Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2022, 19:54   #1

Boat: Catalina 36
Radar & GPS Chartplotter options

I sail in New England, mostly coastal cruising. My boat has very old electronics and my old Raytheon Pathfinder radar has failed and needs to be replaced. Although my Northstar chart plotter still works, I have decided to modernize my electronics starting with radar & GPS now and position me to add other electronics (wind, depth, speed) later as they fail.
I have done some research and are leaning toward either Raymarine or Garmin and would appreciate any feedback.
Garmin combo is GPSMAP 943xsv with GMR 18HD+ Radome and BlueChart G3 and LakeVu G3 Charts

Raymarine combo is AXIOM+ 9 Multifunction Display
Raymarine LightHouse Charts, plus Navionics
Quantum 2 Q24D Doppler 18" Radar with 10 Meter Power and Data Cable

The Raymarine package is about $500 more than the Garmin but am leaning towards Raymarine. I am a little concerned and confused in regard to charts. I currently use old Navionics charts but trying to understand what the future of Navionics will be since Garmin now owns Navionics, will that mean other companies like Raymarine will move away from Navionics? Are the Raymarine Lighthouse charts any good? Is there a particular chart that is better for New England?
In regards to Radar, I am assuming that solid state digital is the future and would be preferred over pulse. My radar usage is typically used under 4 miles range in fog (i don't sail at night).
Am I on the right track? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
mikeo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 08:04   #2

Re: Radar & GPS Chartplotter options

I guess the bottom line is does anyone have reservations with selecting either the Garmin or Raymarine systems?
Old 17-08-2022, 09:33   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36

We went with The Raymarine system over other options. I’ve been very pleased with their support and the flexibility of the system. They add new functions regularly although it’s about 20% focused on sailing. The radar is fantastic.

I don’t like garmin’s support or their business practices. And generally tried to avoid them. The seem to want to monetize every little thing and I haven’t found that with Raymarine.
PNWSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 10:53   #4

Thank you for your input. I have seen more boats using Garmin lately which is why I was wondering if I was missing something - perhaps it is because of price. Garmin seems to have started out more as a mapping company and is now branching into the marine area but beyond their charts I don't feel as confident ...
Old 17-08-2022, 11:07   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

IMHO, go to a retailer with plotters on display. Poke around the UI and see what suits you preference.

We ultimately chose raymarine as I felt I was more in tune with the UI. And I wanted to select charts from a source other than Garmin (we ended up using c-map charts).
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 11:15   #6

Boat: Other people's boats

As a system, Raymarine seems decent. My objections to it are more about their attempts at lock-in, e.g. proprietary cable connectors and limited wifi.

For example, on a boat with a B&G system I can connect my phone or tablet to the built-in wifi and it will have access to the NMEA data for wind, speed, AIS, etc. On a Raymarine boat with built-in wifi I don't have that access and am forced to use their app unless I install a 3rd party wifi gateway.

I can't really comment on New England chart coverage beyond my general observation that Navionics tends to have more detailed data for smaller inlets, rivers, etc. compared to NOAA charts, and many chart providers are just repackaging NOAA data. Best is if you can get a peek at someone's system who has the charts you are considering.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 11:25   #7

I see no evidence that Raymarine is going to lean away from Navionics. We use Raymarine because that is what came on our current boat (to which we've expanded) and that is what we installed on the previous boat. We chose Raymarine for the previous boat because they had an excellent deal at a local boat show for a GPS, Radar, MFD package.

I don't love their proprietary network.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 11:43   #8

Thanks, my plan is to go to the Newport, RI boat show next month and select the package for MFD, Radar, and chart plotter. When we haul the boat this fall I intend to have the mast unstepped to make the radome install easier. Thanks
Old 17-08-2022, 12:09   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo16 View Post
I guess the bottom line is does anyone have reservations with selecting either the Garmin or Raymarine systems?
Our current boat came with an installed Garmin plotter, radar, and DST sounder. A 7612xsv model, approx 5 years old and already at least two generations earlier than the 943xsv you're looking at. Had Bluechart and LakeVu G2 charts. I updated to G3. Garmin charges $100/year for chart updates.

The Garmin radar works pretty well but I wanted to extend the suite -- another plotter, AIS, a real fishfinder transducer -- and went with Furuno. Partly because I'm more familiar with Furuno (and TimeZero) from earlier experience.

Compare Garmin to Furuno: Garmin and NOAA vector charts seem similar enough. Furuno offers free annual NOAA vector and raster chart updates. (I haven't compared photo, 3D, etc. on both, since I rarely remember to use those features.)

Can't speak to current Raymarine products. Our inherited autopilot is a Ray ST8001 (or some such) and works fine. A plotter we had 20 years ago worked fine, but that's hardly useful current info.

I can mention if our radar or autopilot craps out, I'd replace each with Furuno.

-Chris
Old 17-08-2022, 12:34   #10

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
I sail in New England, mostly coastal cruising. My boat has very old electronics and my old Raytheon Pathfinder radar has failed and needs to be replaced. Although my Northstar chart plotter still works, I have decided to modernize my electronics starting with radar & GPS now and position me to add other electronics (wind, depth, speed) later as they fail.
I have done some research and are leaning toward either Raymarine or Garmin and would appreciate any feedback.
Garmin combo is GPSMAP 943xsv with GMR 18HD+ Radome and BlueChart G3 and LakeVu G3 Charts

Raymarine combo is AXIOM+ 9 Multifunction Display
Raymarine LightHouse Charts, plus Navionics
Quantum 2 Q24D Doppler 18" Radar with 10 Meter Power and Data Cable

The Raymarine package is about $500 more than the Garmin but am leaning towards Raymarine. I am a little concerned and confused in regard to charts. I currently use old Navionics charts but trying to understand what the future of Navionics will be since Garmin now owns Navionics, will that mean other companies like Raymarine will move away from Navionics? Are the Raymarine Lighthouse charts any good? Is there a particular chart that is better for New England?
In regards to Radar, I am assuming that solid state digital is the future and would be preferred over pulse. My radar usage is typically used under 4 miles range in fog (i don't sail at night).
Am I on the right track? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Couple of thoughts... I don't really know any sailors who use Furuno. If you were a racer I'd say B&G. For the rest of us cruisers Garmin and Raymarine make more sense.

Now we decide which one. Others have chimed in accurately on the Raymarine benefits and a couple of gotchas, though their proprietary network isn't that problematic if you stay all Raymarine. I mean I wouldn't recommend mixing things up anyways.

I like Navionics charts. Ray supports them but if you want something else you have options. Yes- they are pushing their Lighthouse charts. Personally I find them harder to read.

I am about to upgrade my old Raymarine MFD (E120) to Axiom 12+, then will upgrade to their Doppler radar next year (if you are buying radar the extra $$$ for Doppler is worth it).

In short, you get what you pay for and I personally think Raymarine's quality and service justfies the few extra dollars over Garmin.
Old 18-08-2022, 06:27   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Radar & GPS Chartplotter options

The quantum 2 Doppler is a far better radar then the garmin 18Hd so it’s not an apples and apples comparison

Garmins latest AP is much worse then the Evo1/2 I had all new garmin on my old boat all new ray marine on my current.

I met the head of raymarine cartography at METS ray intends to replace all navionics with lighthouse “ in time “. They do not intend to support garmin

Few leisure people buy furuno and their range is dated and fragmented imho.

Given your list Id go with Ray.

Note that Seatalkng is Nmea2000 except different connectors. Adapter cables to Devicenet connectors are readily available . I like the SeatalkNg connector systems as it’s easier to pull the cables then device net.
Old 18-08-2022, 06:42   #12

Thank you very much for your input. Much appreciated and sounds like Raymarine is the best path forward.
Thanks again
Old 18-08-2022, 06:48   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Thank you very much for your input. Much appreciated and sounds like Raymarine is the best path forward.
Thanks again

Yes. I’m just replacing all my helm instrumentation due to lightening and it will be the latest Ray gear. To me it’s a good compromise of reliability , features , support and costs.

That’s not to say Garmin was bad. I had unique access to the development team but we still couldn’t get the AP XTE issue sorted.
Old 18-08-2022, 07:18   #14

Boat: Brewer 12.3

Garmin will time you out after 7 years and not offer any support / parts. They have done this to me twice.
Oldwheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter, gps, radar