Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2020, 00:01   #1

Boat: Island Packet 40
Navionics V Cmap, East Coast of Australia

Hi,

I recently installed a second MFD at the helm and am considering an upgrade to the electronics charts in the second unit.

I am using Navionics Australia and New Zealand in the original MFD and found it to be pretty good (I have learned to stay on the dashed purple line in shallow water because whoever put it on their has a much better eye for shallow water than I do)

I am considering whether or not to put Cmap All of Australia in the second MFD and particularly whether or not it will give me greater detail or more accurate depths than the Navionics.

I tend to poke up creeks and rivers wander about near shore during my coastal cruising.

Any advice from folks familiar with these charting systems would be greatly appreciated..
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 01:56   #2

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Navionics V Cmap, East Coast of Australia

Following,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 03:13   #3

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

My Navionics had some problems. From memory, the entrances to Round Head Creek at 1770, Pancake Creek and Lady Musgrave Island are totally wrong, you would end up ashore if you followed the channels! Also many reefs near Townsville had totally incorrect depths (mostly deeper than what Navionics stated).
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 03:37   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
My Navionics had some problems. From memory, the entrances to Round Head Creek at 1770, Pancake Creek and Lady Musgrave Island are totally wrong, you would end up ashore if you followed the channels! Also many reefs near Townsville had totally incorrect depths (mostly deeper than what Navionics stated).

I'm a little confused. Were you using CMap that gave you deeper depths than Navionics?
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 03:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
My experience with Navionics is similar. Fortunately so far the error has been deeper water than charted but it does tend to impact on ones confidence in the product. I have not yet had any problems with position.

Had a look at some UTube presentations and the C-Map 4D stuff looks pretty interesting. I'll probably go that way for the diversity of sources aspect.
Old 21-02-2020, 03:59   #6

Boat: Lightwave 45

I use opencpn running the oesnc(?) purchased charts as my primary nav chart. It works very well. However, I *think* the origins of the data are "shipping" oriented, so while the details are just about always very correct, some of the in-close to reefs details etc is a little too broad-brush. I have resorted to Navionics on phone/tablet to get more refined depth contours, and better indication of bommies etc. In shallow waters (eg Narrows) the purple line is usually a good indicator of best route, but as indicated, doesn't match reality at Round Head or Lady Musgrave.
Navionics usually has better/more correct updates of channel markers than opencpn/oesnc
Tim
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 09:41   #7

Boat: Prout

I used Navionics from Coffs Harbour to Sydney for 6 months, at times with poor weather, but found it spot on.
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 13:20   #8

Boat: Farrier 43x

I believe they both use the same base maps. Both are really accurate in shipping areas but can’t be entirely relied on in lesser travelled areas. 1770 is a good example. The sand bank has totally changed and navionics is no longer accurate.
The good news is that users can post edits (such as 1770) and entry markers are there to be followed. Also it’s good to be sure you zoom right in when unsure to bring up more detail.
Have fun
Tumblewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 17:10   #9

Boat: Adams 42

Hi.
I use I sailor on a tablet and a smart phone, and open cpn with C map on a laptop.
The I sailor charts are extensive more up to date and not costly. They are updatable under the initial purchase plan. I sailor takes time to respond on a slower machine.
I sailor beat the pants off Navionics when I compared them some years ago. May have changed since.
UPS, redundancy, alternatives are important factors.
Cheers.
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 21:16   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 40

We have both Navionics and CMap (Jepperson). Have used them for years. We prefer Navionics. As to accuracy- we have never had an issue. But we always keep our heads out of the cockpit and keep a good lookout, plus watch the depth sounder like a hawk. My personal view is that all charts are just rough guides when navigating near land. And bars etc change. Eg Wide Bay Bar where one should never cross without talking to the local Marine Rescue people and get their mud map and waypoints.
John Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 21:36   #11

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

The problems I related about Navionics relate not to depth, but actual channels. For example, the real channel at 1770 and Pancake Creek went through the headland on the chart. At Lady Musgrave, if you followed the chartplotter, you would have hit one side of the channel. At Townsville, depths on the reefs was nothing like reality. Some were much shallower and others much, much deeper, meaning where I thought I could anchor it was way too deep.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 01:13   #12

Thanks a lot for the replies folks.

I have noticed the depth anomalies quiet often whilst following the purple dashed line ascending and descending both the Mary and Fitzroy rivers in Queensland and wondered why they did not adjust the charts accordingly. I assumed that they are using non updated official data for the mapping and are getting the track data from more up to date but unofficial sources from downloaded real track data. I have learned from experience in both rivers to trust the purple dashed track line far more than the hydrographic data.

1770 has been shoaling up for years. I used to anchor in the deep channel along the beach near the entrance because it shortens the long leg from Pancake Creek to Burnett Heads by about 12 nm. After having a couple of very bad experiences fleeing there in the middle of the night when the wind went to the north and picked up I gave it up. Pity it's so shoal and constricted as it's quiet a pretty place and well worth a stay for a few days.
Old 02-10-2020, 19:42   #13

Hi guys,
Anyoneout there know how to get the GPS indicator on the Cmap chart on my laptop, It appears on my spart laptop but for some reason it will not appear, is the a box to tickplease ???
Regards Locko
brian laughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 20:37   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

CMAP chart or C-MAP app?

What operating system is on the laptop?
What GPS do you have connected to the laptop?
What charting application are you using on the laptop?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, east coast, navionics