Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2022, 09:21   #16

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Re: Russian ships going dark to avoid sanctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BTM View Post
Turning off the AIS does not constitute a hazard to navigation, unless you don't know anything about geometry or keep watch.
As long as they are still using Navigation lights, they would be safe.
Not unusual to come upon boats at night.
Don't usually see one unlit.
Radar will pick them up.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 12:35   #17

Quote:
Turning off the AIS does not constitute a hazard to navigation, unless you don't know anything about geometry or keep watch.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/401.20
Seems to be international law for 300 gross tons and greater, on international voyages.
Read here.
Boatyarddog
Old 30-03-2022, 12:56   #18

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

St. Lawrence Seaway has its own rules dealing with vessel's equipment.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 13:14   #19

There seems to be a misperception here that 40' sailboats and sportfishers and 800' tankers operate under the same set of rules with respect to AIS. There are a whole set of international agreements that generally require larger commercial vessels to operate with AIS in international waters, and many nations have specific rules about ship AIS operation in their territorial seas. Most of those don't apply to the size of boats those of us here operate, so equivocating the two doesn't make sense.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 13:32   #20

Quote:
St. Lawrence Seaway has its own rules dealing with vessel's equipment.
"A treaty, known as the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, requires large ships to have an Automatic Identification System (AIS) in operation at all times, with some specific exceptions. The AIS provides other ships and coastal authorities with the vessel's name, heading, speed and other information."
Boatyarddog
Old 30-03-2022, 15:01   #21

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
"A treaty, known as the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, requires large ships to have an Automatic Identification System (AIS) in operation at all times, with some specific exceptions. The AIS provides other ships and coastal authorities with the vessel's name, heading, speed and other information."
Boatyarddog
Of the many countries that have signed the treaty the majority of their ratifications excluded their warships.

For details about each individual countries reservations/exceptions here is the document: STATUS OF IMO TREATIES

So in reality, for most countries with significant navies, only their merchant ships over 300 tons must broadcast AIS.
Old 30-03-2022, 23:31   #22

Boat: Beneteau 50

This may explain why we were recently looking at a very large cargo ship (estimate 300m) that was not showing up on AIS. We thought at first our AIS must be broken, but all the others showed up fine. This was in the shipping lane south of the Great Australian Bight. Luckily in the daytime with good visibility.
Friends noticed that their Russian friends all suddenly disappeared off Face Book etc, as soon at the shooting started. Things getting weird - don't need that on top of all the COVID stuff that still makes international travel difficult.
Old 31-03-2022, 01:30   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyS View Post
Please keep in mind that 'Voice of America' is what it says - principally a propaganda outlet and about as reliable as 'Russia Today'. But do keep your eyes open, particularly at sea.

Adhering to the principles outlined in the Charter, VOA is accurate and objective in all of its reporting, programming, online and social media content. VOA staff avoid imbalance or bias in their news reports. VOA does not speak for the U.S. government. VOA staff do not accept treatment or assistance from U.S. government officials or agencies that is more favorable or less favorable than that of staff of private sector news organizations.
VOA pursues its mission by producing accurate, balanced and comprehensive reporting, programming, online and social media content for a global audience, particularly to those who are denied access to open and free media. VOA is a powerful and trusted source of information for all those who believe in freedom and democracy.

Russia Today is state propaganda. Voice of America are independent journalists. Yes, VOA is funded by the government. No, it's mission is not propaganda, at least not in the Russian sense of the word, where the message is dictated by the government, and is prone to outright lies with no public accountability or fact-checking.

As such, the level of credibility of Voice of America is a whole different category than Russia Today.

Don't just take my word for it. Here are the ratings from an organization who rates these things:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/voice-of-america/

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/rt-news/

Voice of America is rated 'least biased". RT is rated "questionable source".
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 10:05   #24

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
This is such nonsense. As an extremely experienced SCUBA diver I learned to dive on the most primitive gear, a lot of it military surplus. I can dive safely without a submersible pressure gauge, without a secondary air source (octopus), without an auto fill buoyancy compensator, or a compass or a dive computer or any number of devices common to modern diving. However, having those devices on my rig and at my and my buddy's disposal makes diving safer not only for me but for those around me and makes my diving more convenient. They also provide up to the minute data that can be significant in responding to emergencies or changing conditions.

AIS performs the same function, allowing a watch keeper to detect hazards far outside the range of their human senses. It is also a very effective tool in modifying the course and speed of your own vessel or communicating with another vessel to determine the safest and most efficient actions to avoid the risk of collision.

A lighted ship at night can be detected but depending on multiple environmental conditions you cannot always determine the course, speed, bearing, size or proximity to your vessel by another ship's lights. Even in the daytime your eyes cannot be relied on to always tell you what you need to know.

Yes, we all should be well versed in the info communicated by a vessel's lights and we should also have at hand a card to refresh our memories. We should also use our eyes and ears and binocs and get our heads out of our instrument panels and MFDs to see the reality around us. But to suggest that navigation is not more hazardous without the benefit of AIS is absurd.

How about we turn off our radars and our radios as well. Then the sea lanes would be perfectly safe.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 11:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani Kai View Post
This is such nonsense. As an extremely experienced SCUBA diver I learned to dive on the most primitive gear, a lot of it military surplus. I can dive safely without a submersible pressure gauge, without a secondary air source (octopus), without an auto fill buoyancy compensator, or a compass or a dive computer or any number of devices common to modern diving. However, having those devices on my rig and at my and my buddy's disposal makes diving safer not only for me but for those around me and makes my diving more convenient. They also provide up to the minute data that can be significant in responding to emergencies or changing conditions.

AIS performs the same function, allowing a watch keeper to detect hazards far outside the range of their human senses. It is also a very effective tool in modifying the course and speed of your own vessel or communicating with another vessel to determine the safest and most efficient actions to avoid the risk of collision.

A lighted ship at night can be detected but depending on multiple environmental conditions you cannot always determine the course, speed, bearing, size or proximity to your vessel by another ship's lights. Even in the daytime your eyes cannot be relied on to always tell you what you need to know.

Yes, we all should be well versed in the info communicated by a vessel's lights and we should also have at hand a card to refresh our memories. We should also use our eyes and ears and binocs and get our heads out of our instrument panels and MFDs to see the reality around us. But to suggest that navigation is not more hazardous without the benefit of AIS is absurd.

How about we turn off our radars and our radios as well. Then the sea lanes would be perfectly safe.
Agreed, why would you turn off AIS if you have it installed already!
AIS receive is readily usable to most Mariners now, Most Newer VHF Have AIS receive as A Function of D.S.C. Options.

The Transmitter isn't real expensive, and adds another level of Security.
It's use for Recreational Boaters is variable.
In conjunction with Radar, it's really nice to have aboard with a Decent Multifunctional Display CP.
Boatyarddog
Old 31-03-2022, 11:21   #26

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kijit View Post
That really is not accurate. VOA's charter requires it by law to provide news that is independent and objective. It does not report to any other USG agency. I worked for the parent agency for VOA for 18 years and personally have been in meetings where other government agencies wanted something in particular broadcast and VOA said "no". The journalists at VOA are very protective of their independence because that is how they maintain credibility overseas.
Old 31-03-2022, 11:22   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Of the many countries that have signed the treaty the majority of their ratifications excluded their warships.

For details about each individual countries reservations/exceptions here is the document: STATUS OF IMO TREATIES

So in reality, for most countries with significant navies, only their merchant ships over 300 tons must broadcast AIS.
For context, I've never seen a military vessel with AIS enabled.
I've had them come up in Blanket thick Fog without Signals of Any Kind, they don't signal, so how can I avoid them?

I try not to think about it, it's happen in The PNW, so many times now I just kinda nervously laugh it off.

It's ridiculous that they do that.

They seem to know I'm there, I can sometimes see them on the bridge deck with Binoks, looking at me as they silently slip by.

I sometimes chide warships, subs, (via radio), them for not signaling, Never got an answer back though.
Ferries on the other hand are very friendly, and will report positions and communicate if you inquire.
Boatyarddog
Old 31-03-2022, 12:45   #28

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:

I've had them come up in Blanket thick Fog without Signals of Any Kind, they don't signal, so how can I avoid them?

I try not to think about it, it's happen in The PNW, so many times now I just kinda nervously laugh it off.

It's ridiculous that they do that.

They seem to know I'm there, I can sometimes see them on the bridge deck with Binoks, looking at me as they silently slip by.

I sometimes chide warships, subs, (via radio), them for not signaling, Never got an answer back though.

Ferries on the other hand are very friendly, and will report positions and communicate if you inquire.

Boatyarddog
On the other hand, here in Canada (BC), I've often seen Canadian warships on AIS.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 12:56   #29

Quote:
Boatyarddog
Were you signaling?
Old 31-03-2022, 12:59   #30

The article appeared on my CNN page this morning.

"Russian ships going dark"
"Invisible to radar"

Who writes this crap?

Tags
Russia