Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2013, 10:30   #31
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Radio directional finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Bermuda still has some AM radio stations. Rotate a cast iron frying pan around your portable radio, and when you lose the signal, that the direction to the antenna. Gospel around here is to not go over the horizon without the frying pan.
Or, you could just follow the Longtails home.
Old 20-10-2013, 11:53   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter 36-80-82 Wanderer

All Coast Guard and military ships have them and sword fishing boats still use them with their beacon buoys to find their gear
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 12:06   #33

Boat: Irwin sloop

I had one that was a dandy. It was about 6"by8" and maybe 4" tall with a metal case, it had the bar antennae and a standard telescopic antennae with a selector switch for AM-FM-Marine and a switch for the BFO (Beat frequency oscillator) so you could hear the signal from lighthouses and radio transmitting buoys. Probably the "Real Deal" of it's day but not so effective anymore.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 14:14   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

RDF for AM band direction finding were the only cheap electronic means of getting an LOP from shore up until SatNav and later GPS came on the scene. You can still use them to get direction of AM radio stations but the accuracy has always sucked, big time, if the transmitter tower isn't almost on the water. Basically, they were useful for finding North America when sailing west in the Atlantic. Never did and wouldn't trust them to do more than tell the general direction of land as a last resort measure.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 15:31   #35
Eternal Member

I'm very fond of the RDF technology. It has saved my bacon several times, including one memorable sail up the Adriatic from Corfu to Dubrovnik in thick fog. I used radio stations in Bari and Brindisi on the Italian coast to provide "back sights" and guide us with enough accuracy to get there.

Still have five RDF units. I still carry two aboard my boat (Brooks and Gatehouse Homer/Heron model....shown below...and a Raymarine unit with a digital readout). These days they get used mostly for tuning AM stations, as do the three RDFs in my house....two are shown in the second photo below....in fact, they stay tuned to ESPN radio to provide the sports news at breakfast time.

As was mentioned above, RDF units are still in use for a number of specialized applications, like zero-ing in on VHF transmissions (USCG), homing in on the 121.5 mHz signals from EPIRBs, military uses, etc., etc.

Old technology? Yes, decidedly.

Still useful in the era of GPS? Yep, I think so, as do many others who use it for specialized purposes, for entertainment, and to kick up the nostalgia pangs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NavStn_0143.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	69035

This is the famous Brookes and Gatehouse Homer/Heron unit (upper left); the antenna with compass unit can be seen just below and to the right.

Name:	DSC_0044c.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	69036

These lovely little Japanese-built units were sold under several brand names. They are well built, have internal D batteries, have a good sound, and are often available in nearly new condition for around $50.

Re: the ambiguity of nulls and the use of the sense button, if you don't know which of two bearings 180-degrees apart is correct, you really shouldn't be out there :-)

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 16:23   #36

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Dedicated DF beacons - normally adjacent to light houses- for use by merchant ships were phased out when GPS appeared. The 3 linked beacons in Bass Strait -Otway/Schank/Wickham(KI) were turned off in the early '90s and the transmitter at Cape Schank was then used to transmit the signal for use with DGPS... it maybe still is.

Shore stations could also fix your position using a number of coast stations , that required the R/O to hold the key down for a spell will they got a fix on you. That was also used in distress working... in a typhoon we were once given our position in very short order when east of Okinawa by US stations ashore there... I was impressed.

A danger in using Aero beacons situated inland was/is refraction of the signal if it was crossing the coast at an oblique angle.
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 16:29   #37

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
......These days they get used mostly for tuning AM stations,....
Bill
That was also their primary use on the bridge of merchant ships during the 12 to 4 watch
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 18:13   #38

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Jeez I haven't seen one of those since the mid 80s. Didn't know anyone still used them.
Old 20-10-2013, 18:46   #39

I used to have a handheld RDF I used in Maine in the late 70's. It helped a lot. You can still buy one on Ebay.

Also on Ebay, is this great ad for RDF and radio telephone. It's a shame that so few of us wear a coat and tie anymore when using our radio...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-20 at 9.47.01 PM.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	69048  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 18:18   #40

Boat: Maine Cat 30

1987 was the last time I used one. On a charter boat. Couldn't afford a Loran C you know. I was quite comfortable with the RDF. It was a golly gee whiz bang hi tech gadget all right.
12BCruzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 13:49   #41

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Radio direction finding has lots of applications today, mostly tracking down interference signals.

The ferrite and loop systems for MF and HF still work of course but generally folks use pseudo-Doppler RDFs at VHF, UHF, and up. The four small vertical antennae on USCG small boats and Towboat/US boats are for pseudo-Doppler.

It's used for all kinds of things including sinking boats, EPIRBs, interferers, tracking down cell phones, LoJack, and more. You can build your own for marine VHF with a radio and about $300.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 13:53   #42

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Radio direction finding has lots of applications today, mostly tracking down interference signals.

The ferrite and loop systems for MF and HF still work of course but generally folks use pseudo-Doppler RDFs at VHF, UHF, and up. The four small vertical antennae on USCG small boats and Towboat/US boats are for pseudo-Doppler.

It's used for all kinds of things including sinking boats, EPIRBs, interferers, tracking down cell phones, LoJack, and more. You can build your own for marine VHF with a radio and about $300.
Where do I find plans?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 14:10   #43

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Where do I find plans?
Google psuedo-Doppler radio direction finding.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 09:53   #44

Boat: Last boat owned was an old steel ketch of some 65ft.

Crossing the Atlantic in '83 by the trade wind route in our 48ft cutter, we had great fun zeroing in on Antigua from about 800 miles out using our tranny (transistor radio with a rod aerial ) to guide us with reggae from an island radio station. Those were the days!!!!
Old Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 17:21   #45

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
I'm very fond of the RDF technology. It has saved my bacon several times, including one memorable sail up the Adriatic from Corfu to Dubrovnik in thick fog. I used radio stations in Bari and Brindisi on the Italian coast to provide "back sights" and guide us with enough accuracy to get there.

Still have five RDF units. I still carry two aboard my boat (Brooks and Gatehouse Homer/Heron model....shown below...and a Raymarine unit with a digital readout). These days they get used mostly for tuning AM stations, as do the three RDFs in my house....two are shown in the second photo below....in fact, they stay tuned to ESPN radio to provide the sports news at breakfast time.

As was mentioned above, RDF units are still in use for a number of specialized applications, like zero-ing in on VHF transmissions (USCG), homing in on the 121.5 mHz signals from EPIRBs, military uses, etc., etc.

Old technology? Yes, decidedly.

Still useful in the era of GPS? Yep, I think so, as do many others who use it for specialized purposes, for entertainment, and to kick up the nostalgia pangs.

This is the famous Brookes and Gatehouse Homer/Heron unit (upper left); the antenna with compass unit can be seen just below and to the right.

These lovely little Japanese-built units were sold under several brand names. They are well built, have internal D batteries, have a good sound, and are often available in nearly new condition for around $50.

Re: the ambiguity of nulls and the use of the sense button, if you don't know which of two bearings 180-degrees apart is correct, you really shouldn't be out there :-)

Bill
That's the one I remember late 70early 80's. I remember it being baby blue in color and the size of a full on record player with built in speakers. Minus the pennies taped to the record arm to keep it from skipping. Lol.

Tags
radio