Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 12:57   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: YORKTOWN 33'
Need Advice:New Orleans to Gulfport

Lost Cajun here. New to sailing in this area. We have 5'6" draft and was looking at charts and lots of shallow areas. Could someone either give me waypoints of would be available for day sail. Boat done and splashing in the water tomorrow (wed.) thanks duane
dandkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 18:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Need Advice:New Orleans to Gulfport

Can anyone help?
Old 09-12-2014, 18:56   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Are you trying to get from New Orleans to Gulfport? The only places you really have to watch are the channel along the north shore between the I-10 bridge and the Rigolets (stay about 50 yards north of the green markers) and the channel west and north of Cat Island (follow the markers). If you're just looking for sailing areas around New Orleans, 5-1/2 foot draft shouldn't be a problem unless you get too close to shore.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 19:01   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

There are shallow areas, but you can easily transit the area w your draft. My suggestion is review the charts and do your own Nav. That will give you an opportunity to get more familiar with the area on paper first.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 19:02   #5

Boat: ketch, 51'

Greetings lost cajun,
Best advice I can give you is to stay on ICW to Gulfport if you are not comfortable with depth.
We have 5 foot draft and journey the sound on regular basis with no problems, just keep eye on chart depths. Worst part would be around PassMarriane, then again as I said the ICW will take you to Gulfport without problems.
There is plenty of water between N.O and Gulfport.
What area is it that worries you with depths?
Let me know if we can be of further assistance...

Regards, Mario
Old 09-12-2014, 19:02   #6
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Hey Duane,

We've done the ICW, but not offshore around New Orleans. No problem in the ditch with our 5' draft. You are heading to Gulfport (Mississippi or Florida)?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 19:10   #7
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the advice when looking at charts i was planning to stay in channel but the areas of concern is coming into marinas in area charts show lots of shools 3-4 feet. They are going to splash me in the water @7-8 am and with winter daylight hours going to be getting close to dark getting there and don't feel spending night on sandbar thrilling...lol
Old 09-12-2014, 19:21   #8

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Duane, I think it's not entirely clear what you are asking.

Good places to day sail?

Good places to anchor after a day of sailing on the way to Gulfport?

Check out the Active Captain website if you haven't. Good way to look for anchor spots a d marinas in a new area.

Been through there a couple of times this year and was a good time. Not to hard to plan or navigate either.
Old 09-12-2014, 19:25   #9

You can get into the new Bay St. Louis marina pretty easily, you just have to transit the RR bridge and stay away from the shoals on the east side of the entrance to the bay. Once through the bridge, there is plenty of water on the direct route from the bridge to the marina.
I personally don't care for the Pass Christian marina, so I haven't been there since before Katrina. Can't help you there.
Friends have recommended Long Beach marina, but I haven't been there, either.
Gulfport marina is a long stretch from New Orleans, especially at this time of year. It's top notch once you get there, but the entrance can be tricky in the dark. Water depth not a concern as long as you stay in the entrance channel.
If leaving from New Orleans, you might consider staging at Oak Harbor marina in Slidell. An easy day trip, easy to get into, again, as long as you stay in the channel.
Old 09-12-2014, 19:27   #10
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

We anchor at Rabbit Island the first day out of N.O., then on to Gulfport the second day. No problems getting into the Gulfport small craft harbor. If you do stay there, go to Big Mike's Speakeasy for dinner (one block away). Great food there.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 19:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandkg View Post
Thanks for the advice when looking at charts i was planning to stay in channel but the areas of concern is coming into marinas in area charts show lots of shools 3-4 feet. They are going to splash me in the water @7-8 am and with winter daylight hours going to be getting close to dark getting there and don't feel spending night on sandbar thrilling...lol
Don't rush. Make two easy days out of the trip. Pick a spot a little over half way and be at anchor well before dark. Enjoy the sunset and a night at anchor.
Old 09-12-2014, 19:29   #12
Marine Service Provider

we just moved here from sailing 8 years in the pacific and not familier with area moving boat to mississippi for next few months and will sail area for awhile then head east then off to carrb. had work done in boatyard in new orleans and will be moving boat from New Orleans to mississippi coast have checked out several marinas and will be putting boat anywhere from bay st louis to ocean springs i just need to get there from here and then get to reno,nv my father in law just passed away yesterday do you know of safe place for that thanks
Old 09-12-2014, 19:59   #13

Sorry to hear that bad news. Understand the urgency to get there though.

I'll second the Gulfport small craft harbor marina. Nice place. But I haven't entered after dark there. It's east of the main shipping channel with large spoil areas on each side. I don't sail through spoil areas in new to me waters. So others can offer better advice.
Old 09-12-2014, 20:40   #14

Sorry about your father-in-law. If you want to go off and leave the boat, Gulfport is the place. You really shouldn't try to make it in one day, though. As far as the spoil bank coming in, there's a gap that's marked on the chart near the harbor entrance. No problem.
If you've never been through the Rigolets before, be careful of the current near the RR bridge.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:20   #15

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
We anchor at Rabbit Island the first day out of N.O., then on to Gulfport the second day. No problems getting into the Gulfport small craft harbor. If you do stay there, go to Big Mike's Speakeasy for dinner (one block away). Great food there.

Ralph
Hey, friends in fact our family own that Island! Cool, where did you anchor by the burnt down oil platform?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandkg View Post
we just moved here from sailing 8 years in the pacific and not familier with area moving boat to mississippi for next few months and will sail area for awhile then head east then off to carrb. had work done in boatyard in new orleans and will be moving boat from New Orleans to mississippi coast have checked out several marinas and will be putting boat anywhere from bay st louis to ocean springs i just need to get there from here and then get to reno,nv my father in law just passed away yesterday do you know of safe place for that thanks
Where are you stay? My boat is staying at Lake Catherine Island Marina (formally my family's Lake Catherine Marina, retired and sold off). It's right after the rigolets bridge, give them a call may be able to hold it there for a few weeks..

- Ronnie...on the geaux
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new orleans