Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 06:07   #31

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Re: Poor customer service by Maxsea and C-Map, or don't sail to Easter Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I was just looking at google earth... checking up on something that had zero to do with this thread... ashore...up around BA and the top end of the Rio de la Plata... and it struck me that there is no detail once you leave the land.. and I mean knee deep.

Frinstance... on any day of the week there are between one and two dozen ships anchored off La Plata... on google earth...?... nada!

Any sign of the dredged channels into the Parana or the Uruguay?... nada!

The water is shown as blue... the waters of the Rio de la Plata haven't been blue in a million years... its brown....

GE is wonderful ashore.. I recently used it to measure the height of a tree at Campo de la Ping...

Afloat? Not worth a penny's worth of penguin poo .. imho... ymmv...e&oe ...etc
You may want to use the dated 'archive' views from the display menu (sorry, back translated from my French version).
I got those ships off La Plata
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	96705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image002.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	96706  

sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:53   #32

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Afloat? Not worth a penny's worth of penguin poo .. imho... ymmv...e&oe ...etc
I don't understand why not? One of the major benefits of GE chart overlays is in correcting the land position inaccuracies of the "official marine charts" in many places.

The color of the water or presence of other boats is inconsequential here - and most overlays are done with a transparency that allows the chart's depth and water datum to show through.

That alone makes it worth a lot of penguin poo to me.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:11   #33

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't understand why not? One of the major benefits of GE chart overlays is in correcting the land position inaccuracies of the "official marine charts" in many places.

The color of the water or presence of other boats is inconsequential here - and most overlays are done with a transparency that allows the chart's depth and water datum to show through.

That alone makes it worth a lot of penguin poo to me.

Mark
I wouldn't put too much faith in either the marine chart or GE being correct. The combination of aspect ratio, scaling, and registration of images on the geo frame seems at best to be an art, not a science. Eyeballs are probably the most trustworthy!

Although, I'll admit, GE is closer than any marine chart in the areas I frequent.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:45   #34

Boat: Outbound 44

FYI I do have cm93 etc as a backup. I just feel thatMaxsea could have easily remedied this issue and chose not to . They should suffer the social media consequences. I'll let you know if we find Easter Island in a month or so. We did stumble into San Cristobal, Galapagos last week.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:50   #35

Boat: 55'alloy performance cruiser

Hi Paul, Easter Island was one of my fave landfalls of all time. We had a hard beat down, as close hauled as our old Herrshoff would pinch, plowing into 6-8 foot seas for 10 or more days, but still worth it. We were into wind as soon as we left Isla Isabella. We were late though, into April.
We were treated very well and were delighted to find fantastic provisions, New Zealand lamb, turkey and good vegies. Of course the good Chilean wines were enjoyed as well.
Incidentally, it is the only country I have ever cleared out of where the port captain wanted to see that I had charts for our next intended landfall. They also called us many times to make sure we were aware of any weather concerns.
We spent two weeks there and only were blown out of one anchorage by clocking winds.
Regards, Greg
Mirar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 13:05   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Paul?
How do you feel about lobbing grenades?

Send a paper letter (better) or email to the Chilean State Department or some other carefully chosen agency, to inform them that Maxsea does not recognize their sovereignty over Easter Island, intentionally omitting it from their maps of Chile.

Carbon copy the letter to Maxsea.

One never knows...some governments are awfully touchy about these things.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 13:45   #37

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Paul, Are you turning left or right after Easter Island?

If heading to Chile proper check you Maxsea charts for the waters south of Golfo de Penas against your CM93 ones running under OpenCPN. I will be very surprised if there is any difference between the two. Last time I looked at Maxsea on another boat they were identical but that was a few years ago.

Which means that they are quite basic and have significant errors in longitude in many areas .
Most people just buy the big Chilean Chart Atlas - 'Atlas Hidrográfico de Chile' - Servicio Hidrográfico Oceanográfico de la Armada de Chile which has every Chilean chart in it at a reduced scale, make sure you have a good magnifying glass.

SHOA put out electronic charts but they are not cheap. Servicio Hidrográfico Oceanográfico de la Armada de Chile

Left hand pic....openCPN at maximum magnification before getting the 'over zoom' warning.... right hand my BB display at 'best scale'. Area shown is south of Pto Eden... the CMap people probably just used the BA or US charts which aren't a lot of use in their paper form either....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cpn.png
Views:	206
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	96911   Click image for larger version

Name:	cm93:bb.png
Views:	197
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	96912  

Old 09-02-2015, 23:42   #38

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:

Left hand pic....openCPN at maximum magnification before getting the 'over zoom' warning.... right hand my BB display at 'best scale'. Area shown is south of Pto Eden... the CMap people probably just used the BA or US charts which aren't a lot of use in their paper form either....
I fail to see your point
The CM93 pic you show is at scale (about) 1/90 000. It is based on the Chilean chart (SHOA) 9000 at scale 1/500 000, which you show on your second pic, not on a US NGA or BA chart.
Now the CM93 chart at scale 1/500 000 looks (obviously) exactly the same as yours at the same scale...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	96920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image002.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	96921  

sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:03   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
I fail to see your point.
My point is that, south of Golfo de Penas, CM93 charts should be used with great caution as in many areas they aren't much good, due to lack of detail and errors in longitude.
There are a few exceptions... around Paso Shoal they are OK and also through the guts of Magellan.

'Mariners be warned' etc.

I carry the Chilean Chart Atlas and a reasonably comprehensive set of original Chilean paper.... total investment about $400 maybe.
Old 26-03-2015, 10:54   #40

Boat: Lafitte 44

Posting to follow later at home on pc.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-03-2015, 08:28   #41

Hi el Penguino.

I've just came north through the Chilean channels, actually in Puerto Aguirre now, and have been using Maxsea with jepperson charts and found them to be amazingly accurate. Much superior to the CM93 v2 that I have. My Jepperson charts are 2013 so quite up to date. Chile has released a lot of chart updates in the last few years.

To anybody else coming this way you need to buy the Chilean Chart atlas as el Penguino said, 70USD.

As for the whining about Easter Island not being on the packages from Maxsea. You can see that from the coverage information before you buy so all threats about them not delivering are hot air.

You could use opencpn and buy the s63 chart from chart world if you must have it.

Chris
S/Y Morgane
http://www.tweedsworld.com

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 12:18   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Hi el Penguino.

I've just came north through the Chilean channels, actually in Puerto Aguirre now, and have been using Maxsea with jepperson charts and found them to be amazingly accurate. Much superior to the CM93 v2 that I have. My Jepperson charts are 2013 so quite up to date. Chile has released a lot of chart updates in the last few years.......

Chris
S/Y Morgane
http://www.tweedsworld.com
Gday Chris, thats good to know... I may after all these years have to invest in some 'real' electronic charts.

So , speaking as the owner of the other one, you are actually at sea on that semi-derelict of yours.....? 'Her eastern side was chock-a-block with a mix of near-derelicts ....' Sequitur

My now not quite so semi-derelict goes back in the water in a few days

Cheers,
Ping
Old 28-03-2015, 12:19   #43

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
As for the whining about Easter Island not being on the packages from Maxsea. You can see that from the coverage information before you buy so all threats about them not delivering are hot air.
Yea, here's the clear image that Maxseas website shows so "you can see".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	maxsea.gif
Views:	194
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	99602  
Old 28-03-2015, 13:41   #44

El P, and all,

I'll extract some screen shots Comparing the CM93 that I'm sure we all have with the Jepperson here in Chile. But actually uploading will probably have to wait till I'm at more internet capable destination

And yes she is not as derelict as she was and arguably not ready to go but sometimes you just have to go. Got quite a jobs list for Valdivia.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-03-2015, 17:22   #45

MaxSea Jeppesen C-Map 2013 and CM93 v2 2011 side by side

Area show in Angostura Inglesa, just north of Puerto Eden

Hopefully this upload works over my phone connection. Moving on in the morning so no internet for a while

Chris

Tags
c-map, maxsea, sail, service