Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2020, 11:00   #1

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
Parallel rule/distance question

To those smarter than me... when measuring between 2 points on a chart that is longer than my parallel rule is there a trick other than grabbing a longer ruler to connect the dots?

Thanks for the help

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 11:06   #2

Boat: Swallowed the anchor
Re: Parallel rule/distance question

If you have a pair of dividers, set the dividers to a known distance on the chart's scale and "walk it off" by going point to point.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 11:09   #3

I am trying to draw the course line to measure degrees on the compass rose. I can’t connect the dots with the parallel rule. I did it with a yard stick but was curious if there is a trick using normal plotting tools.

Thanks
Old 19-04-2020, 12:08   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

If I understand your question, you can "walk" parallel rulers all over a chart regardless of how far apart the points are located. This is their purpose...to move a line parallel to the original to another point on the chart. For example, from a course line to the nearest compass rose.

A good demostration here:

https://youtu.be/xKSBYfscA80

You can use a similar technique to extend a line or connect two points which are seperated by a distance longer than the parrallel ruler.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 12:27   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

The only ways I know to make sure your course line intersects the two dots are

a) the obvious- use a longer straight edge or

b) a second ruler/straight edge that is placed such that the two rulers overlap for about 3”. This effectively lengthens the original ruler.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 12:29   #6

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I am not asking my question clearly. I understand walking with the parallel rule. My question is not as much for practical usage but for testing. With testing, the answer (as I understand) have to be within 2 degrees. I don’t feel like I can guess the angle between 2 places at opposite ends of the chart and walk the line accurate enough to be with in 2 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	198D47BF-C4DE-4E03-87A2-67C39F63EA30.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	449.6 KB
ID:	213227  
Old 19-04-2020, 12:30   #7

Thanks snore. That’s all I could come up with. Was thinking there might be some trick I was missing.
Old 19-04-2020, 12:53   #8

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

A "trick" that has almost always worked for me: Use the edge of the chart. It's straight. Just use the edge of the paper to extend the line of the rules. It is always there...

Depending on how you fold/roll your charts it might not work for you, but it is one I keep in my back pocket for those long course or bearing lines.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 13:01   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
A "trick" that has almost always worked for me: Use the edge of the chart. It's straight. Just use the edge of the paper to extend the line of the rules. It is always there...

Depending on how you fold/roll your charts it might not work for you, but it is one I keep in my back pocket for those long course or bearing lines.
You can also use this trick to mark some intermediate points and then walk off and draw a straight line w the parallel ruler.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule