Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2012, 23:24   #16
pop

Boat: Nordsea 43 53 foot
Re: Passage Plan - Langkawi to Perth

Think I better chime in here. Thanks for posting this Dan. First- the only reason we are heading to Perth is we left all our goods and chattles there when we headed to Thailand to buy the boat--will be heading off to NSW as soon as possible where family and property is. I would love to stay in Asia but finances say I must go home for awhile to replenish the kitty. The preference to take option 2 (Indian ocean) was to take advantage of the Indian Ocean counter current and the prevailing winds to Perth. Don't want to be fighting the wind and coastal currents all the way down. We plan on staying at Christmas Island until we are sure the last of the cyclones in the north of Australia are over. While we have a 6 cylender diesel we only carry 400ltr of fuel. I am thinking of throwing on a 200ltr drum. I have an earlier copy of Jimmy Cornell book I got much of my data from but thanks 'Lease on Life' for the link--I have downloaded the pages
Mike
pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 03:24   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop
Think I better chime in here. Thanks for posting this Dan. First- the only reason we are heading to Perth is we left all our goods and chattles there when we headed to Thailand to buy the boat--will be heading off to NSW as soon as possible where family and property is. I would love to stay in Asia but finances say I must go home for awhile to replenish the kitty. The preference to take option 2 (Indian ocean) was to take advantage of the Indian Ocean counter current and the prevailing winds to Perth. Don't want to be fighting the wind and coastal currents all the way down. We plan on staying at Christmas Island until we are sure the last of the cyclones in the north of Australia are over. While we have a 6 cylender diesel we only carry 400ltr of fuel. I am thinking of throwing on a 200ltr drum. I have an earlier copy of Jimmy Cornell book I got much of my data from but thanks 'Lease on Life' for the link--I have downloaded the pages
Mike
Hi Mike - I wrote you an email this morning directing you to this thread but the ipad crashed and lost it. Then I hadda gota work...

Glad you found it.

I think consensus is the Indian ocean route and your planning continues to seem reasonable.

Keith's message has good advice staying west till you get close to Perth's lattitude and come in reaching.

Cheers!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 03:29   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

ExC, are you part of the proposed crew?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 03:37   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname
ExC, are you part of the proposed crew?
I wish like hell... I think its gonna be a blast. Unfortunately getting that much time off isn't in the cards:-(

But I also have entirely selfish reasons for option 1.

- Would love to get more time on Ann
- Would love spend more time with Mike and his Admiral
- Would love to go poking around the southern islands on a great boat like Ann
- would love to race Ann in our clubs beer can races. Her PY has to be up around 175 - LOL

And

- @Mike - Ms. P arrives April 16 and you'll miss her :-( but I know you guys gotta get moving
Old 15-03-2012, 03:53   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I wish like hell... I think its gonna be a blast. Unfortunately getting that much time off isn't in the cards:-(
B*gger, I was hoping to get a chance to say Hello in person!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 15-03-2012, 03:55   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop View Post
Think I better chime in here. Thanks for posting this Dan. First- the only reason we are heading to Perth is we left all our goods and chattles there when we headed to Thailand to buy the boat--will be heading off to NSW as soon as possible where family and property is. .......
Mike, are you leaving the boat in Perth or sailing on to Sydney, if so, how and when?
Old 15-03-2012, 04:59   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

looking at the photos
you might want to get rid of the deck cargo if going off shore.
the indian ocean can be very bumpy.........................
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 06:33   #23

Boat: sloop 8.68m

Motor sail her, take every wind shift you can. You could carry diesel on deck, up in asian but use it up before you hit the indian ocean.
I gotta tell you something: i got a floggin in the andeman sea..wind against tide, very steep seas..was super dangerous if you broached.
In the option 1 you can just motor sail and try to enjoy the trip, but it is a hard sail.
I just flew into Karratha today and i can see Daimper from the air... cyclone looking weather. Can tell you wind direction here tomorrow after work.( i'm guessing it will be from the north).
insalt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 06:42   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by insalt72 View Post
Motor sail her, take every wind shift you can. You could carry diesel on deck, up in asian but use it up before you hit the indian ocean.
I gotta tell you something: i got a floggin in the andeman sea..wind against tide, very steep seas..was super dangerous if you broached.
In the option 1 you can just motor sail and try to enjoy the trip, but it is a hard sail.
I just flew into Karratha today and i can see Daimper from the air...cyclone looking weather. Can tell you wind direction here tomorrow after work.( i'm guessing it will be from the north).
Not surprising really
Tropical Cyclone Track and Threat Map Image - System 1
Old 15-03-2012, 17:05   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll
looking at the photos
you might want to get rid of the deck cargo if going off shore.
the indian ocean can be very bumpy.........................
What is not apparent and is very cool about Ann is that all those deck boxes are bolted to the deck. They have been used to store jerry cans (diesel and petrol), sails and other gear. This was a cool feature and I think better than lashing stuff to the lifelines. They are as solid as the rest of this cement beauty queen.

The box on the front end of the coach roof houses the genny. Completely enclosed with breather holes. Another cool feature. The genny is out of the weather and up off the deck.

Under the boom is a table. One end supported by the air conditioner condensor and motor. A cool spot to eat.

The chain lockers are just in front of the mast below deck. The gypsy is at the base of the mast. The main halyard can be wrapped on the capstan for raising. It's a heavy gaff and sail so this is a nice feature.

While the dinghy davits are home made and a bit light to me, the owner made a dedicated outboard storage bracket just in front of the deckhouse on the starboard side that has a lift crane. Another workload reducer.

The deckhouse was added later but integrated well. The front, roof and back are solid but all the side canvas rolls up. Steering from here is like standing in a trawler or something. Completely dry but good airflow. And in great weather all the canvas can be rolled open.

The back porch houses the rudder, tiller pilot (attached to rudder vane), propane tanks and BBQ. No gas to accumulate anywhere inside.

The PO was first owner. He had the hull professionally laid but he and his family were marine engineers and designed the fitout. The fitout was very thoughtful and the boat has a lot of nice and efficient features.

Ann looks a bit weird until you get aboard. Athen you realize how functional most everything is. It was built to go far, safely. She is like a big truck and she is low cost. Of course the big sacrifice is speed and IMO she is happy at 5 knots max. Above that the loads on the rig are pretty high.
Old 15-03-2012, 17:11   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname
Oh, joy:-(

That met report is a good resource.

So is end April more prudent?

I'd love to visit Perth but unfortunately haven't a good reason to do so. Business is with the airlines in Auckland, Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
Old 15-03-2012, 19:29   #27
pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Mike, are you leaving the boat in Perth or sailing on to Sydney, if so, how and when?
We are taking the boat over the top. Want to visit daughter in Cairns and then down to the Clarence river in NSW. As people have pointed out--there are not many facilities in WA and most of the anchorages seem too shallow for us. We draw 2.1 meters. There is a habour/bay about 30 miles north of Perth (haven't the ref with me at the moment) I have spotted and will be emailing them soon. We only want to be in WA for a week at most--much of the time will be spent sorting ot gear as we have 3 years of goods in storage and not all will fit on board
Mike
Old 15-03-2012, 20:41   #28

Boat: Traditional 30

I am confused!!! Why not sail direct to Darwin and have your goods n shattles shipped there to save the 'slog' down the WA coast? WA looks like a 2000 nm detour at this. stage
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 01:18   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop View Post
We are taking the boat over the top. Want to visit daughter in Cairns and then down to the Clarence river in NSW. As people have pointed out--there are not many facilities in WA and most of the anchorages seem too shallow for us. We draw 2.1 meters. There is a habour/bay about 30 miles north of Perth (haven't the ref with me at the moment) I have spotted and will be emailing them soon. We only want to be in WA for a week at most--much of the time will be spent sorting ot gear as we have 3 years of goods in storage and not all will fit on board
Mike
Two Rocks??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
I am confused!!! Why not sail direct to Darwin and have your goods n shattles shipped there to save the 'slog' down the WA coast? WA looks like a 2000 nm detour at this. stage
Me too, actually say 3 or 4 thousand nm by the time to go to Perth and then back up north
PLUS Mike will be heading to Darwin and over the top in the dry (easties) and then down the Qld coast into south easterlies all the way so that seems many thousands of miles coastal cruising wind on the nose all the way.
Old 18-03-2012, 19:04   #30
pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Two Rocks??
Yes Two Rocks- Have sent them an email but still waiting for reply