Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2022, 15:59   #1

Paper Charts

Hi All, I am looking for a set or sets of paper charts to cover the US east coast from Norfolk down through the Florida Keys. Navigational Charts, not tourist books, but open to these if they have useful charts. Basically I am looking for Paper backups to my electronics. Access to land and ports from the ocean, not looking for ICW guidebooks. Where can I purchase these and what specific charts or books would you recommend?
Thanks,
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 17:09   #2

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Paper Charts

I'm on the opposite coast so others might have better local suggestions, but...

You can order paper charts from many different chart vendors; I've used these guys in the past: https://www.nauticalchartsonline.com...Atlantic-Coast

You can also download PDF copies of NOAA charts and print them yourself. Note that NOAA is busy cancelling paper chart production, meaning that some charts at the site linked above won't be listed here: https://www.charts.noaa.gov/Interact...log/nrnc.shtml Instead, you could use their custom chart tool to build printable charts as a replacement.

You may also find a copy of this book useful: https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/...ml.html?book=4 (also available in dead tree format from places like the first link)

The cost of paper charts can add up quickly, so consider limiting them to a handful of small-scale charts sufficient for emergency navigation, and instead download a complete set of ENC charts to a tablet as a primary backup.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 18:40   #3

Boat: CLC Skerry

You want Maptech or Richardson chartbooks. Order online.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 22:14   #4

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

I second the chart book option as it tends to be the most cost-effective option for a good selection of charts. I purchased the Maptech books for the East coast.

You didn't fill out what boat you have in your profile, so I can't really anticipate what your style of use will be. If you have a pilot house for example, you should be good to go. If you intend on using these outside, look at purchasing an upgraded plastic sleeve for the dimensions of the book you are purchasing. The plastic covers that Maptech comes with for example isn't made with heavy use in mind and the seams will split open.

If you fold the book open to the desired page you can put it back in the sleeve and then make your marks on the plastic for basic piloting. I would opt for a grease pencil.

Finally, depending on your cockpit layout, you might want a suitable paperweight to stop the chart flying off. A waterproof glove filled with sand and a zip tie on the cuff makes for a useful "helping hand" and a pair of them do a good job holding a chart down in a mild blow.

I would also recommend using an app on your phone as an additional backup. We were using charts as our primary navigation, got hit by a nor'easter with all our sail set, and ended up drenching our charts and with the gusts of wind our pages started becoming detached from the spiral binding and flying away. My partner saved Nantucket, but we lost Portland, which was unfortunately our next port of call. I just think it's amusing that we were using paper charts and had to rely on our electronics for backup!

Still, always +1 for belt and suspenders approach.
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 14:28   #5

Boat: 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA

Build what you need here ... print out what you want, at the scale you want.
https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/index.html
Or you can just dl the .pdfs of the charts here and print out what you want ... make a trip book.
https://charts.noaa.gov/InteractiveC...html#mapTabs-1
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 05:23   #6

Boat: 1983 Pearson 34

I just finished that trip. I have charts for you. Cheap. Message me and we can talk about particulars

Jeff
JeffDPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 17:59   #7

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I have what I am seeking coming together.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts