Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2023, 06:43   #46

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch
Re: Orca core and maps, what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Omg, now I see those wind arrows… even those point the exact opposite direction!

What is this software?
If this is directed at my screen shot, those are not wind arrows. They are there to identify which vertex I am talking about.

Ok, I see, it is not directed at my post.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 06:48   #47

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
I think those wind arrows (in the little circle next to the wind speed, right?) are pointing INTO the wind, like a Windex (or a forecast for "north" winds which blow south) not WITH the wind, like Windy would show. Wind direction conventions are not universally consistent, always makes me nervous when I read them.
That route is from Bornholm (the island in the north) to Poland, with wind from south. The wind arrows point the way the wind is blowing, as usual

Doing the same route today with winds from the west looks quite different:
bergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 07:35   #48
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

And wind speed in text, the horror!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61F3C81F-0655-4B45-BFE4-55DFA76FDEF7.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	273354   Click image for larger version

Name:	5F5461A7-C5F4-47F4-B7E1-D075413379EB.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	273355  

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 07:40   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergius View Post
That route is from Bornholm (the island in the north) to Poland, with wind from south. The wind arrows point the way the wind is blowing, as usual

No they don’t… they point into the wind, they do not point the way the wind is blowing. They should have fletches for the windspeed and many authoritative organizations, like NOAA, even omit the arrowhead completely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D278E929-CCD7-4869-A997-B964953509C6.png
Views:	30
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	273356  

Old 27-03-2023, 08:24   #50

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
No they don’t… they point into the wind, they do not point the way the wind is blowing. They should have fletches for the windspeed and many authoritative organizations, like NOAA, even omit the arrowhead completely.

he was on the boat and confirms "The wind arrows point the way the wind is blowing, as usual".
How can you state the opposite?
whats your problem with text, wind instrument provide text since the 60s...

I am more then happy with the text and wind arrows along the route, gives me what i need and no other provider offers that integrated. simple info Where is which point of sail needed and do I need prep for reefing and yes when/which area. All within one view as additional info to the track which is created by 2 clicks. Quick, fast, easy. Its not a weather map, just simple additional info along the route. If I need more detail I go to predict wind into special weather/wind data.

And windata is also avaliable as instruments with compass rose like you want to, not only text. I am sure if important to you and many others feels the same they will make it customizeable. instead to others they listen to customers...
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 09:00   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
he was on the boat and confirms "The wind arrows point the way the wind is blowing, as usual".
How can you state the opposite?
whats your problem with text, wind instrument provide text since the 60s...

I am more then happy with the text and wind arrows along the route, gives me what i need and no other provider offers that integrated. simple info Where is which point of sail needed and do I need prep for reefing and yes when/which area. All within one view as additional info to the track which is created by 2 clicks. Quick, fast, easy. Its not a weather map, just simple additional info along the route. If I need more detail I go to predict wind into special weather/wind data.

And windata is also avaliable as instruments with compass rose like you want to, not only text. I am sure if important to you and many others feels the same they will make it customizeable. instead to others they listen to customers...
The point is that sailors have been using it the way I describe and show in my attached pictures for a very long time and it has become the accepted method. I don’t believe there exists any grib file viewer that shows wind data like the landlubber wind pointers, they all use the wind arrows that point along to where the wind blows, with fletches showing the wind speed. There are many reasons for it and all are very good and relevant today, for one, they minimize clutter so you can show high resolution with more data on a chart.

Have you never used grib files?

Old 27-03-2023, 10:06   #52

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergius View Post

Ok, thanks. I had the direction of travel in the attached screenshot backwards, from south to north. I didn't realize, or really pay attention to the two arrows, which do in fact follow the common convention.
However it doesn't change the discussion about tacking angles, you still measure the change in course from one tack to the other. But my drawing should look like this. Maybe this explains some of the confusion. Click image for larger version

Name:	Cruisers%20Sailing%20Forum1854834968.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	273364
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core