Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2023, 10:56   #1

Boat: 1991 Morgan 44 Center Cockpit
Sailing south in Florida

I'm looking for advice on sailing south along Florida coast, from St. Augustine to Ft. Pierce. How far from land can I be without hitting the gulf stream? I don't want to sail against that current.
scottmc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 11:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Sailing south in Florida

Piece of cake.

The west wall of the Gulf stream is some 60 odd miles east of St. Augustine.
I've done this trip countless times. I generally go a for a straight line shot to get around Cape Canaveral, and another straight line shot to Ft. P. This puts you just out of sight of land for only a brief time.
Only past Ft. P. do I start hugging the coast...and when I say hugging...I mean 1/2 to 1 mile offshore. As you get closer to West Palm Beach you want to be closer to shore....I'm usually around 1/4 mile by this time.

You can do it in one shot....or go St.A to CC...one overnighter....CC to Ft. P another overnighter....P to WPB a day's run. Night sailing usually gives you a westerly breeze for a period of time.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 11:11   #3

The stream changes location.

Look here for up to date data:

https://ocean.weather.gov/gulf_stream.php

"The data below is provided to the Ocean Prediction Center by the Naval Oceanographic Office (NAVO). It is usually updated 3 times per week, not including weekends and holidays."
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 12:22   #4

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran

Try Windy in current mode.
https://www.windy.com/-Currents-curr....758,-79.038,7
Avionics_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 15:49   #5
Marine Service Provider

Here's the thing....off course, everyone is looking for that perfect weather system....which occasionally happens, but its rare.

It's unlikely to have fierce weather this time of the year along the Florida eastern seaboard.
I've sailed the eastern seaboard countless times, long before "Windy" and any other number of computer programs were in existence.

I've just left, and whatever the weather was, that is what I had to deal with. It's called sailing, if you want to motor the whole way, time for a trawler.
Sometimes the wind was behind me, sometimes in front, other times from somewhere else.
Sometimes it rained, other times not, sometimes 5 knots, other times 25 knots, it didn't matter, the weather was going to be the weather and I just adapted to the situation.

These days, I see this all the time. A group of sailors will huddle around every conceivable weather program, analysis, charts, etc, ad infinitum. Group talk sessions will evolve, and the end result is that no-one leaves the dock.

The Gulf Stream is not the big bugaboo everyone makes it out to be. For sure in the height of winter against a ragin' nor-easter it is time to stay in port. But in spring/summer it's not an issue. You will have plenty of advance if the Gulf Stream is untenable.

Off course, there will be waves out there. It's the ocean, for crying out aloud, but rarely of such a height that most sailboats couldn't take in stride.

I've cruised south along Florida headed to the B'mas on my own boat and other's probably at least 50 times by now. Some of my best trips was during a nor-easter, a fast, exhilarating and beautiful ride south.

Just putting my 2c into the pile. Off course, each skipper must make up their own mind, just offering my 2c.
Old 27-05-2023, 17:56   #6

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Many times you can catch a counter current from St, Augustine to Cape Canaveral 3 to 5 miles off shore. It's usually less than a knot but in a sailboat anything will help. The stream is usually 15-20 miles off shore at Cape Canaveral and the shoals are safe to cross three or 4 miles off the tip or even 2 miles if the weather is flat calm and you don't draw over 6 feet. From there you can pretty much aim for Ft. Pierce inlet and be inside the stream the whole way.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 19:55   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Fully agree with mchughv and captain bill, Gulf Stream north of ft Pierce is not an issue within 15 miles of land. Canaveral is a good bailout port, but very commercial - no anchorage in the port.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 04:27   #8
Marine Service Provider

Ya, in bygone days, you could anchor in the westernmost basin, but not anymore.

I have seen boats anchored right next to the marina there, as there is a bit of a cove/indentation there.

Similar situation in Ft. Pierce as there are anchoring spots along the south side of the main channel.

WPB also has some convenient anchoring spots adjacent to the main channel.

Might be worth it to get the latest version of the waterway guide, which will give you the latest update.
Old 28-05-2023, 04:43   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

went the wind dies on the way note the Pounce inlet is pretty easy really

i never have managed to ail south from St Augustine to Ft Pierce. The wind either dies or it turns into a nasty beat. you of course try it in a north blow and get eat up different
Old 28-05-2023, 04:52   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The problem is that while the Gulf stream is reasonably stable and going the way Windy shows, there are eddies and counter currents that change positions all the time.

From the outer buoy of the Port Canaveral inlet, I have see 3 kts of current either way. Since then, when coming out the inlet on autopilot, I watch my rudder angle and when I see a south setting current I continue ESE until the rudder angle doesn’t go bigger anymore, then steer south. But when the current is setting me North, I immediately go out the channel and hug the coast.

Now that Covid test requirements for the Bahamas are behind us, I plan to let the wind and current decide my course. If I wait for an approaching front, I can set sail with a south wind, heading straight east into the GS on a beam reach. Then as the wind starts clocking West I am hopefully far enough through the GS to adjust course more south for the same wind angle, heading towards either White Sands, Matanilla, Walker Cay of Strangers Cay channels to enter the bank early the next morning and well before the wind turns North, which is then perfect for sailing east over the bank.

People always say to cross where the GS is the narrowest (West Palm) but remember it is the same volume of water passing by so as it gets wider, the current is less as well.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 09:53   #11
Marine Service Provider

Here's the thing. If you plan to leave on a set date, you've got to pretty much deal with the weather of the day. I think I've seen it all by now, and have travelled south in most every type of weather.
Rough...hmmm...I prefer the term boisterous.. sometimes, but the weather is changing all the time. The weather will not be the same in north Florida as it will likely be in south Florida and unlikely to be tomorrow what it is today.

A trip going south along the coast during a nor-easter is a sleigh ride, you'll be at hull speed the whole way and make great time. Timing your exit/entry from any port or inlet is key, otherwise you'll be in for some rough times for a short period of time

Hard to beat a west wind, though rare.

Like s/v Jedi, I've come into the Abaco's from several directions, weather depending. Many options to pick from, don't be married to a single idea.

If this is your first time, WPB is a popular spot to leave from. Get on the vhf while there and ask who is planning to leave, more often than not, you'll be in the company of other boats.

Though I've done this trip countless of times, I have yet to clear in at West End.

I did the trip one time in company with two other boats going down the ICW. After that, I swore I'd never do that again.

But, at the end of the day, it will be your call. I'm very comfortable being in the ocean, so that is my preferred way, but might not be yours.

Tags
florida, sail, sailing