Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 01:39   #16

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
It is easier Mx has good chart download.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:16   #17

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Re: Samsung S4. Can Anyone Suggest Good Nav & Weather Apps?

Have you tried OruxMaps and MarineNavigator for Android devices?
Both can use all your old .KAP/BSB maps. You can also import optimized routes from qtVLM . OruxMaps also have a variety off-line maps included. Both are free.

For weather predictions I use PocketGRIB and WindfinderPro.

Tore
Old 09-12-2013, 03:51   #18

Thanks Tore OruxMaps and Marine Navigator
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oruxmaps&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...avigator&hl=en
Did not know "these can use old .KAP/BSB maps and import optimized routes from qtVLM ."

For weather, you use the pro versions of Pocketgrib and Windfinder
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rib.free&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndfinder&hl=en

Do you know if PocketGrib and Windfinder Pro are better than Predictwind and SailGribWR?
Old 09-12-2013, 06:41   #19

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

I also use PredictWind,WindGuru and PassageWeather for the longer trips.

Through qtVlm Route Optimizer I also have other choices of weather providers.

Like everything in navigation,you end up with an ´error triangle´ the more
info,the better.

Tore
Old 10-12-2013, 11:19   #20

Boat: Club Sailor; various

What's the point? I have the S3 and the screen is worthless in daylight. Why can't Samsung use screens like Garmin?

Last time I buy a phone without taking it outside first.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:03   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Why can't Samsung use screens like Garmin?"
Obviously, Samsung and the entire cell phone market could use screens just like Garmin.
The reason that they don't, is that they are making cell phones, not GPSes. GPS screens are bright (although my Garmin Nuvi still is NOT daylight readable compared to marine chart products) but none of them are capable of high refresh speeds or wide color ranges. So they're useless for videos, useless for Skype video calls, useless for what the cell phone buyers want to buy.

There's probably a screen technology that is both fast and bright, but the odds are you (and everyone else) wouldn't pay for it even if they offered it to you. There's no smartphone that's worth a tinker's dam in sunlight. Not even the "ruggedized" ones.

Wait a couple of years for the DARPA and DOD projects for military smartphones and you may find some brighter products trickle out to the civilian market as well.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:18   #22

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

Mx Mariner works great on S3... Can't beat price and functionality....
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:23   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Obviously, Samsung and the entire cell phone market could use screens just like Garmin.
The reason that they don't, is that they are making cell phones, not GPSes. GPS screens are bright (although my Garmin Nuvi still is NOT daylight readable compared to marine chart products) but none of them are capable of high refresh speeds or wide color ranges. So they're useless for videos, useless for Skype video calls, useless for what the cell phone buyers want to buy.
Then maybe Garmin could partner with someone to make a GPS/phone or GPS/Android Internet access device for people that don't need or want all those bells and whistles, other than access to apps that are outdoor/sportsmen user specific. That would be sweet...expensive I suppose given the relatively small market but sweet nonetheless.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:01   #24

Tidetech's Weather4D https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.weather4d

Weather data types:
- Cloud cover
- Precipitations (Rain, Snow)
- Wind 10 m above mean sea level
- Temperature 2 m above mean sea level
- Pressure MSL
- CAPE
- Waves (Height, period & direction)
- Ocean currents
Data model:
- Data from NOAA GFS, CMC GEM, COAMPS, FNMOC WW3, MyOcean
Old 16-12-2013, 06:25   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I sent Samsung an email suggesting they consider developing a screen that can toggle between "normal" multicolor HD and "bright daylight" for use with apps that are outdoor user friendly.

They responded with an email saying they cannot accept product suggestions they didn't specifically ask for. How's that responding to the market place?
Old 16-12-2013, 13:24   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

OF, Samsung's corporate attitude and policies are, ah, less than the finest. You may find that in these litigious times, no corporation will accept "suggestions" because then they are afraid someone will come back and sue them over whose idea it was. And with Samsung being sued by Apple (and others) right now, for megabucks, I wouldn't be surprised if they're especially gunshy.

But they also have a corporate policy of telling untruths. They've had numerous problems with cell phones, like issuing software on the early Galaxy phones that was hard-coded to servers which were shut down--before the phones ever shipped. And then denying that was a problem. And then claiming to issue a fix, which still included the coding to dead servers. Either they're lying, stonewalling, or just plain stupid, and I'd rather believe the latter. But that's not at all uncommon these days. I'm only surprised that no one "does it better".
Old 16-12-2013, 14:13   #27
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post

I sent Samsung an email suggesting they consider developing a screen that can toggle between "normal" multicolor HD and "bright daylight" for use with apps that are outdoor user friendly.

They responded with an email saying they cannot accept product suggestions they didn't specifically ask for. How's that responding to the market place?
There are practical technical reasons as well as cost reasons why you cannot get a high resolution fast display that's sunlight readable that's cost effective. Garmin can produce a device because the screen is basically " single function" or they have very high end pricing.

Secondly it's only a problem for a small number of people , anyway why are you using a freaking consumer peace of tuppenny-hapenny , technology for your primary navigation.

Dave
Old 17-12-2013, 06:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Secondly it's only a problem for a small number of people , anyway why are you using a freaking consumer peace of tuppenny-hapenny , technology for your primary navigation.

Dave
Never said it was primary. OP asked for suggestions for Apps for his Galaxy. Thread got a little highjacked discussing readability of screen in bright sunlight in the cockpit of a boat.
Old 23-12-2013, 13:34   #29

Boat: csy 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
Hi, I have done some searching and there seems to be plenty of apps out there for the Iphone but bugger all for the Samsung S4.
Can someone please direct me to a good (see. best) Navigation and weather apps available for the Samsung S4.
I am based in Australia, It may have a bearing on the best weather app. Not shore.
Thanks Jeff
Sorry this only applies to the usa but our noaa has released a free android navigation program called mynoaacharts available for tablets on the google play store.

Free download and then you can free download all or some of the usa charts and coast pilots. I'm still playing with it but really impressed....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 13:46   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"why are you using a freaking consumer peace of tuppenny-hapenny , technology for your primary navigation. "
Perhaps because it so elegantly integrates with four billion dollars worth of US military GPS technology, and makes a very convenient backup system after the dedicated boat electronics have gone belly-up from a lightning strike or the inevitable gremlins on a boat?

Didn't think the Brits HAD ha'pennies any more. Didn't they switch over to real decimal money a couple or four decades ago?

The "MyNOAACharts" app is still officially in beta, but it would make a handy way to keep the coast pilots on board to make sense out of the cryptic notes sometimes found on the real charts.

Tags
weather