Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 11:58   #16

Re: SailTimer Wind Instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
Thought I would give this a bump. I'm also interested in the Sailtimer. Is there anyone out there that has real world experience with this company/product and would care to share? I'm looking for something to install on a rotating wing mast. If it works as advertised, it would be just what I'm looking for.
Once I had order the first Instrument it took over 6 month to arrive changing all the time the delivery date and the second one took also 7 month. The SailTimer Instrument did never function because my mast is 36 ft high and the Bluetooth signal did not arrive on my instrument or smartphone. The first SailTimer Wind Instrument after 3 month the plate where it was fixed brake and I lost the Instrument. So I talk to the company SailTimer and they sold me a second Instrument with factory price, but this Instrument also did not function, the Bluetooth signal did not arrive to the instrument or smartphone and also the wind direction is not working, I think it came with this defect from factory. I did not have support from the company and they only told me that it is not possible that it is not function properly. So at the end I have pay a lot of money and no result. SailTimer say that they have a new and stronger Bluetooth electronic in there new Instruments which have a longer range, admitting with this that the old Instruments had problem with the communication. So in the moment I also do not know what Wind-Instrument for rotating mast I will buy.http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/...s/banghead.gif
chamo0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:33   #17
ews

Boat: Hallberg Rassy HR31 Monsun
Send a message via Skype™ to ews

I had two units. The old one and the new one. First one didn't work at all. Second one seized wind cup bearing after three weeks.

Company is very difficult to deal with and refuses refund or to disclose a legal contact so an unhappy customer can not easily file legal procedures.

Don't just take my word. There are many unhappy customers out here. Do your research on this company before you buy is all I am saying.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:18   #18

Totally agree. I feel like a total fool for spending my money on this device without doing more online research. Before I had even installed the SailTimer Wind Instrument I left it outside to top off the charge. I later noticed condensation inside the "sealed" plastic case. When I contacted the company I was told I could fix it myself--just drill a couple of small holes in the case to let it dry out and then reseal the seams with silicone sealer! Later I was unable to get the battery charged even after leaving it in direct sun for 3 days. They convinced my to buy a new battery. When I installed the new battery, the internal blue LED was solid instead of blinking. SailTimer told me that was my fault because I let the battery die.

I have never had such a bad experience with any vendor. Save your money, do not buy the SailTimer Wind Instrument.
4tran4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 19:33   #19
ews

Boat: Hallberg Rassy HR31 Monsun
Send a message via Skype™ to ews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tran4 View Post
Totally agree. I feel like a total fool for spending my money on this device without doing more online research. Before I had even installed the SailTimer Wind Instrument I left it outside to top off the charge. I later noticed condensation inside the "sealed" plastic case. When I contacted the company I was told I could fix it myself--just drill a couple of small holes in the case to let it dry out and then reseal the seams with silicone sealer! Later I was unable to get the battery charged even after leaving it in direct sun for 3 days. They convinced my to buy a new battery. When I installed the new battery, the internal blue LED was solid instead of blinking. SailTimer told me that was my fault because I let the battery die.

I have never had such a bad experience with any vendor. Save your money, do not buy the SailTimer Wind Instrument.
I am happy to report that I have "recycled" these pieces of disingenuity from the worst company I ever had to deal with. In the end its simple, terrible poroduct, terrible customer service.

I wrote off the investment. There was enough critical information out already when I bought it so with better due diligence on my side I could have avoided that mistake.

I have since build a Windinstrument from the OpenMarine forum products. And at a fraction at a cost.

Looks like they are still in business so it looks like there are still people like you and me making these mistakes.
Old 18-08-2022, 19:36   #20

Boat: Cheoy Lee 38

I'll add my sorry story to this thread: Don't waste your money on the SailTimer RB.
I bought my SailTimer RB from Hodges Marine March 30, 2020. I installed it on the masthead of my boat on April 3, 2020. By May 26, 2020 it failed to connect due to a loss of programming, although there was no evidence of faulty battery. For whatever reasons, the unit was unable to maintain a charge on the battery mounted on the masthead. I returned the unit to the factory for reprogramming in early June, 2020 and received it back in August. In November of 2020, I installed it back at the masthead and the very first time we took the boat out with the Sailtimer, it rained and the unit filled up with rain and died. I sent it back to the factory in early December and received it back in July of 2021. As I didn't immediately have an opportunity to re-install the unit on the masthead, I mounted it on one of the pilings on my dock. Being concerned about the unit's ability to maintain charge, I checked it about every 2 weeks or so all summer. The unit appeared to be working fine and stayed fully charged until September 2021. Yesterday, I was preparing the boat for the Harvest Moon Regatta and planning to install the unit on the masthead, along with a new masthead VHF antenna, and noticed that it was full of rainwater again. There is no obvious crack in the case, but there is water at the top of the board, so I presume it leaked at the very top. Surprisingly, I was able to connect to the unit, and not surprisingly, the battery power was at the lowest level. I sent in back to SailTimer again in October 2021, and received it back in May 2022 with a supposedly superior welding method on the plastic case. Having zero confidence in this product, I put it back on the piling on my dock and sure enough, by August 11, 2022, it would not connect, battery apparently dead and water in the case for a 3rd time! I contacted SailTimer to see if they would make good on the product or refund my money, but no, the 2-year warranty ran out in March 2022, so I pitched it in the trash.

If you have a small boat, like a Hobie Cat, or some dinghy that you down rig the mast every time you finish sailing for the day, you might actually like this thing. Be sure to buy the battery charger to go with it. But for a cruising boat, where you want to leave the wind instrument up the mast for months or years at a time, don't even consider it. It will just fill up with rainwater and quit.
CaptBillJenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 05:41   #21

Boat: Ziggurat 916

Hello to everybody!
I did the error of ordering a SailTimer RB + AirLink at the end of December, to use on my 9,16 meters sailboat.
The "order" is supposedly a "pre-order", as they will ship also the SailTimer RB when the new AirLink version will be ready (April 2023 or later).
After the order, I didn't receive any update from them (no tracking number nor estimated shipping). I waited till yesterday then I asked for a refund. They answered that I can only get a partial refund (deducting a 10% "cancel" fee from my order) or cancel the AirLink "pre-order" or get first the SailTimer Rb then the AirLink for an additional shipping cost. This is the first time I experience such a fee for an unsent order. The website is a bit misleading and their behaviour not in line with my previous e-commerce experiences.
After reading some of the posts here, I have no intention of going forward with the order. I have opened a case with Paypal meanwhile. In fact, I ordered already a different wind sensor, and it's already shipping today!!!
Don't do my mistake!
Best regards,
Tiziano
controcorrente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 04:11   #22

Boat: Ziggurat 916

After a useless conversation with their customer care, I managed to get a full refund from Paypal!
controcorrente is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum, sail, wind