Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2020, 11:25   #1

recommended or not

Not sue if this uestion should be in Navigation or general. Have done the Exumas twice and love it. Planning a trip to Eleuthera. My two chart books seem tot end in just the wrong spots for my travels. In a 5 foot draft monohull is it safely feasible to sail from Ship Channel cay north towards Egg Island or is that to shallow and risky. Is Nassau northeast to Egg Island the only way to go. Eleuthrea after looking at the charts seems to be a lot of shallow water sailing with very narrow cuts 'Devils Backbone" etc. Can one sneak in the south channel at Harbor Island or is it just to shallow t one point1 I love that Exumas allows deep sea fishing all day and then sneaking leeward for a calm anchorage. Will I be dissappointed with Eleuthrea. Lots of questions, but sometimes another persons experiences helps alot in decision making. Thanks in advance for help. I shall spend tomorrow with my chartbooks and pecan pie PS I have thrwon out jumping from mid Exumas over to southern Eleuthrea as anchorages seem few and poor., and somebody mentioned no-see-ems.
docwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 12:30   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44
Re: recommended or not

docwood, Nassau to Egg is certainly one way - there is a decent, but small anchorage just to the east in Royal Island. We've come down from Little Harbor in the Abacos to Royal a couple of times, then shot straight down to the top of the Exumas from there. We were in a cat, drawing 4 ft.

If you wanted to do Eluthera in a south to north trip, you could cross from Nassau SE to Highborne Cay for a stop, then across to Powell Point at the southern inside of Eluthera. From there you can dribble up the inside parts of the island with good wave protection from the east. We anchored in Governor's Harbour - small town with a grocery and some nice architecture in the homes on the hills. One interesting anchorage is in Hatchet Bay Harbor - narrow entrance that opens up to a protected bay. Current Cut, your passage to the north part of the island, has a pretty strong flow, so make sure you time that correctly to take best advantage.

From there we only ventured to and through Spanish Wells on our way back to Abaco. No experience with the lower Harbor Island question but the charts look doable on a high tide, should you venture all the way around the eastern side to enter by Whale Point. Best of luck - enjoy your cruising and Pecan Pie! Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 13:33   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

pstadt: Is Royal Island anchorage still open to public usage?

See also ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...as-159641.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 13:51   #4

Thank you. Gave me a lot to study
docwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men