Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2017, 08:17   #61

Boat: Beneteau 361
Re: Non-stop to Bahamas from Halifax, Canada - in late fall: Suicide? Advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeboat View Post
You didn't ask for it but here is a suggestion: stop complaining about how Canada has treated you. Immigration is not a right. Canada takes its share of the world's refugees but they don't take everyone. What you are asking is that Elana be given a Canadian passport so she can live, not in Canada, but somewhere else. No sane country would want someone who will not be paying taxes and will likely represent a significant liability. Note that, unlike the US where citizens are taxed on their worldwide income, Canada does not tax their citizens living and earning offshore. I suggest Elana apply for a passport in Russia and, here's a hint, don't mention any details about her partner preferences. Good luck.

Foe
Sorry but your suggestion is totally wrong. Nobody is trying to immigrate. They are legal canadian residents and taxpayers trying to obtain government services they are entitled to. As someone who has been dealing, unsuccessfully, with the cruel, insensitive and broken down bureaucratic nightmare that is canadian immigration system for the last 7 years, I can totally believe their story.

Your comment on offshore taxation is also not entirely accurate but I don't want to take this further offtopic.
skalashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 08:42   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Non-stop to Bahamas from Halifax, Canada - in late fall: Suicide? Advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalashn View Post
Sorry but your suggestion is totally wrong. Nobody is trying to immigrate. They are legal canadian residents and taxpayers trying to obtain government services they are entitled to. As someone who has been dealing, unsuccessfully, with the cruel, insensitive and broken down bureaucratic nightmare that is canadian immigration system for the last 7 years, I can totally believe their story.

Your comment on offshore taxation is also not entirely accurate but I don't want to take this further offtopic.
No sir ! You are wrong. One of them is not a Canadian citizen, not a landed immigrant, not a permanent resident. She does not even want to live in Canada, she just wants a Canadian passport of convenience. She is a Russian citizen who claims her passport was "stolen". She should apply to a Russian embassy for a new passport but for some reason declines to do so.
We owe her nothing.
Old 13-10-2017, 09:02   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
No sir ! You are wrong. One of them is not a Canadian citizen, not a landed immigrant, not a permanent resident.
According to the story, Elena is a legal permanent resident since 2011.
Old 13-10-2017, 09:30   #64

Quote:
No sir ! You are wrong. One of them is not a Canadian citizen, not a landed immigrant, not a permanent resident. She does not even want to live in Canada, she just wants a Canadian passport of convenience. She is a Russian citizen who claims her passport was "stolen". She should apply to a Russian embassy for a new passport but for some reason declines to do so.
We owe her nothing.
Her passport was "stolen" after the police helped her when she was confronted by her parents. And a colleague got it back to her, after which they spent some months learning how to sail in the Med before "fleeing" Russia, and an abusive family.

Something about this whole story doesn't quite add up.
Old 13-10-2017, 09:39   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
According to the story, Elena is a legal permanent resident since 2011.
There seem to be different versions of the story. Even if that is the true version. Permanent residents don't qualify for passports. It just does not add up.
Old 13-10-2017, 09:50   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
There seem to be different versions of the story. Even if that is the true version. Permanent residents don't qualify for passports. It just does not add up.
It seems to me as well that something in this whole story smells just a little fishy.

Could all be legit or mostly legit. However, if not, it wouldn't be the first time someone came on this forum trying to figure out how to pull something underhanded.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 09:57   #67

There is much that is fishy about this story but to the extent that dealing with different governments is part of the cruising life, and whatever the true story is, my advice stands: publicly complaining about the only Country that has given you safe harbor is churlish at best! Also, FYI, if you think an appeal to Trump for special immigration status in the US is a viable plan ... you should not leave the dock without first (1) having a complete medical/psychological work up (free in Canada under their health plan) and (2) picking up and reading a US newspaper.

Sorry for the politics!

Foe
Foeboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 10:28   #68

Quote:
In her case, she qualified for a refugee travel document, which she tried to renew. The treatment she received during this process by the canadian ministry is deplorable and all too familiar to me. As for the rest of the story, how much of that is true I don't know, but to me it seems like a series of bad decisions.
Old 13-10-2017, 12:02   #69

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
In her case, she qualified for a refugee travel document, which she tried to renew. The treatment she received during this process by the canadian ministry is deplorable and all too familiar to me. As for the rest of the story, how much of that is true I don't know, but to me it seems like a series of bad decisions.
If they don't want to spend enaugh time in Canada for her to become a citizen then tough darts.........she is a Russian citizen and it's expected she should have a Russian passport, the UN travel documents are not for general travelling they are to give you the ability to cross borders.........I don't know the Canadian citizenship issue but maybe Canadian immigration realize a Russian citizen has been tripping about on Canadian travel documents...... Which are easier to cross borders with than a Russian passport........I see this as a game they are playing and yes Canadian citizenship is a privilege NOT a right......
nwdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 12:47   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
If they don't want to spend enaugh time in Canada for her to become a citizen then tough darts.........she is a Russian citizen and it's expected she should have a Russian passport, the UN travel documents are not for general travelling they are to give you the ability to cross borders.........I don't know the Canadian citizenship issue but maybe Canadian immigration realize a Russian citizen has been tripping about on Canadian travel documents...... Which are easier to cross borders with than a Russian passport........I see this as a game they are playing and yes Canadian citizenship is a privilege NOT a right......
Exactly.
Old 13-10-2017, 13:10   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
This goes to show how many people have no idea how the system works (or, rather, how it DOESN'T work), but are quick to judge.
She is a convention refugee from Russia and must use Canadian travel document (not UN). Cannot use Russian passport.
Old 13-10-2017, 14:28   #72

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
This goes to show how many people have no idea how the system works (or, rather, how it DOESN'T work), but are quick to judge.
She is a convention refugee from Russia and must use Canadian travel document (not UN). Cannot use Russian passport.
I know exactly how it works, the travel document is at the discretion of the government, it is a previlage not a right for perment residents......they used the UN term all over so I used it, I see you think they can use the UN card and I can't .....you have a problem with the system go elsewhere........
nwdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 14:42   #73

Let me see if I have this right. Yacht owner (or partner of) gets refugee status from Canada but she doesn't want to live in Canada long enough to get citizenship because it's so cold. Instead, she wants to sail to the warm part of the world, and visit lots of different nations using refugee status travel documents issued by Canada with no clear plan or agenda that includes returning to Canada. The Canadian government balks at this? Huh. I don't know anything about it but I doubt that refugee status entitles the refugee to travel at will around the world and I'd be shocked if refugee travel documents were ever intended to be used in place of a passport for optional leisure travel.

That's it for me!
Old 13-10-2017, 15:12   #74

According to a news story I read she HAS a Russian passport. And she spent a few months in Turkey learning to sail on a visa granted to that passport while "fleeing" Russia.

Whoever said that she wants a Canadian passport just because it's easier to get into countries with one may have hit the nail on the head.

Wonder how much longer it'll be before we're all accused of being "Anti-LGBT".
Old 13-10-2017, 17:01   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Anyone interested there is a news story here.
Couple has message for Halifax Pride after 10 years on the run | The Chronicle Herald

A whole lot missing between Victoria and Halifax. Fleeing ports = owing money???
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, Canada, halifax, lease