Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 23:34   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Re: Non-firearm weapons on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If you think the so called "western" countries are rotten you are going to have a very hard time in most of the so called third world countries; east, west, north and south. You don't know what degeneration is or what uniforms do until you visit some other "supervised" countries.
Affirmative about other "supervised" and third world countries. But nonetheless a country that allows exemplary damages and judges that are allowed to fine you, say, 150.000,-- USD when you spit on the floor?

Definitively not the country I want to be in.
Old 28-02-2021, 23:39   #47

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Gun=Firearms
The discussion about being shot in the abdomen and bear spray being sufficient goes directly towards that discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Where did you see the word “firearms” in the post you quoted?
Old 01-03-2021, 01:33   #48

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Funny how these threads seem to attract the insecure and socially inept so often.
Yes Bob, Then there are also some who seem to make a practice of putting down honest, good-meaning folks while Judging Anyone who just so happens to have another way of seeing things differently from your own. On Cruisers Forums from Day One when I first joined, you have always been faithful in your Unsupported Judgements of Me, and that is probably also true for any others that just may part their hair a different way than you part yours. As for my being Insecure, you could not be more mistaken, for this undeserving sinner found Real And Everlasting SECURITY the day that I trusted in Jesus Christ as my LORD and My Savior, who gave me My Only Hope of Forgiveness Of Sin and Life Eternal through and by His Blood which He shed on Calvary for all souls who will but BELIEVE, Yes, For You also Christ Died. No, I won't fall into your unchristian way of Judging any soul, much less yours. It is however so sad that you sit in the seat which you use to suit your own unfounded judgments of others, and that is the only negative issue I find with Cruisers Forums. However, I forgive you, for it is clear to me that You Know Not What You Do. Please Note:
Luke 23:34 KJV
“Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.”
The Unworthy Servant Of Jesus Christ My Lord And Savior Chauncey M. "BUDDY" Freeman
Old 01-03-2021, 03:44   #49

Boat: O'Day 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. So when some say forearms or guns, they dont just mean that, but alao other weapons. In fact I didntveven necessarily mean for self defense, but in some cases theyre juat hobbies, like archery. If they just impounded such while in port, maybe not too bad, since youd get them back. But on seeing some of the ports and burocrats and shabby facilities, its got to be a big risk.
The problem with archery on the boat is retrieving the arrows.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:31   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. So when some say forearms or guns, they dont just mean that, but alao other weapons. In fact I didntveven necessarily mean for self defense, but in some cases theyre juat hobbies, like archery. If they just impounded such while in port, maybe not too bad, since youd get them back. But on seeing some of the ports and burocrats and shabby facilities, its got to be a big risk.
From Sweden I know that flare guns are confiscated and disposed . Locked into a sealed safe is not allowed. Hence first check in in Denmark and explain them your situation. The police might help you.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:36   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailtheWind View Post
The best single source is noonsite.com. While it does not have a single section for weapons it has a weapon section for every countries. It tends to be fairly current

Thanks , will check that one out.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:45   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Will start in 38 month and before I will check out paintball ammunition with butyric acid. Paintball guns are not classified as weapon and the main target is to keep intruders off at a distance of around 100 yards and this is possible with a paint ball toy and an ballistic trajectory.
Frozen paintballs are VERY effective
Old 01-03-2021, 05:46   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Where did you see the word “firearms” in the post you quoted?
Yup she missed a couple of words off the end of her sentence too. Should have said "on another forum".

Does the US really have 400m unregistered guns and it's illegal to insist on registration of a gun?
Old 01-03-2021, 06:03   #54

If people would go to the trouble to rig it up, I can tell you from a lifetime of law enforcement experience that the two things criminals really don't like, is light and sound, and attention being directed to what they are doing.

If a sailboat was rigged with loud air horns and/or sirens, that you could blow and extremely bright deck lighting, including bright strobes, both of which could be cut on instantly, and from a very convenient location, but hard to find to cut off, most criminals, even hard core ones, would go looking for another target.

Businesses have been using this as a deterrent for years with pretty good success.

And, it's legal everywhere. And, you can find this stuff online all day.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:06   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Yup she missed a couple of words off the end of her sentence too. Should have said "on another forum".

Does the US really have 400m unregistered guns and it's illegal to insist on registration of a gun?
For those outside the US:

From Wiki: United States of America
# of Guns: 393,347,000
# of People: 326,474,000
# of Guns per 100 people: 120.5

I offer the following in a non-partisan skew - factual as possible.

Handguns must be registered and are more tightly regulated with background checks required. Automatic weapons and some forms of armor piercing ammunition are not legal in civilian hands. The US has a very active culture of "you can have my gun when you pry my cold dead hand from it." This stems from our original constitution from the 1700's that contained an amendment allowing gun ownership. The supporting interpretation of which has been hotly debated for 50 years.

Peter
Old 01-03-2021, 06:29   #56
cruiser

Thanks so far, and it was supposed to be about NON-firearms.
We've seen that often its anything that some country could possibly consider as a 'weapon'. And it seems to often arbitary and changeable. So flare guns are considered a safety device in mant places, but not in Denmark.
So in order to be safe , I think well preclude in future trips: baseball bats.....the admiral's butcher knife........ropes that could be used as garrotes.......the heavy Sworsky crystol ashtray....pencils.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:38   #57
cruiser

Customs flunky to boater, "Any weapons on board?" "Yes sir, that rolling pin beside the fridge". "No, thats OK here, but Ill have to confiscate those knitting needles I see your admiral using. Turns out about 10 years ago a girl was walking thru the forest, a guy tried to rape her, and she poked him in the eye with a knitting needle she was carrying, and blinded him in one eye. After that ourstupid government declared knitting needles as dangerous weapons"(based on a real life story from England).
Old 01-03-2021, 08:34   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperearly View Post
Sorry Montana but your quoted figures for Austria are way wrong!!! See yourself the official statistics https://de.statista.com/statistik/da...n-oesterreich/
Figures have increased surprisingly in some areas but the impression you figures make is just not correct. Peace
In the 30+ years I have been sailing the Med and SE Asia I never saw a reason to be firearmed, just a oversize knive for the odd kokonuts was always sufficient!
Uhmm, that link is to a database behind a paywall, disinclined to pay Euro 39 to access.

A knife is a very useful tool and if need be a viable close quarters weapon.

Recalling Crocodile Dundee.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:14   #59

Background data on USA gun culture: The total percentage of gun ownership in relation to the population of a state of the USA population.

Based on surveys by Pew Research Center, the state of Montana has the highest gun ownership rate, with 66.3% of adults owning a gun. Wyoming closely follows at 66.2%, with Alaska in third at 64.5%.

On the other side of the scale, we have the states with the lowest percentage of gun owners. Massachusetts and New Jersey have the lowest gun ownership rate of 14.7%, followed by Rhode Island, with 14.8%, and Hawaii, with 14.9%. New York is the only other state with gun ownership less than 20% at 19.9%. Both Massachusetts and New Jersey have some of the strictest gun ownership laws in the United States. Obtaining a permit or license required to even purchase a gun in these states can take weeks and is relatively rigorous.

Montana has some of the most permissive gun laws in the United States. It is a "shall issue" state for concealed carry. The county sheriff shall issue a concealed weapons permit to a qualified applicant within 60 days. Concealed carry is allowed in state and local government buildings with a permit. Carrying a concealed weapon while intoxicated is prohibited. No weapons, concealed or otherwise, are allowed in school buildings, albeit our elustorous State Legislature just passed a bill allowing carrying guns on public university and college campuses, but not yet to kindergarten classes or preschool. Montana recognizes concealed carry permits issued by most but not all other states. Concealed carry without a permit is allowed throughout the state.
Open carry is always allowed without a permit.

But then Montana also remains one of three states that are open range states, where one puts up a fence to keep cattle out of your property;

home where the buffalo roam
Where the deer and the antelope play . . .

As to carrying guns, open or concealed in the general public, IMNSHO: This is permitted so that one can readily identify those persons that are paranoid and insecure of their well being, lacking in self-confidence, but yet who are supposedly and dubiously part of the "well-regulated militia". Their "wellness" and the lackness of regulation being debatable topics. Oh, that brings to mind the lyrics of the song What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield. With Emphasis Added.

There's something happening here
But what it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware

I think it's time we stop
Children, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind
. . .

It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid

Step out of line, the men come and take you away

Okay, now returning back to the original topic of this thread: Non-Firearm weapons on board.

Perhaps having one of Monty Python's killer rabbits on board.

Quoting Tim: "Well, that's no ordinary rabbit. That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on."

Safe travels. All the best.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:18   #60

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
400M? Quite likely. Perhaps more. There is a Federal law prohibiting firearms registration (the reason is that a registration is a first step to confiscation). This law, however, is violated in New York, naturally.
Closed Thread