Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2020, 09:22   #16

Re: Navionics: which ipad will work ???

[QUOTE=mikedefieslife;3242010]Is this to be on a cruising boat? most have more than minimum in terms of electronics. If it's just general sailing then you probably have the wrong forums.

Yes my friend, cruising boat, life time cruising... I remember the days there was NO electronics onboard... we had a good sextant and a watch
brunocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 09:30   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41

[QUOTE=Paul Kelly;3242001]I had an iPad 3 which I used with iSailor - much better charts than Navionics in my view and cheaper too. QUOTE]

Hmm... the iSailor charts are pricey compared to Navionics (not that I like Navionics) and oeSENC (O Charts).

NOAA charts free on OpenCPN but quite pricey (multiple areas add up) on iSailor. Here in BC, iSailor charts cost ~C$105 for the whole coast whereas oeSENC is ~C$35 (Navionics is about the same, but for all of Canada).
sv_pelagia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 09:46   #18

+1 on the fact that the Mini is the way to go.
It is the right size and there are a bunch of mounts for it available that work really well. We actually use three mounts, one per side and one above the companionway and move the iPad on the mount that is best at any given time.

The larger iPads are too large in my opinion; if you put them on a mount you'll end up knocking them off (plus, there are mounts for the mini that are not available for the larger ones), and if you hold them on your lap, they are heavy and awkward.

The mini is just the perfect size and weight. BTW, it works well with an external GPS too. We connect it via WiFi, because our boat GPS has wifi already, but bluetooth works too. The boat GPS is generally more accurate than the internal iPad GPS, unless you turn cellular on as well for assisted GPS.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 09:53   #19

Boat: Watkins 29

My samsung Galaxy tab works great and costs about 1/3 the price of dn iPad!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 10:29   #20

Boat: Chrysler 22

Agree with Whosails. My cellular is not ON. But GPS is critical in iPads.
chasmains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 12:20   #21

I agree. The Sansumg tab a (2019) works well with the built in GPS... No data will be used,. my 10 inch tab a was 1/3 the price of the apple.
sailinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 12:25   #22

Apple could pinch a penny into a diamond

They onto include the GPS chip in the cell models, and no, you don’t even need to have a SIM card in to get a good GPS signals, they even use more than just the US constellation, mini is about the perfect size for a working iPad, just get a good case for it.

Glance in the cockpit of the next airliner you step on, you’ll probably see two iPad minis
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 13:01   #23

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Just to be clear, I have an iPad Air that has no SIM card slot. It also does not have on board GPS so while Navionics is loaded and usable for planning, it will not navigate.

My wife has an iPad Air that does have a SIM card slot, it has Navionics loaded and is fully functional as a chart plotter.

Both these devices are about three years old, I don’t know if later models are different but I don’t think they are. Be sure to check before you buy.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 13:10   #24

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunocean View Post
GPS data from wifi... no thank you!
No wifi onboard, only the strict minimum in terms of electronics

Short story: years ago i found myself in the middle of the caribbean waters on a delivery boat with flat batteries, no engine, sails almost destroyed, a giant storm and my ipad. That sweet device show me the way home during 4 days with its own battery (turning the ipad on and off)
After this experience i had a very special affection for my old ipad
+1

iPad with internal GPS and Navionics installed has been a lifesaver more than once. First time, the Furuno chartplotter inexplicably failed approaching Fort Pierce, and I lost power another time (I was on my way to get my house bank replaced with AGM bats), but the iPad still worked. And just to be safe, I carry a large Anker external bat to charge the iPad. Redundancy is a good thing when it comes to nav tools.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 13:20   #25

Boat: CAL-2 30'

I just renewed my Navionics annual subscription for $15. It works great on my 5th and 6th generation WIFI only iPads. I bluetooth to my InReach or Bad Elf GPS which are way more accurate than the ipad gps chips. I have waterproof cases on both and a mount in the cockpit.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 13:21   #26

I just bought new iPad. Version 13.7 . It must have a cellular capable sim slot. You do not need cellular data. But it must have this ability to get internal GPS for Navionics.
Works perfect. No data , no wifi, still works.
Ps it took me a while to figure this out. I don’t think Navionics or Apple want you to know this.
Cheers
Chawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 13:42   #27

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Neither of our navigation iPads have built in gps, I simply connect to the Vesper AIS WiFi for gps input, I also have a Bluetooth gps puck with built in battery for backup. We have an Anker charging block at both helms with 6 or 10 foot cords so they are always at 100% charge.

I mount them on a “point of sale” iPad stand: AboveTEK Retail Kiosk iPad Stand,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XB7KWGV...p_mob_ap_share

I also use a sunshade designed for drone pilots up on the fly bridge in bright sun: PGYTECH 12.9inch FPV Tablets... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCK7BZP...p_mob_ap_share

Having two pads let’s me run Navionics and AquaMaps at the same time with my Furuno as a reference to them both.

Both 12.9” pads were bought on Amazon and are 2nd generation models running 13.xx OS. Buying a unit that is not the latest and greatest without cellular capability lowers the price significantly from that at the Apple Store. You also do not need any more memory than the lowest level offered if you use them as pure navigation devices, this also saves a bit more.

I’ve been using this system for over 18 months of continuous cruising from the Exumas to Block Island and am very happy with the results, but, as always YMMV.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 13:46   #28

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
Apple could pinch a penny into a diamond

They onto include the GPS chip in the cell models, and no, you don’t even need to have a SIM card in to get a good GPS signals, they even use more than just the US constellation, mini is about the perfect size for a working iPad, just get a good case for it.

Glance in the cockpit of the next airliner you step on, you’ll probably see two iPad minis

We were using Air2s (5th gen) when I retired 4 years ago. I believe they are using 10" Pros now.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 19:43   #29

Wasn't so happy w/ iPad Pros for nav work - they're beautiful but burn through battery too fast. The current 10" iPad running SEAiq (or SEAiq USA if only in US waters) would be my go - I'm getting older and the mini screen is getting small. I use data over WiFi when available (like from a B&G Zeus or Vulcan) but for people with existing systems that's a long-term retrofit/upgrade/budgeting project. I prefer using (free) NOAA raster charts directly in SEAiq and not relying on a C-MAP or Navionics subscription.

Using the iPad (or iPhone) built-in GPS is a great fallback when local data/electronics aren't available. Have had to do that a few times.
fogmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 23:15   #30

We use a three year old 12.9 inch iPad Pro with 256GB - an expensive outlay but worth it for the huge memory. As owners in a charter fleet, we like to sail numerous bases as we build up a collection of Navionics charts ahead of our planned cast off in November 2024. So far we have downloaded SE Asia, Indian Ocean and Med... will be heading to Pacific and Caribbean when Covid-19 travel restrictions allow. The large format screen is ideal for aging eyes and, placed within a waterproof, hard knocks case, the iPad goes everywhere on the boat. We like the versatility of being able to get on a variety of yachts, potentially with different charts/plotters, and always have our familiar iPad with Navionics ready to go. Enables us to do passage planning etc before we arrive too, and we have a growing collection of photos loaded directly onto the charts so we have a visual record of those anchorages etc we may wish to revisit one day during the circumnavigation to come. Huge memory allows multiple downloads, including books, movies and magazines to keep the crew happy. As @fogmachine says, battery gets chewed up faster on the Pro than the standard iPad but it still lasts 6-8 hours on ours and there are plenty of charging points depending on where it is, including at the helm station whilst on passage. Screen handles sun really well so no issues seeing the information, even with polarized lenses. I won’t go to sea without it... we use the yachts charts and other backups on paper and iPhone too, but find we use the iPad/Navionics pretty much all the time.
AthenaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, navionics, work