Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2017, 21:56   #1

Panama to Los Angeles - Need advise

Hello,

We are purchasing a boat from Curacao. The plan is to bring her back up from there via Panama to Los Angeles.

She is an Irwin 68ft Ketch, 90,000lbs, Perkins 135 Diesel and in good order.

Does anyone have any advise of any kind? Routes? Costs? Time and best season window?

Cheers
joshrosenthal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 05:43   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Re: Panama to Los Angeles - Need advise

That is entirely do-able but its still nearly 4000 miles. Curacao to Panama is pretty straightforward: a down wind run. Last month in very strong winds I did it in a 43 footer. As always, I did find the seas in the Western Caribbean to be pretty large!

Having cleared into Panama you'll have to arrange the canal transit. This, you can do yourself but it involves a bit of running around. The transit requires 4 line-handlers for the locks but there are lorts of people around who want to do it. Worst case is you hire however many you need at $120/day plus a bit of food. The transit for yachts starts in the late afternoon and you tie to a buoy in Gatun Lake. Then an early start next morning puts you on the Pacific side late afternoon. I always use my agent who arranges absolutely everything from clearance in, transit, cruising permit, clearance out and always seems to be able to get me through quickly...

After that its an uphill slog! In a big Irwin it will be bearable and you can of course, coast hop. If you have specific questions pm me.
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 07:34   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

When do you expect to leave Curaçao?

Time of year makes a BIG difference in sea state off Colombia. The SW Carib gets seasonal NE trade winds. They start to fill in around December and fade around May. When the trades are really blowing it can get quite interesting off Colombia. However, in the Summer months it settles down considerably. I assisted an owner with a rather tame delivery from Curaçoa to Colombia to Panama this summer...no big winds, no big seas. Take a look at Pilot Charts for the region.

Note too that the area of higher sea states off Colombia can vary quite a lot...both in terms of sea state and area of coverage. It can be very compact just off the Colombian coast or expand to almost Panama and Nicaragua. The current state of this feature is the most significant weather routing consideration.

If you go the Colombia route a second significant feature to plan for is the Rio Magdelena. There is an existing thread here discussing this route and the Magdelena...I would find it for you but the mobile app search function still sux (mods: suggestion).

The route(s) are pretty straight forward. Either just sail directly from Curaçao to Panama or stop over in Colombia. Both Santa Marta and Cartagena are common, and very pleasant, stops...we stopped at both on the run I made this Summer. Cartegena is awesome.

Even in trade winds months you can find reduced seas states (note "reduced" not necessarily small) very near the Colombian coast...this is another reason many stop in there.

Either way, your ports of entry in E Panama are Linton Bay Marina (LBM), Portobello, or Colon/Shelter Bay Marina (SBM). I suggest clearing in at LBM and then visiting the San Blas islands...beautiful area with a unique indigenous culture...shame to skip it. Unfortunately at this time there are no ports of entry in the San Blas.

Off Panama there is a large gyre current that you should take into consideration. The winds also back as approach Panama.

Most elect to dock at SBM prior to a canal transit. Its a nice full service marina, but a bit spendy (by W Carib standards anyway).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 07:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
When do you expect to leave Curaçao?

Time of year makes a BIG difference in sea state off Colombia. The SW Carib gets seasonal NE trade winds. They start to fill in around December and fade around May. When the trades are really blowing it can get quite interesting off Colombia. However, in the Summer months it settles down considerably. I assisted an owner with a rather tame delivery from Curaçoa to Colombia to Panama this summer...no big winds, no big seas. Take a look at Pilot Charts for the region.

Note too that the area of higher sea states off Colombia can vary quite a lot...both in terms of sea state and area of coverage. It can be very compact just off the Colombian coast or expand to almost Panama and Nicaragua. The current state of this feature is the most significant weather routing consideration.

If you go the Colombia route a second significant feature to plan for is the Rio Magdelena. There is an existing thread here discussing this route and the Magdelena...I would find it for you but the mobile app search function still sux (mods: suggestion).

The route(s) are pretty straight forward. Either just sail directly from Curaçao to Panama or stop over in Colombia. Both Santa Marta and Cartagena are common, and very pleasant, stops...we stopped at both on the run I made this Summer. Cartegena is awesome.

Even in trade winds months you can find reduced seas states (note "reduced" not necessarily small) very near the Colombian coast...this is another reason many stop in there.

Either way, your ports of entry in E Panama are Linton Bay Marina (LBM), Portobello, or Colon/Shelter Bay Marina (SBM). I suggest clearing in at LBM and then visiting the San Blas islands...beautiful area with a unique indigenous culture...shame to skip it. Unfortunately at this time there are no ports of entry in the San Blas.

Off Panama there is a large gyre current that you should take into consideration. The winds also back as approach Panama.

Most elect to dock at SBM prior to a canal transit. Its a nice full service marina, but a bit spendy (by W Carib standards anyway).

Thanks for this. I will digest it all. My real query is the trek on the west coast back up to California. Is there a period or season that is best? Or is it better to tack up ? What's best for the boat insofar as not placing too much undue stress on everything?
joshrosenthal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 12:15   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrosenthal1 View Post
Thanks for this. I will digest it all. My real query is the trek on the west coast back up to California. Is there a period or season that is best? Or is it better to tack up ? What's best for the boat insofar as not placing too much undue stress on everything?
For heading up the Central American coast you'll want to get the Sarana guides -- available online. They have the most up to date info on the area. Once you get north of say El Salvador you need to deal with hurricane season. Also, if you do the Panama and the CA in the wet season you have a significant risk of lightning damage. If you haven't been in the area, it is really amazing the number of boats that get hit.

You obviously can take the long offshore approach and go for sailing, or go up the coast and plan on motoring and stopping.
Old 29-01-2017, 13:09   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Urbanczyk in his book says it is faster and easier to get out of Panama, sail a big offshore loop then sail back inshore. The direct route is much longer (in time) in his account. He did both.

Immediately out of Panama mind part of the year the light wind zone is just below or actually over the area. So time your transit and take off for the time when the zone is furthest South, or at least far enough South to make for an easy departure.

Be aware of a possible wind bomb just behind the corner above Colombia. Then there is another bad spot along the Mexican coast visible clearly in gib charts. But this one is not your problem if you take the longer offshore route.

Pilot charts will help you make better decisions. As will any weather router.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 13:38   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

While you may see more wind in the early spring off Columbia, it is behind you and rarely gets over 40 knots. Its more important to leave the West coast of Panama in April to avoid the early season Pacific hurricanes.

Once you get past Pta Mala, you will have very light winds until Costa Rica, whether you go out or stay near shore. Then you will have to deal with the Papagayo and Tehuantapec winds by staying very close (<1 mile) to the coast in those regions. Both of those winds fan out, so you enter them with the winds nearly on the nose and leave them on a broad reach. From Cabo to LA the toughest part of the trip can be from Mag Bay to San Quentin where you will be bashing into 25+ knots.

Are you planning this as a pedal to the metal delivery, or can you take the time to cruise a bit and enjoy some of the wonderful places along the way? If you have a bit more time, it is also possible to avoid the worst of the weather by waiting it out.

I've been down the coast route, but coming back from Panama I went via Hawaii. It is definitely an alternative, especially if you want to take a little more time. Again, there wasn't enough wind to sail until Costa Rica, but then the trades filled in and it was a great trip. It took 29 days to go the 4600 miles to Hawaii, and 16 days to go the 2200 miles home.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 09:39   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

As others have pointed out, from Baja to LA will be challenging, as you will face both wind and currents. If you love tacking and beating hour after hour, as the tide moves along south at 3 - 5 mph, go for it.

The annual Ensenada race is so easy -- a wonderful broad reach down the coast with the current moving you.... until you have to come home. Then the motors start and the real work begins.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 09:59   #9

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

In April/May of '92, following recommendations I had received, departing the canal I paralleled the equator until I could tack to hit the coast of California at the point I desired. In my case, that was San Diego. Went the entire distance with just one tack and encountered nothing serious in the way of weather. Definitely one of my better offshore experiences.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 11:02   #10

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

You don't say what time you have available. If you are retired/full time live aboard its a great, if rather expensive, trip. If you work time away could be a problem. I think you would be looking at 3-4months from picking up the boat. I would also look at a preliminary trip the do some sailing in the boat in order to learn its character and find/sort any problems. Getting repairs done on route could be a major headache and that is a long trip in an untried boat unless you are an experience delivery skipper. If you are short on time may be worth looking at shipping from Colon, will save several thousand on canal transit fees.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 15:25   #11

Boat: Albin 25

AdVICE
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 21:03   #12

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheintz View Post
As others have pointed out, from Baja to LA will be challenging, as you will face both wind and currents. If you love tacking and beating hour after hour, as the tide moves along south at 3 - 5 mph, go for it.

The annual Ensenada race is so easy -- a wonderful broad reach down the coast with the current moving you.... until you have to come home. Then the motors start and the real work begins.
Bought my boat in La Paz and did the Baja Bash last July to bring it up to L.A.
I suggest get a copy of "Baja Bash". Lots of good info on places to put in for rest or emergency repairs. Monitor weather for a few days before leaving Cabo San Lucas for a weather opening to clear Cabo Falso. We motored all the way as wind and waves were always on the nose. Thought of tacking over towards Hawaii but time was limited. Put in half way up Baja at Turtle Bay for fuel. Diesel was just under $5.00 per gal. Trucked in over 60 miles of broken road, mostly dirt from the main road. Seas were lumpy all the way and used more fuel due to counter current, head seas and wind always on the nose. Try to get north before end of July to avoid any early hurricanes.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:17   #13

Boat: Mumby 48

You don’t say when you want to do the trip.
I did it both ways, coming back in February. Leaving Panama I went out to Cocos Island (CR) which was a great little island to visit. Then I sailed up to Puerto Escondido, Oax. Mexico. It was a great sail. I stayed away from the Central American coast because of the lightning storms. I had trade wind sailing until about 50 miles from Mexico where the wind died and I motored. I motored a little and sailed some up to Cabo San Lucas. Then up to Mag Bay there was no wind. But passing Mag bay the wind got pretty strong and the waves larger. My boat doesn’t go well to windward so it was very slow. Going up the coast up till San Quintin I had to hide during the day and sail after the wind and seas diminished hoping, not always successfully, to get to the next anchorage before the winds picked up at noon. Above San Quintin the wind was much more favorable. That was 25 years ago. With weather forecasting today it would be a lot easier, if you’re prepared to wait. But the Baja coast was the rough part. I used a lot of fuel. The best time. I believe, is during the summer, just ahead of a hurricane, when you can sail up; if you have the guts

I got fuel in Cabo San Lucas, Ascuncion Bay, and Ensenada. I never pulled into port so I didn't check into Mexico.
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:10   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

keep a good weather eye pout and check weather sites frequently.
may 15-nov 30 is canae season all the way to hawaii. there willbe good sailing between storms, but....... ye gotta keep close eye on weather
if you coastal hop there are many hiding spots. you will not want anything with south facing entry
if you hawaii then back in, you only have to worry about a few canes which form along mexicoast.
have a great trip.
concur--sarana is best guide. mexico--charlies charts.
btw--there are 2 hurricane holes in mexico.. one is ixtapa, very pricey and one is isla navidad marina, barra de navidad.
some say lazaro cardenas, but is a shipping port with few yotties unless there is an approaching formation.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama