Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2013, 14:18   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR
Peurto Vallarta area

So list. Here's the dilemma. I've got Open CPN and all the charts available, plus paper charts for the area, BUT The one chart 21338 just shows the harbour by PVR and the other 21017. Our boat is in PVR. Now no other charts show anything that has any detail. I have the cm93 charts that do show something but not great on detail. Does anyone else have anything or know where I can locate something better or am I left using my eyes and depth sounder. I don't have any plotter and did consider the Navionics Gold suite which means I would probably invest in a Ipod, but they would probably not give me anything more than what I have or would they. any thoughts or ideas would really be helpful.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 04:27   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Silverton 33' "First Noel"
Re: Peurto Vallarta area

You can look at the charts that Navionics has to offer on thier web site. under Products click on WebAPP. you will be able to view any chart in the world.
JNoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 13:03   #3
Marine Service Provider

i got the noaa americas pack,would e mail you the charts you want if you like.
imaraguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 13:36   #4

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

As I recall the NavStar raster chart configuration had us about 6 blocks inland when we hit the surf line one night between the entrance to PV harbor and the new marina and hotel complex a few miles north. Fortunately, we spotted one of the range lights for the harbor theough the maze of hotel lights, backed off and got the range lined up for entry. The charts were all out by about 1 1/2 miles. Hopefully they have been corrected since then (about 2002). Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 13:56   #5

We spent a few months there; we're currently in Mazatlan headed over to Baja in a couple of days.

Chart inaccuracy is notorious there. With those little islands and rocks scattered south of Punta Mita and then the prison colony islands off San Blas, I only go through there with the mk1 eyeball. I've found paper charts helpful in that area because there are random lights (and unlit lights) that you can mark with a bearing and get a good position on. With the Marias being mis-charted by a few miles it's more important (to me) to have a bearing on the lights than what my chart tells me.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 16:12   #6

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

+1, Rebel Heart!
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 09:38   #7

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR

Ya, figured as much for charts. I should start my own charting in that area and post it one day seeing as though I'll be around there for a long time. Not sure how I'll do it though. Have the new Charlie's charts for the coast. Had an older one that we got with the boat and thought I would get the 2013 Edition. Basically had everything the old one had. Waste of $94. Oh well. Live and learn.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 14:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnimigon View Post
Ya, figured as much for charts. I should start my own charting in that area and post it one day seeing as though I'll be around there for a long time. Not sure how I'll do it though. Have the new Charlie's charts for the coast. Had an older one that we got with the boat and thought I would get the 2013 Edition. Basically had everything the old one had. Waste of $94. Oh well. Live and learn.
One other thing I'd add is an uncharted light at or around N 22° 02', W 105° 38'. Flash red at three seconds. I couldn't find any coastal town or reason for it being there, but there it was. Isabella to port and unknown flash red to starboard.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote