Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2014, 08:39   #1

Paper charts (or not?) in the caribbean

Does anyone know if theres possibility in Dominican Republic to buy paper charts somewhere? Or does people relay solo on a plotter for navigation?

I wonder if it's dead stupid to just go on the plotter and then maybe have a backup with digital charts on my Android tablet? I will also have a handheld GPS as backup for position and direction. I'll be sailing thru the caribbean and have also guidebooks that looks pretty darn detailed regarding harbour areas.

How does people normally do? How many backups are necessary? Should one get paper charts as well or are they not that necessary?
Unhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 09:27   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Paper charts (or not?) in the caribbean

If you can't get paper charts in the DR, you can in PR by at the worse mailing them in from the US through the US postal service. You could probably make PR from the DR without paper charts…

The whole chart thing has been debated endlessly here - search for the threads.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 09:31   #3

Thanks Colemj, yes I've found several threads about the paper issue. Yes, let's not go into it again. Sorry for spamming. Just now reading about this openCPN for my Macbook. Will try that as well!
Amazing source of information here at CF. I'm learning by the minute!
Unhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 09:42   #4
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

nice save. You'll do well here.

Another source of info on the more common destinations in the DR are the various cruising guides. The better ones typically have some kind of graphic representations of approaches, pier and marina locations, fuel docks, etc. While not to a level of something like the Explorer Charts for the Bahamas, they are sufficient for navigation under ideal conditions I believe.

you could also contact the people at Ocean World. I've had some correspondence with them via email in the past and they were pretty helpful with info. They'd know of any existing local charts and what others are using.
Welcome to Ocean World Marina, a full service caribbean yacht-boat marina in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.
Old 23-11-2014, 10:34   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

During our circumnavigation I had paper charts on board of every place we sailed. I would not do it any other way. Lightning happens and electricity fails. Charts keep on keeping on.

Psychologically, I feel better with a chart in my hand. Psychology is part of the game whether you are doing coastal sailing or whether you are offshore.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, charts, rib