Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2020, 09:25   #1

Boat: Broadblue 385
Panama to Ft. Lauderdale

We are planning a passage between Panama North/Caribbean coast to Ft. Lauderdale in early March on 40ft sailing catamaran. We haven't done this route before. Currently considering to go directly to Cayman Islands, provision etc. From there to Isla Mujeres. Wait for a favorable wind for last leg to Ft. Lauderdale.

If you have done Panama to Ft. Lauderdale route in March, please share your experience and advise. Thanks in advance for your input!
SvFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 17:32   #2

Re: Panama to Ft. Lauderdale

I delivered a Nordhavn 57 trawler yacht to FLL. I left Dana Pt CA on Feb 25 2004 and arrived in FLL 25 days later on roughly three 7-day legs. North in the Caribbean was difficult with consistent 25-kt winds from NNE for several days that pushed me into coast at Nicaragua - the forecast wind shift never came. Given credible reports of piracy along Nicaragua these days, I would give this coast a very wide berth. If it had not been a delivery, I would hunkered down in Bocas del Toros for better weather. Given the same circumstances, I'd do some serious easting out of the Canal and try to lay a course to either Caymen or Provodencia.

Keep in mind this was a delivery of a seriously capable trawler yacht. Waiting for perfect wx wasn't really an option thus 7-daya from Canal to FLL. Those days are behind me now.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 18:11   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

March is a bit early. The trades are still honking at that time of year. Late April to early May you usually get a nice break in the trades wind strength.
We left Shelter Bay early May on a port tack. Sailed to just off the San Blas and tacked. Had a great sail all the way to Grand Cayman, with maybe 12hrs motoring on one day. Then up around west Cuba to Key West.
Old 14-02-2020, 19:07   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

I’ve done this trip once (that was enough) in December/January on a 40’ tri. We went from the canal to the San Blas, then made some easting across the gulf in a current/wind eddy that frequently forms there. Near Cartagena we flopped over and headed north for the Caymans. Had strong (20-25 knots) trades on the starboard bow but were able to lay the Caymans on one tack.

From the Caymans we waited for a bit of N in the breeze and made Jamaica. From the north shore (Port Antonio) we made our way through the Windward Passage and then spent a couple of month in the Turks and Caicos and Bahamas.

Overall the trip was quite nice, we enjoyed all our stops. The sailing was a bit rougher than typical tradewind cruising, but there was always wind so it was easy to keep the boat moving.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 19:21   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

We did this trip last year but went straight from Portobelo through the Windward Passage to Great Inagua, Bahamas, which was tough (5th worst passage in the world), then a lazy downhill sail through the Bahamas to Florida.

I prefer that unless you can’t keep the easting, in which case I agree with others to go for the Caymans then the FL Keys

Stay 100nm off the coast of Nicaragua and Honduras, go outsides the banks.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 08:39   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Been a few years but have made the trip a couple of times. Once through the Windward and once through the Yucatan. After trying both ways I prefer the Windward.

Unless the trades are really strong and more NE to NNE you should be able to hold a course from Panama to make the Windward but certainly Jamaica. The negative to the Yucatan is that it can be a hard beat from the Yucatan to FL. You will have the current with you once you get to the Straights of Florida which can get rather chopping with the E-NE trade winds against the current.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 09:49   #7

Thanks to all for sharing your experience. Pondering...
Old 15-02-2020, 13:45   #8

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Have just taken our 41' cat from roatan to Florida. Had pretty light winds for 5 days we sailed/ motor sailed the whole way. Worst weather was between key west and Cuba with NE winds, still wasn't bad. I'd stop in providencia then go with a bailout option for isla Mujeres, if the weather is good keep going. Have your zarpe for isla, you don't need one for the US.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 14:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvFree View Post
We are planning a passage between Panama North/Caribbean coast to Ft. Lauderdale in early March on 40ft sailing catamaran. We haven't done this route before. Currently considering to go directly to Cayman Islands, provision etc. From there to Isla Mujeres. Wait for a favorable wind for last leg to Ft. Lauderdale.

If you have done Panama to Ft. Lauderdale route in March, please share your experience and advise. Thanks in advance for your input!

Nasty trip

Last one was the month of March , trade wind howling in the Caribbean , northerlies in the gulf

panama to cartegna Columbia , cartegna to Jamaica , Jamaica to Puerto Rico , Puerto Rico. To Miami
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 15:35   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Nasty trip

Last one was the month of March , trade wind howling in the Caribbean , northerlies in the gulf

panama to cartegna Columbia , cartegna to Jamaica , Jamaica to Puerto Rico , Puerto Rico. To Miami
That crazy, no need to go via PR, just go through the Windward Passage!
Old 15-02-2020, 15:49   #11

The weather gods are not always on your side

On that trip it was not possible
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 16:11   #12

Boat: Sigma 41

We sailed from Colon to east of San Andres in April with reasonable easterly winds rounding west end of Cuba and getting a lift from the Gulf Stream to Key West to clear and recover after 11 days of sailing.
KBDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 06:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBDick View Post
We sailed from Colon to east of San Andres in April with reasonable easterly winds rounding west end of Cuba and getting a lift from the Gulf Stream to Key West to clear and recover after 11 days of sailing.
KBDick, this sounds like a perfect passage.
What wind direction did you have after you rounded west end of Cuba?
Old 16-02-2020, 06:46   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvFree View Post
KBDick, this sounds like a perfect passage.
What wind direction did you have after you rounded west end of Cuba?
The problem with that route is the piracy in the region. The last rally had navy protection there.

From Colon, I recommend to head straight north. If that doesn’t work with the wind, then first go East. We found our wind angle to be okay from Portbelo.
Old 16-02-2020, 07:17   #15

Thanks to all for your input, it is very interesting to see a wide range of experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
The weather gods are not always on your side
I thinks this sums it up. It seems like your experiences are ranging from nasty to nice. Perhaps the take away is that if you want a pleasant run, wait for favorable weather window. If you want to get there on some randomly determined time frame, you may be in for some rough sailing. Dah...

The Windward route appears to be more favorable than I expected, but since we can not do much better that 50deg effectively with the cat, I think this eliminates the Windward route.

So from Panama to Mujeres via Caymans is pretty much clear - trade winds are just what they are. It is also pretty clear that from Mujeres to FLL any 4-5 day E or NE'erly is pretty much a no-go. SW'erly is ideal, but may have to wait for days for it. NW'erly or SE'erly are tolerable. Does this sound about right?

Tags
Panama