Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2015, 15:06   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico
Sailing from Ft. Myers to Ft. Pierce Florida

Hello new friends!
I am sailing a 38 Cabo Rico from Ft. Myers FL - Ft. Pierce FL. It has 5 ft draft & 50 ft. bridge clearance. I am planning the trip in November & want to have fun along the way. I have about 7 days. If you can offer any advice on the route to take & a couple of fun stops I would appreciate it. I figure I will do a straight shot from Marathon to Ft. Pierce so basically looking for fun in the Keys. I am not thinking Lake Okeechobee would be a very exciting trip, well except experiencing the Okeechobee Limbo. 😛. If I am wrong please let me know.
Thanks,
Sea Nymph
Sea_Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 19:23   #2

Re: Sailing from Ft. Myers to Ft. Pierce Florida

I motored across the okacheebee from fort to sewart it was a great experience and provided some great sites. You basically have to man the tiller the whole time which gets boring along with going so slow. If the right winds are present I recommend taking the trip around the keys. From my recollection heavy storms come out of the north which could create some unfavorable conditions with opposing current from the Gulf Stream. I think the 7 day window is tight but doable. To me it's a game time decision based on weather but around the keys is my vote
ctcolaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 03:56   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

If you’re limited to 7 days you might be hard-pressed to cover the 350nm or so Keys route. Unless you do an overnight or two, you will need to move everyday and hope the weather or other issues don’t hold you back.

The Okeechokee route actually has its charms, especially if you like nature. But you might need to hire the “heeler” to get under the RR lift bridge at Port Maraca (49’ clearance when open). The Army Corps has a policy of “one night anchoring and move along” – lots of places to stop. The lake levels may dictate which route you would need to take at the lake – most likely the open water route…the rim route can be a challenge with 5 foot draft even when the levels are normal.

Hope this helps, and enjoy either way (and try to score a few extra days, especially if you’re planning the Keys route).
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 08:16   #4

Boat: Cabo Rico

Thank you Mike.
After much discussion with the other half last night and pouring through charts we feel Okeechobee Waterway will be the best (if conditions are favorable). It is the plan for right now.
Kind regards,
Sea Nymph
Sea_Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, sail, sailing