Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Puget Sound for a Week - Where To Go?

When you come out of Deception Pass and cross Rosario Straight, if you are looking for somewhere to go drop the hook instead of heading straight to Friday Harbor or elsewhere, consider doing your first night at Watmough Bay on the SE corner of Lopez. Great anchorage right across from Deception. It can be followed by a fun days sail up Rosario to Sucia.

Watmough Bay-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	San Juans Aug. 2012 034.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	46172   Click image for larger version

Name:	San Juans Aug. 2012 042.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	46173  

minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:20   #17

I think Coupeville has a town dock you can stay at too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 10:56   #18

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

Thanks again everyone. I returned last night, what a trip! I will do a full blog post soon, and update this thread.

Briefly:

Went up the East side of Widbey to the North side of Hope Island, just East of Deception. Then on to the West side of James Island. The winds picked up something fierce, maybe 20-25mph, with gusts above that. It is a deep anchorage (for me, 55 ft), but my anchor system held thank goodness. A camper on the shore had his tent blown down. From there to Sucia for two days - very nice. Then on to Friday Harbor, and yesterday a long ride south, across the Strait of J de F (it was glassy calm for much of it), and on into Edmonds on the Flood. I hit 9.7 knots just off of Port Townsend. Initially I was going to stay in Townsend, but the fun of doing this without my family was waning, and I wanted to get back and see them.

Most of the time I was motoring, probably 75%.

It was a great trip, and I hope to do a longer version with the family next summer.

Scott
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 11:18   #19

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMeilicke View Post
Thanks again everyone. I returned last night, what a trip! I will do a full blog post soon, and update this thread.

Briefly:

Went up the East side of Widbey to the North side of Hope Island, just East of Deception. Then on to the West side of James Island. The winds picked up something fierce, maybe 20-25mph, with gusts above that. It is a deep anchorage (for me, 55 ft), but my anchor system held thank goodness. A camper on the shore had his tent blown down. From there to Sucia for two days - very nice. Then on to Friday Harbor, and yesterday a long ride south, across the Strait of J de F (it was glassy calm for much of it), and on into Edmonds on the Flood. I hit 9.7 knots just off of Port Townsend. Initially I was going to stay in Townsend, but the fun of doing this without my family was waning, and I wanted to get back and see them.

Most of the time I was motoring, probably 75%.

It was a great trip, and I hope to do a longer version with the family next summer.

Scott
Sounds like great fun! We always enjoyed Hope Island- good trails and beach access. Good crabbing, too! Is the rope swing still there on the north side?

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 11:24   #20

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Sounds like great fun! We always enjoyed Hope Island- good trails and beach access. Good crabbing, too! Is the rope swing still there on the north side?

Frank
Hi Frank,

I didn't go ashore. It was high tide when I arrived, and I was tired, so I just enjoyed the view, made a good dinner, and called it a night. I thought I would go ashore in the morning, but between sleeping in, making a slow breakfast, and then having to get fuel and catch an 11:30 slack at Deception, I ran out of time! Next time.
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote