from Catalina to Ventura more often than not. As always, get a good grip on the weather situation before you set out. "Windy Lane" can be anything from a big calm lake to a really nasty and unforgiving hell hole. I've seen and been in both. Myself personally, I would say to make it a three day trip. SD to Catalina, Catalina to Channel Islands or Ventura Harb. (or a stop at Santa Cruz Island if the weather is nice), then on to SB. Have fun, be safe, and good luck.
spencer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:24   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Been there done that.

1st Time: San Diego to Oceanside, Oceanside to Dana Point (great Stop); Dana Point to Newport Beach, Newport Beach to Long Beach, Long Beach to Marina Del Rey; Marina Del Ray to Oxnard; Oxnard to Santa Barbara. One off-shore tack and one on-shore tack each. Long trip--7 daze or so but not too tough. Late afternoon winds can build up but on the on-shore tack they make for a close reach.

2nd Time: San Diego to Oceanside; Oceanside to NE Side of San Clemente Island; San Clemente Isl to San Nicolas Isl; San Nicolas to Santa Rosa Isl; Santa Rosa Isl to Santa Barbara. Nicer trip off-shore but subject to lots of fog from early morning to mid-afternoon at the time of year so radar is a definite plus. Pay attention to traffic separation lanes!

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:38   #14

Great info everyone. I really appreciate it. Forgive the stupid question, but what are "traffic separation lanes"? I'm going to take some sailing lessons before I attempt this, and I've been reading alot, but Im a total sailing noob.
Old 05-02-2008, 13:52   #15

Boat: Beneteau First 42
If you don't know what a Traffic Separation Lane is you shouldn't be contemplating this trip. Do yourself a favor and take your sailing lessons, and other instruction, and do some sailing--a lot of sailing--before contemplating buying a boat, to say nothing of taking off on a trip to Hawaii. SoCal is an easy place to learn. The conditions are mild, the seas largely gentle, the winds boringly predictable, and the water deep (but cold!). And, there are a lot of sail training programs and sailing clubs to work with. To really do yourself a favor, sign up for one of the live aboard ASA Sail Training Programs such as the Colgate School where you'll really have a chance to learn something. Better yet, sign up for one of the Off-Shore Voyager Programs the OCC runs out of Newport Beach.

Then buy a boat in San Diego from a would-be cruiser that fitted out a good boat nicely, provisioned it, and took-off only to find after 2 or 3 days that things off-shore are a lot different than they sound while sitting in a comfy chair reading and after several more daze of misery, finally managed to drag his/her sick, bruised, cold, wet, butt back to Shelter Island--or worse, was towed in--threw the ignition keys on some broker's desk saying "Sell It!", and went off to chase his/her next dream. Every year there seems to be a new crop of these boats turning up in San Diego that can be had pretty cheaply and, once having gotten one, if Hawaii's the plan, there's no point in beating 200+ miles in the wrong direction to start the trip!

FWIW

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego