Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 17:45   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2, Merit 25
Recommendation for laptop software with Explorer charts

I’m trying to nail down an operating system for my laptop (windows 10) that suites my needs. Coastal Explorer and Time Zero seem to be the Cadillacs in the industry.
That said, are there viable options that are less pricey and don’t have as many Bells and whistles? I don’t need to integrate with my autopilot, AIS, etc. A stand-alone system is fine. My only real need is to be able to accommodate explorer charts.

My main system is a raymarine e7D at the helm and at the chart table with c-map/explorer charts. I also have explorer paper charts. Just trying to creat some redundancy prior to an offshore passage.
Swift Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 18:30   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Recommendation for laptop software with Explorer charts

OpenCPN works on Win 10, MAC & Linux and is free as are all US waters charts. Explorer charts are not compatible but there are paid charts for Bahamas and Caribe available. There is an entire section here on CF dedicated to OpenCPN.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 18:35   #3

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was keen on opencpn until I found out that it’s not compatible with explorer charts.
Perhaps I’m making a bigger deal out of explorer charts. Or perhaps I need to just pony up and buy a Cadillac system.
Old 04-10-2018, 18:56   #4

I stopped using Coastal Explorer after their version 4 upgrade. I find OpenCPN to be much more flexible, especially with supported charts, chart groups, and the various plugins. Google Earth KAP files (GE2KAP) provides a nice supplement to available charts. If Rose Point/Coastal Explorer would provide more flexibility in managing multiple chart layers, I'd consider to keep using Coastal Explorer. Their chart management doesn't work with different sets of chart sources.

I'm also using qtvlm, WL2K Airmail and/or Winlink Express, Vesper vmAIS, Victron Connect, MS Word and Excel. I originally installed Windows 10 on my laptop (Panasonic Toughbook CF-53), but once had trouble connecting dial-up networking via SSB/satphone because Microsoft wanted to download a large update. Rather than wrestle with forced updates, I finally reverted back to Windows 8.1. Adding the "Classic Menu" makes Windows 8.1 usable. Just dreading each update Microsoft forces on Windows 10 (CandyCrush, Minecraft....)

Good luck,
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:10   #5

Boat: Valiant 42

Windows 10 will avoid updates for a while if you tell it the Internet connection is "Metered". But when you are back on good wifi let it update. The updates really are important. There are some nasty holes in computer security these days. And 8.1 has them too. So does Linux and MAC systems. Even smart phones have been patched recently with important security fixes.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:30   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 47

For the price of the Coastal Explorer or Timezero computer software you can almost buy a Tablet and use the Timezero app with Explorer charts. I have to admit I would have a tough time giving those up in the Bahamas.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:28   #7

Linux is by far the most stable and safe OS available, possibly uses the least amount of power and is free!
Perfect for OpenCPN.
F
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
For the price of the Coastal Explorer or Timezero computer software you can almost buy a Tablet and use the Timezero app with Explorer charts. I have to admit I would have a tough time giving those up in the Bahamas.

Whoa! This is an idea worth looking into. So if I buy a tablet as a platform, I can acquire timeszero with explorer charts with better pricing than if I were to obtain via laptop?
Old 05-10-2018, 16:45   #9

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Drift View Post
Whoa! This is an idea worth looking into. So if I buy a tablet as a platform, I can acquire timeszero with explorer charts with better pricing than if I were to obtain via laptop?

That is the way it used to be. They came out with a new app just last week but I think the charts are the same.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 21:58   #10

Just ordered an iPad Air 2 and a bad elf. Planning on using the TimeZero app. Thanks for the advice!

Tags
charts, laptop, men, software