Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2021, 10:15   #1

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38 MK I
New Orleans to Port Aransas, Tx routing options

HI All,

I might purchase a boat in New Orleans and, If I do, need to move it to Port Aransas (actually Aransas Pass). Significant boat details:
LOA: 44'
Draft: 6'
Beam: 11.5'
Displacement: 27000 lbs
Air Draft: 58' (might be closer to 56' but I want give myself some small margin of error)
Engine: Yanmar 4JH2E (51hp)
Fuel: 65gal

Based on some very preliminary chart work and research, it seems to me I have 4 basic options:
1) take ICW the whole way
2) take ICW west to some point like say Morgan City then head outside to Port Aransas
3) head out the Gulf immediately make a rhumb line passage to Port Aransas
4) instead of going to directly to Port Aransas head SE then SW to avoid the heavy concentration oil rigs and commercial traffic NW Gulf between NOLA and Houston

Also, I have ordered but it hasn't arrived yet a copy of the Waterway ICW Guide to the Western Gulf.

I will very much appreciate all input and ideas.
gallatin1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 10:38   #2

Boat: Whitby 42
Re: New Orleans to Port Aransas, Tx routing options

ICW all the way would be the safest but slowest and requires doing the two locks into and out of the Mississippi. For the locks you will need at least one crew. Anything in the Gulf, I would recommend staying in the Fairways. No place to stop, so again, you will need crew. Also may get to be a problem with fuel capacity.
I know some people recommend doing a rhumb line across the Gulf and relying on charts and radar. Not my cup of tea.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new orleans