Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 19:04   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Sailing vessel and RORO ship on collision courses - what do you think of the outc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I guess the ship decided on option three and we sped up as the breeze increased. Shows why crossing ahead is not the best choice. .
So you contravened COLREGS by not maintaining your course and speed, thereby negating the corrective action taken by the give-way vessel.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 19:06   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Sailing vessel and RORO ship on collision courses - what do you think of the outc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
The rule of tonnage always applies

There's always at least one **** **** in every similar thread
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 19:15   #18

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
So you contravened COLREGS by not maintaining your course and speed, thereby negating the corrective action taken by the give-way vessel.
Certainly something to more thoroughly consider for multihull sailors who's speed may easily vary by quite a few knots with a change in wind strength.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 19:19   #19

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Well even though there's COLREGS, sometimes it's a bit like that car that tucks kerbside beside a turning truck and gets taken out for it's trouble even if it had a right of way. The reality is sometimes you just gotta yield and I'd agree you could always turn a few degrees in order to pass astern before assuming the stance of the stand on vessel.

And I should know, I've looked at this book's cover on the Internet

Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 19:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Despite many people on this forum loving to post that - NO IT DOES NOT.

There is no such rule, except in specific (normally localised) situations.
lol....sure keep quoting that when your boat gets split in two and you may or may not be dead.
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 19:38   #21

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

I'm also a motorcycle rider.

All others on the road are trying to kill me, all the time. I might put a small dent or a small scratch on their SUV. This attitude and level of awareness has, so far, kept me from harm.

My sailboat might, maybe, knock a little paint of one of the big boys.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 19:52   #22

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ORCA View Post
lol....sure keep quoting that when your boat gets split in two and you may or may not be dead.
LOL right back at you

As a professional mariner, ship master, yachtsman, racing sailor, and cruiser for most of my life, and from the perspective of having been on both sides of these types of stories, I would just prefer that the COLREGS are followed, instead of what many cruisers in this forum often suggest doing, which is just to make it up as they go along.

That may also result in getting your boat split in two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
There's always at least one **** **** in every similar thread
Seems like there is more than one in this thread.

Old 08-02-2021, 20:02   #23

Quote:

LOL right back at you. As a professional mariner, ship master, yachtsman, racing sailor, and cruiser for most of my life, and from the perspective of having been on both sides of these types of stories, I would just prefer that the COLREGS are followed, instead of what many cruisers in this forum often suggest doing, which is just to make it up as they go along.

That may also result in getting your boat split in two...

Seems like there is more than one in this thread.

well i prefer to stay alive rather than think the world should bend to my will. Not that i disagree with you but thats not reality. which ship do you think wins when both crew think they are right or one is poorly trained, tired or doesnt give a ****?
Old 08-02-2021, 20:06   #24

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakerChuck View Post
I'm also a motorcycle rider.

All others on the road are trying to kill me, all the time. I might put a small dent or a small scratch on their SUV. This attitude and level of awareness has, so far, kept me from harm.

My sailboat might, maybe, knock a little paint of one of the big boys.

QFT. The ultimate goal is accident avoidance. Rules come after that. When I see a ship in my way, I do whatever is needed to give them a wide berth.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 20:16   #25

Quote:
well i prefer to stay alive rather than think the world should bend to my will. Not that i disagree with you but thats not reality. which ship do you think wins when both crew think they are right or one is poorly trained, tired or doesnt give a ****?
Nobody is suggesting that the world should bend to anyone's will. Nor is anyone suggesting that one's life should be put in danger, or that it's a question of 'who wins' (where do you guys get this stuff... ?).

In fact the COLREGS expressly permit any vessel, even the stand on vessel, to also take action to avoid a collision.

But the blind faith to made up nonsense suggested sometimes on this forum in relation to collision avoidance should in no way replace correct education and knowledge, even for a cruising sailor.

Time would be better spent reading and understanding the COLREGS instead of posting LOLs and misguided suggestions on the forum...

Old 08-02-2021, 20:32   #26

Quote:
Nobody is suggesting that the world should bend to anyone's will. Nor is anyone suggesting that one's life should be put in danger, or that it's a question of 'who wins' (where do you guys get this stuff... ?).

In fact the COLREGS expressly permit any vessel, even the stand on vessel, to also take action to avoid a collision.

But the blind faith to made up nonsense suggested sometimes on this forum in relation to collision avoidance should in no way replace correct education and knowledge, even for a cruising sailor.

Time would be better spent reading and understanding the COLREGS instead of posting LOLs and misguided suggestions on the forum...

ok well its your life, not mine. all i think some of us are trying to say is rules should never supersede common sense.
Old 08-02-2021, 20:33   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
...The ultimate goal is accident avoidance. Rules come after that...
Again this is a misnomer, the rules do in fact come first, but they also expressly cover that "the ultimate goal is accident avoidance" as you put it, and even that a departure from the rules maybe be acceptable in some cases to achieve this.

The COLREGS have been around for a long time and pretty much cover all the situations. Most problems occur when people decide to depart from the REGS for some unknown reason.

And for some reason departing from the rules, or not knowing them, or simply ignoring them, seems to be the first choice amongst a certain group here.

Old 08-02-2021, 20:35   #28

Quote:
ok well its your life, not mine. all i think some of us are trying to say is rules should never supersede common sense.
And what I'm trying to say is "that's covered in the rules too!".

Have you even read the COLREGS? I think not, otherwise you would be aware of this.

Old 08-02-2021, 21:02   #29

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Again this is a misnomer...

Or perhaps a misapprehension. The nested conditions remind me of the three laws of robotics.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 21:09   #30

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:

Perhaps I am mistaken, (it does happen ) but I thought that the regs required a vessel to avoid a collision if it became apparent that the give way vessel was not in fact meeting their obligations. Looking forward to being educated.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
collision, sail, sailing