Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2020, 07:26   #1

Boat: Lock Crowther 150
Oregon Inlet Bridge clearance

Hi,
Does anyone know what the vertical clearance for the new Basnight Bridge? I have seen 70’ on the internet, but Nags Head Coast Guard told me 75’.
Has the old Bonner bridge been removed?

My mast height is 72’.
mrybas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:45   #2

Re: Oregon Inlet Bridge clearance

From an internet search, [and you know that one can always trust what you read on the internet].

Design details of the Bonner Bridge
An accelerated bridge construction technique, involving the use of 65% of the offsite concrete precast, will prevent the marine environment from affecting construction. The bridge will be 2.7 miles (4.34km)-long, with a maximum span height of 350ft and a vertical clearance of 70ft.

http://https://www.roadtraffic-techn...orth-carolina/

That was its design clearance, one has to wonder if any of the piles have sunk and lowered.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:18   #3

Boat: Trlåren, Saltjö Dunväs, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
From an internet search, [and you know that one can always trust what you read on the internet].

Design details of the Bonner Bridge
An accelerated bridge construction technique, involving the use of 65% of the offsite concrete precast, will prevent the marine environment from affecting construction. The bridge will be 2.7 miles (4.34km)-long, with a maximum span height of 350ft and a vertical clearance of 70ft.

http://https://www.roadtraffic-techn...orth-carolina/

That was its design clearance, one has to wonder if any of the piles have sunk and lowered.

70 feet from what? State DOTs don't always use a datum of mean lower low water, see NGVD 29, NGVD 88.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:24   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

It's super high. My mast is 52' and I easily cleared the old bridge. Rough guestimate is the new bridge is 30' higher.
Old 10-04-2020, 17:01   #5

Shoaling slows Bonner Bridge demolition; fishing pier opening delayed until at least fall
March 10, 2020

Shoaling of the ocean bar off Oregon Inlet and around the navigation span of the remains of the Herbert C. Bonner Bridge has slowed the demolition project.

And conversion of the southern end of the six decades old span into a public fishing pier has also been delayed, and it will not be opening until this fall at the earliest.

N.C. Department of Transportation spokesperson Tim Hass said the persistent shallow water outside the inlet was at its worst between December and February.

Each section of the old bridge deck is cut in half. Then the supports are dismantled and removed from the bottom. The concrete is then loaded onto barges for transport to several existing offshore reefs for disposal.

Hass said the barges had to be rerouted up the Intracoastal Waterway, then through the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and back down the Atlantic Ocean to reach the reef locations.

“Along with the longer routes, the weather impacted when the barges could be deployed to the reef sites as well as traveling up and down the Intracoastal Waterway,” Hass said.

“The Corps of Engineers dredging in late February has improved conditions at the ocean bar such that barges can now be deployed to the reefs through the inlet,” Hass said.

Hass said back in January contractors also found underwater obstructions around the old bridge that has slowed removal of pilings.

Demolition of the high rise portion of the old bridge has been stalled by shallow water around the area of the old navigation span at the end of Bodie Island Spit.

On the north end of Pea Island, about 1,000 feet of the old bridge remains to be converted into a public walkway and fishing pier that is expected to open sometime this year.

Because that section of the old bridge is still being used as a staging area for the demolition, Hass said it can’t be opened until the tear down is complete which could be late-fall at the earliest.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:44   #6

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
Hi,
Does anyone know what the vertical clearance for the new Basnight Bridge? I have seen 70’ on the internet, but Nags Head Coast Guard told me 75’.

My mast height is 72’.

===

Consider your draft also. The waters inshore of the inlet are shallow and constantly shifting. Given the well known danger of the inlet itself, and the uncertain depths on the inside, I'd avoid it if at all possible.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:05   #7

Quote:
Hi,

My mast height is 72’.
It would be foolhardy to attempt passage where in a single wave or wake swell would cause contact.

Additionally, the shoaling and currents are extreme.

Find another route or don't even go there.

January 4, 2020

Demolition at the old bridge’s high rise is stymied by rock found around two bridge support pilings. the Oregon Inlet bar is now clogged and the barges can’t cross over to the ocean.

The demolition work has taken out 66 spans from the bridge’s north end. Some 58 more spans remain to be taken out. Before Hurricane Dorian, the crews were taking out a span per day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Old 11-04-2020, 11:14   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

It's wise to be cautious. I've used this inlet twice in my catamaran with 3' draft.

Out one in SW breeze. The turn under the old bridge is tricky in current but no that had and I did on my cat with a single outboard.

The bar can break badly at the outside of the channel. The inside of the channel by the bridge is calm unless maybe the bar was way to rough to cross.

I last can in a week after hurricane Maria and Irma's. The sportfish had only been using the inlet again for 2 days after being to rough for 3+ weeks. Just make sure the componianway hatch is closed before the bar!

There were 9' draft tugs working the bridge construction so it's pretty deep. I don't have a depth sounder. The large sportfish need almost 5' so if I see them using an inlet, I go.
Old 11-04-2020, 13:41   #9

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Does this help?!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 13:56   #10

FYI.

The OP has a Lock Crowther 150.

One doesn't heel over a catamaran.
Old 11-04-2020, 14:00   #11

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
FYI.

The OP has a Lock Crowther 150.

One doesn't heel over a catamaran.
Hmm, I suspect submerging one hull enough to heel that much might cause some water damage!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 14:24   #12

Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Hi,

My mast height is 72’.
I am much surprised at how many replies you got and not one of them answered question you asked.
Seems like everyone has an opinion, but no one has an answer.
I don’t have an answer for you either, but if I were you I would call the Coast Guard station at Oregon Inlet. If anyone knows for sure, they should.
Their telephone number is 252-441-6260.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 11-04-2020, 15:32   #13

Boat: Lock Crowther 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
I am much surprised at how many replies you got and not one of them answered question you asked.

Seems like everyone has an opinion, but no one has an answer.

I don’t have an answer for you either, but if I were you I would call the Coast Guard station at Oregon Inlet. If anyone knows for sure, they should.

Their telephone number is 252-441-6260.

Al, S/V Finlandia

I did call them. They told me 75’. But the guy sounded very uncertain.
mrybas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 15:43   #14

Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Sorry about that. I guess it is getting pretty bad when you can’t even trust a US government organization for a straight answer.
Once, about to transit out of Ponce Inlet in Florida, I called the local Coast Guard station and ask for local knowledge of the inlet. I was told that they could not give me local knowledge of the inlet even though they could look out the window to see what it looked like out there.
I guess even our government organizations are afraid of the lawyers now.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 11-04-2020, 16:23   #15

Quote:
I did call them. They told me 75’. But the guy sounded very uncertain.
There you go, the USCG is uncertain. Around 75 feet, give or take.

Tags
oregon