Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2021, 12:12   #1

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60
route to Georgia

Come late October I'm planning to sail to Georgia. Boat is a 60' catamaran so intercostal is out of the question because of air draft. No problem going outside, crossed the pond a number of times, this time is just the three of us; myself, my wife and my water dog. So I plan to make day trips about 10hr max in between stops. NYC to the Cheseapeake done many times, best stops up to Norfolk?.Jump Hatteras under a good window and then it's all new to me, appreciate all suggestions. Draft 4'5", air draft 86', beam 29.....I'm a senior and like to relax after a sail, walk my dog (she goes on the trampoline when needed), sit down dinner, drink, sleep and sight seeing.
Love this forum, Thanks all
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 13:34   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: route to Georgia

I will take a shot at this.

Our catamaran is intercoastal capable, but we prefer using the ocean. My recommemdations

After Hatteras the next thing you come to is Cape Lookout. Anchoring in the bight is a favorite for us, and we have waited for weather here a few times. The surrounding beaches are good. Visit the light house. See if you can spot the wild ponies.

Morehead City is 5 miles to the west. Restaurants. There is a broad anchorage adjacent to the port with a short dinghy ride to restaurants.

Next stop is Masonboro Inlet. Anchorages are just in side the inlet, but consider riding south in the intercoastal to Carolina Beach. Reserve a mooring from the city. Good restaurants and a boardwalk to explore. There is a good grocery within walking distance.

The next port southward on the chart is Southport. There are marinas there but call ahead to see if they can accommodate you. Personally, I would skip Southport.

Next is Little River Inlet. Anchoring at Bird Island, just inside the inlet is very nice. Take the dinghy up to Calabash to buy fresh shrimp.

A short jump south is Winyah Bay. Time your arrival with the tide. Ride up to Georgetown to take a spot in a marina which you reserved well ahead of time. This is a favorite place to dine, shop, provision, and just walk around.

Heading south take the intercoastal through the marsh. There are a bunch of places to anchor here that are beautiful. Take your time here if you love birds, dolphins, fish, and sunrises.

Here is the secret sauce.... Head south to Five Fathom Cut and the exit into the ocean at Bulls Bay.

Charleston is next. Plenty to do here.

Georgia is a short hop away, but I can't help you with it. Ever since Georgia made it clear cruisers are not welcome with their anchoring law fiasco we have been completely bypassing Georgia. Our next stop would be St Augustine, which always pulls us in for longer than we intended with the dining, walking, and provisioning opportunities.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:07   #3

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60
Re: route to Georgia

Thanks Brent, will look at the suggestions. Did not know at the restrictions on anchoring. Very silly ordinances going up all over, not what it use to be. Need to be near Savannah and picked a marina (the only one in the area that is reasonable, accepts dogs and live aboard). days when you would anchor or pull up to a marina and get a slip are long gone.
good sailing to you
Carlos
s/v Mirelos
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgia, route