Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 09:15   #1

Boat: Irwin MK III 37 Questeria
Route Transfer to/from Garmin/PC with SD Card

I just purchased a Garmin 4208 chartplotter. It has an SD card slot so I thought I would be able to transfer routes from my PC made with MapTech Offshort Navigator Lite by writing them to the SD card and reading them in on the Garmin. I have not figured out how to do it. Do I need to purchase some new software? If so, what is the best option? Does anybody else here do that?

Thanks, Ron
Ron_Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:22   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
There's nothing about that on the Garmin 4208 FAQ's

Search Support

I've got a smaller unit (540S) and as far as I can tell there's no way to do it that I've found yet. I seem to remember (manual is on the boat) that there might be a way to export your tracks, routes and waypoints. If so then there should also be a way to import them. Look on the "Information" menu for options.

4208 Manuals
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 20:04   #3

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I had the same problem, but I figured out a work around until I got a better setup.

I used Maptech Chart Navigator Pro on a laptop to preplan route and waypoint information with, then upload to a Garmin GPS76Cx. I then transfer that information from the GPS76Cx, to Garmin's MapSource program on the laptop. From MapSource I can transfer that information to a data card via a Garmin data card programmer, to be used in my Garmin 3210 plotter.

I now have a special powered adapter designed to be used between a serial port on the laptop, and the 3210 plotter, that allows me to transfer route and waypoint information directly from the laptop to the plotter.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 21:26   #4

I sent an email to Maptech about this situation, and this is their reply.

"The way the program communicates with a GPS directly is different from the way it would with a card reader, where files have to be written in a particular format. At the moment our programs are not able to store data onto Garmin cards, so a direct connection is the only option.

If you have any more questions let us know.

Jeff
Technical Support"
Old 12-06-2008, 04:55   #5

I looked at the Garmin website and I don't see any way to connect the 4208 to a PC. I have submitted this question to Garmin support and will let you know if I hear anything back.

Thanks, Ron
Old 12-06-2008, 11:23   #6

Ron, I think you can connect your PC to the 4208, the same way I connect my 3210.

It's a 18 or 19 pin (I forget what it is) plug on one end, (whether it's a male or female depends on the NMEA 0183 plug on the back of your plotter.), and the other end goes to the PC.

In my situation my Power/Data (NMEA 0183) cable in all in one, so I have to use a powered adapter cable to make the connection. In your case they separated the cable, with one cable for power and one cable for data...you will probably use a non powered adapter.

On the PC end of my cable it has a serial connection, because I have a dedicated serial port on my PC (I ordered my PC just for this situation). Unless you have a serial port on your PC, you may have to use a USB to serial adapter on your PC. You might be able to to use just USB, but I think not.

I did a search for the Garmin adapter I was looking for online, and found several sites that I could order it from. Garmin does not sell these adapters from their site, so you have to order them from 3rd party sites.
Old 17-11-2008, 04:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Fran View Post
I just purchased a Garmin 4208 chartplotter. It has an SD card slot so I thought I would be able to transfer routes from my PC made with MapTech Offshort Navigator Lite by writing them to the SD card and reading them in on the Garmin. I have not figured out how to do it. Do I need to purchase some new software? If so, what is the best option? Does anybody else here do that?

Thanks, Ron
A while back I emailed this question to Garmin and got a response saying that I needed to purchase Garmin's MapSource software. I was little hesitant, since Garmin's website does not list 4208 as one of the units supported, but I purchased the SW and I am now able to transfer routes, tracks and waypoints between my 4208 and PC using an SD card. I do have to have another program, POI Converter, to convert the routes to a format that can be used by my MapTech Offshore Navigator Lite.

Regards, Ron

Tags
garmin