Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2015, 13:28   #1

Route Okinawa to Taiwan

Looking to depart Okinawa to southern Taiwan (Kenting) in mid November. I have a small sailboat and consider island hopping with 1st stop Mikako-Jima. I understand the currents around Taiwan need to be consider. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
todd knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 19:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Route Okinawa to Taiwan

I made several trips between Japan and the Philippines, always on the East side. Deeper water, better ride. I was never close to land, so didn't have any current problems.
If you don't have it, you could download Pub 120 Sailing Directions.

Here:
Maritime Safety Information

It's geared for ships, but has some useful info like ports that are typhoon havens.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 21:34   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Route Okinawa to Taiwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd knight View Post
Looking to depart Okinawa to southern Taiwan (Kenting) in mid November. I have a small sailboat and consider island hopping with 1st stop Mikako-Jima. I understand the currents around Taiwan need to be consider. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Todd and welcome to CF.

The large Kurishio Current is your primary concern, which is a north bound current going both sides of Taiwan at a varying rate of 2 to 4 knots.

The good part is that Japan Weather gives daily updates as it is so significant for passage making and fishing.

I've made a few return trips on yachts from Hong Kong to Japan.

Wind against this north bound current builds up some nasty seas, so actual weather forecast has a big bearing on whether you transit Taiwan via East or West coast.

Although you've chosen the November transition period. .. this year I expect you will already have a prevailing NE wind and would recommend going via West coast Taiwan, staying close to shore and getting less current via back eddies and more sheltered seas. However this side is shallower, so can build up quickly if wind turns against you.

If SW winds then staying outside the Kurishio main stream on East side should be considered

Personally, I would wait for NE winds.

Also, this has been a strange year for Typhoons, so plot a route that maximizes the number of typhoon shelters available to you.

Good luck and fair winds
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, Taiwan