Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2017, 05:49   #1

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
New York to Cape may passage

I've searched the forums for threads on the passage from NY to Cape may (to round the corner up the delaware bay) and honestly the search feature on CF is useless. it keeps returning threads that have nothing in common with the search terms. Like when I search for "New Jersey" I get results that include a thread on a new kiwi prop for sale in NZ... not at all related to the search terms!

anyway I rant.

This fall we're starting our trek to the Bahamas leaving from Lake Ontario. I have no issues with Lake Ontario, the Oswego/Erie canal, the Hudson seems pretty easy too. But I'm having a hard time finding any good information on the stretch between NYC and cape may. We've got Morgan OI 41 (ketch) so I'm pretty sure we can duck in to just about anywhere. We want to break the stretch up into small hops as we have 2 kids with us and don't want to make it an "ordeal" we want to be able to pick windows and make hops even if its just 20 miles in a day. Any suggestions?
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 06:37   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: New York to Cape may passage

Atlantic City and Barnegat Bay. I have never stopped at these spots, usually doing this stretch from Upper Nyack to Cape May in one hop. I do not know of any anchorages in these two places. When going south from Toronto I used to wait for weather in Upper Nyack and head right to Cape May. Heading south it's a good idea to at least get to the Chesapeake as quickly as possible.
Old 14-06-2017, 13:26   #3

I'm researching the exact same trip for a late
July departure. We will be departing from
Port Washington on Long Island Sound
Will share my research when done.
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 13:35   #4

Boat: Back Cove 33

Hi
The trip down the Jersey coast between Sandy Hook and Cape May is roughly 90 miles so not too long. We have done this trip many times and the only inlet I would use for our boat and without local knowledge is Atlantic City. The other inlets can be shallow with shifting bars. It might be possible to use Manasquan (SP) but I'll let someone more familiar with that particular inlet comment on it's usefulness.
Have a good trip
rickpalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 13:01   #5

I was towed in to Manesquan with fuel problems in 2010 on my way to the Bahamas. And departed few days later with problem solved.

There was no issue with depth (I draw 5'), but the current is very strong throughout the inlet and it can get pretty rolly at the mouth (stone jettys either side) if it's opposing the current.

Getting in and out in favorable weather should be no problem.
Old 01-08-2017, 13:50   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy!

About 2 months ago I asked about a similar route (just south of NYC as a starting point) in a thread I started. I was curious about local knowledge for the C&D and bridges and inlets along the Jersey Shore.

Several nice CF members answered with good tips and suggestions.

I encourage you to take a look at the following thread's comments.

Time from Sandy Hook NJ to Baltimore by Sailboat
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-185931.html

Bon Voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 14:11   #7

I have done this trip both ways a few times. Atlantic Highlands is a great anchorage with a launch service and some nice restaurants, but I don't usually stop there because I want to get further South before stopping.

I have stayed in Manasquan Inlet (Beware and check the tidal currents inside on the Manasquan river - they run fast and there are draw bridges just inside that you must contend with). I usually stop at Hoffman's marina - they are nice and full service although very fishing/power boat oriented). You will likely be the only stick in the house.

You can also go in at Barnegat... but I have not tried to go through Barnegat inlet yet in a sailboat - just too many bad stories growing up around there.

If you want to break up the trip further you could also stop in Atlantic City which I have heard is a great stop by boat.

The South Jersey Marina in Cape May across from the Lobster House was a my stop on my last trip. Nice folks and good food at the Lobster House.
Old 02-08-2017, 14:39   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

I just stayed in Longport, NJ. Very nice marina just South of Atlantic City. $3 per foot, if I recall correctly.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 14:53   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

The anchorage at the South end of the passage, Cape Henlopen, is a good one that can be entered at night as it is well lit and is considered a Harbor of Refuge.
Old 02-08-2017, 14:55   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

Have you considered buying a cruising guide? It will tell you all about the trip, the anchorages, the marinas, highlights of towns you might stop in, etc.

https://www.waterwayguide.com/guide/northern
Old 02-08-2017, 17:54   #11

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Anyone stopped at Barnegat Inlet recently. I hear they did a lot of work on the entrance years ago and that it's relatively easy to get into now AND there's room to anchor. It's also 1/2 the way from Sandy Hook to Cape May.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, passage