Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2022, 10:05   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Navionics shows depth but AIS data not working, Yacht devices WIFI-NMEA and matsutec

HI all
I have Navionics running on an IPAD 12.9. Pro 2020 with Yacht Devices NMEA-to-Wifi dongle and a Matsutec AIS 205 (send&receive).
I get the depth data from the NMEA displayed in Navionics on the Ipad but AIS data doesn't work.
If I use the instrument display in an app and Yacht device ethernet all the data from NMEA shows up.
The Matsutec is an 0183NMEA device and I also have the raymarine adapter from seatalk 1 to NG installed.

the raymarine MFD e7 needs that and shows all data correctly incl. the AIS, so it must be on the network.

how can I get the AIS in Navionics to work?
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2022, 16:20   #2

Re: Navionics shows depth but AIS data not working, Yacht devices WIFI-NMEA and matsu

112 views and nobody has an idea…
Help would be appreciated.
Old 24-09-2022, 17:45   #3

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Navionics shows depth but AIS data not working, Yacht devices WIFI-NMEA and matsu

I did nothing special for Navionics on Android with the YDWG. Are you connecting to a TCP or UDP server on the gateway? I think UDP is preferred but it shouldn't matter.

In Navionics there is a screen (sorry I don't remember where) where it will tell you if AIS is connected and working, vs depth and speed being connected and working. Is it showing that AIS is disconnected while depth and speed work?

One very annoying thing with AIS on Navionics is that the AIS icons only appear when you are zoomed in. If the ships aren't near you and you zoom out for an overview, they all disappear. If you don't know where to zoom into, It can look like there is nothing there. It actually makes the AIS feature on Navionics dangerous IMHO.
Old 24-09-2022, 20:04   #4

Boat: Southerly 480

Which Yacht devices wifi gateway are you using: YDWG-02 or YDWN-02?

Presuming it's the YDWG-02, you might want to check if the seatalk1 to SeatalkNG converter supports AIS PGN's.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2022, 20:49   #5

Boat: 40ft Catamaran

random guess but nmea 0183 is probably going direct to the raymarine. you need to set the raymarine to repeat/retransmit the ais data on the nmea 2000 bus.
zurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2022, 22:36   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurk View Post
random guess but nmea 0183 is probably going direct to the raymarine. you need to set the raymarine to repeat/retransmit the ais data on the nmea 2000 bus.

No the OP converts it to Seatalkng ie nmea2000 and his mfd is showing it.

How does the navionics app expect the AIS data to be presented can it handle the PGN directly or does it need it presented in nmea0183 format
Old 24-09-2022, 22:44   #7
Nearly an old salt

Navionics shows depth but AIS data not working, Yacht devices WIFI-NMEA and matsutec

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
Which Yacht devices wifi gateway are you using: YDWG-02 or YDWN-02?

Presuming it's the YDWG-02, you might want to check if the seatalk1 to SeatalkNG converter supports AIS PGN's.

He’s not using a Seatalk1 converter for it I hope as Seatalk is not compatible with nmea0183 devices.

Here’s a piece from the manual of the YDWG

With the factory settings, Gateway has the 1st server enabled and pre-configured use TCP port 1456 and the NMEA 0183 data protocol. To connect your application to the Gateway with factory settings:
• connect your laptop or mobile device to YDWG network;
• set the IP address 192.168.4.1 in the application settings;
• specify the TCP protocol and port 1456 in the application settings.
To use the gateway with a Navionics Boating App, no settings are required in the app, but some changes are required in the Gateway configuration:
• configure one of the Gateway servers to use UDP port 2000 and NMEA 0183 data protocol;
• connect your smartphone or tablet to the Gateway’s Wi-Fi network.
Some versions of Nobeltec MaxSea and TimeZero ignore sentences with «--» talker ID (used by default in previous firmware versions) and you need to change it to something else, for example, to «YD» (see X.2).
The settings on the «NMEA Settings» page are designed to control an autopilot by NMEA 0183 protocol and tune NMEA 0183 output settings, see chapter X. for details.”
Old 24-09-2022, 22:57   #8

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
No the OP converts it to Seatalkng ie nmea2000 and his mfd is showing it.

How does the navionics app expect the AIS data to be presented can it handle the PGN directly or does it need it presented in nmea0183 format
Navionics expects NMEA0183. The YDWG does that conversion without any configuration necessary. I have a YDWG and it is plug-in-play with Navionics and AIS. No configuration on the YD side is needed at all. And if he is getting depth, then that connection is working.

I would be interested in more detail of exactly how his NMEA/STNG network is connected/wired. My guess is that the AIS data isn't getting to the YDWG. The YDWG has some data collection modes and some software for looking at the NMEA2000 raw data, but that might be beyond the OPs ability.
Old 25-09-2022, 03:00   #9
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
HI all
I have Navionics running on an IPAD 12.9. Pro 2020 with Yacht Devices NMEA-to-Wifi dongle and a Matsutec AIS 205 (send&receive).
I get the depth data from the NMEA displayed in Navionics on the Ipad but AIS data doesn't work.
If I use the instrument display in an app and Yacht device ethernet all the data from NMEA shows up.
The Matsutec is an 0183NMEA device and I also have the raymarine adapter from seatalk 1 to NG installed.

the raymarine MFD e7 needs that and shows all data correctly incl. the AIS, so it must be on the network.

how can I get the AIS in Navionics to work?

How are you doing the AIS nmea conversion , if this is being done by the e7 ray units will NOT rebroadcast the AIS data onto NMEA2000

You need to do the conversion to nmea 2000 in a dedicated converter product eg a YachtDevices YDNG-03 R

Usually it’s a bad idea to conversion in the MFDs
Old 15-09-2023, 17:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
How are you doing the AIS nmea conversion , if this is being done by the e7 ray units will NOT rebroadcast the AIS data onto NMEA2000

You need to do the conversion to nmea 2000 in a dedicated converter product eg a YachtDevices YDNG-03 R

Usually it’s a bad idea to conversion in the MFDs
Thanks. I think thats the issue that the Matsutec as only NMEA0183 device is directly connected to the e7 as it has an NMEA0183. Didn't follow the cables till now but thats the only possibility it can be connected.
So the e7 is not rebroadcasting it while the marketing stuff telling its data bridging 0183 to n2k, so it only does that internally...that sucks because i wanna add an axiom 7+ and an orca core and this has only has n2K.

My setup is:
All sensors and ap S2G with St6001 and linear drive are seatalk1 with st60 instruments, this gets converted by the ray 2258 seatalk 1 to NG converters, one at the nav-station in the salon (just found that hidden, for what no idea) and one at the helm. The one at the helm has seatalk NG bus with 1 cable to e7 MFD and 2 drop cables to n2k => 1 for orca core with GPS/heading/compass, 1 for YDWG2n to broadcast N2k wifi. This will be upgraded to 1 drop cable ng for the e7 routed to navstation (as e7 moves from helm to navstation) and one NG to N2K and then N2k network where an axiom 7+ (new at the helm with new Quantum2 doppler radar), the orca core, YDWG2N, nmea 2k to Victron cerbo GX and then AIS will be connected.

Means AIS have 2 options
1) i connect matsutec via an actisense or other NMEA 0183 to n2k bridge to the n2k network, costs 200Euro
2) i get an AIs just receiving additional from the navionics wifi list that does 0183 and 2k and connect to n2K. Which one would you recommend, as cheap as possible as only receive?
i keep then matsutec for transmitting and connected to the e7 via NMEA0183 like now.
Tending to option 2) as i can install it at the helm directly to N2K and spare a lot cabling and no routing to navstation. Matsutec is at navstation so good to route ahort cable to e7, so e7 gets 2xAIS.
Old 16-09-2023, 05:53   #11

Unless new versions of Raymarine's Lighthouse software have changed, a quick perusal of both the Raymarine E Series Installation and Operator manuals indicate that the MFD does not convert AIS data between NMEA 183 and NMEA 2000.

Refer to attached Raymarine Lighthouse version 19 Operator Manual (Document number 81360-5), page 414.

Therefore you ned to find some other way of connecting your Matsutec AIS NMEA 183 output to the NMEA 2000 network.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ray-ais.pdf (194.0 KB, 13 views)
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2023, 06:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
Unless new versions of Raymarine's Lighthouse software have changed, a quick perusal of both the Raymarine E Series Installation and Operator manuals indicate that the MFD does not convert AIS data between NMEA 183 and NMEA 2000.

Refer to attached Raymarine Lighthouse version 19 Operator Manual (Document number 81360-5), page 414.

Therefore you ned to find some other way of connecting your Matsutec AIS NMEA 183 output to the NMEA 2000 network.
Thank you, it sucks. Means i need A yacht devices or the quark elect NMEA to 2000 converter, another 200Euro into the open barrel hole called boat...
Old 16-09-2023, 08:03   #13

Quote:
Thank you, it sucks
FFS.
We're privileged to be able to enjoy our lifestyle. Think of the poor souls elsewhere to whom "boat bucks" would be akin to winning the lottery.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2023, 09:44   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
FFS.
We're privileged to be able to enjoy our lifestyle. Think of the poor souls elsewhere to whom "boat bucks" would be akin to winning the lottery.
Well i worked very hard for it and if that continues like.in last 2 years i am soon joining these souls.
Multiple times this 200 bucks sums up.
And this very unnecessary because raymarine just uses eveywhere their proprietary **** to scam you off.
And new is not better, nothing came after the ST60 dispalys thats better...so keep as much of the old i can and only add new where i absolutely must. Means adapters adapters adapters...
And the added security of a doppler radar is needed nowadays.
Old 16-09-2023, 10:10   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post

One very annoying thing with AIS on Navionics is that the AIS icons only appear when you are zoomed in. If the ships aren't near you and you zoom out for an overview, they all disappear. If you don't know where to zoom into, It can look like there is nothing there. It actually makes the AIS feature on Navionics dangerous IMHO.
B&G hired the same Iowa farmboy to program their Zeus. You have to zoom way in to see the AIS targets.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, depth, navionics, nmea, wifi, work, yacht