Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2021, 15:21   #1

Navionics questions

Someone suggested that I use the Navionics app with an iPad for sailing around the USVI instead of a chartplotter. I have used the Navionics chart viewer online for trip planning but know nothing about the app. Can anyone point me to a good thread that might get me started - I searched but did not find what I was looking for (yet). Or alternatively, answer any of these questions? ->

1. Is wifi on the boat needed, or does it work with just a pre-loaded mapping system and the iPad's GPS?

2. Is there a tutorial or video online that will show me how this system works?

3. Is there a minimum age of iPad that works well with it- how old an iPad can one use it effectively?

4. Are other software purchases needed, or just Navionics and charts of areas of interest?

Thanks in advance
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 15:34   #2

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: Navionics questions

I am not a navionics expert, but I can help a little bit. You download the free app on a device and buy one of their chart packages. I bought the whole of the US for something like $30. After a year, your access to updates ends, but I believe you still have access to the entire region you bought. You can use the same paid package on multiple devices with the app, you just log in.

As far as loading the charts, you need wifi or data, but once you load an area, it is downloaded to the device. You load an area just by zooming in on the chart and that area of the chart will load.

The basic functions are pretty easy to intuit, and I'm sure there are tutorials on youtube for the more advanced functions. I have so far gotten by with just the basics.

I think the only restriction would be if the app can be installed on the device, so you would want to download the app on the device first to make sure it installs correctly.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 15:41   #3

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Check that your iPad has a built-in GPS. The cellular iPad versions generally do. The Wi-Fi-only versions do not and you have to buy an external GPS receiver such as this one. https://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-2200-detail
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 15:44   #4

Oh, right, I forgot to mention that the device needs built-in gps, like Oeanda said, or you can get a plug in gps dongle for the tablet.
Old 03-10-2021, 16:37   #5

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

In addition to what was already posted, you will need your iPAD plugged in to power almost constantly while using it for navigation. It will use a lot of power during this.
Old 03-10-2021, 16:40   #6

I don't use an ipad, I use a samsung active tab, which can run navionics with screen on for 7+ hours on a full charge. That being said, I have installed a usb outlet at the binacle so that I can keep it plugged in while using it.
Old 03-10-2021, 16:52   #7

Boat: Southerly 480

There is also iNavX. They have a number of tutorials on YouTube so you can get an idea if it suits your purpose. It works with Android tablets and iPads.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZC...i8iTUzFndakBew

I use my iPad with iNavX as backup. I use the seasucker mounts. They’re incredibly strong.

https://www.seasucker.com/collection...vel-case-black
shimari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 21:00   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
1. Is wifi on the boat needed, or does it work with just a pre-loaded mapping system and the iPad's GPS?
3. Is there a minimum age of iPad that works well with it- how old an iPad can one use it effectively?
4. Are other software purchases needed, or just Navionics and charts of areas of interest?
1. Navionics app allows you to download charts for offline use. You seem to imply that your iPad has GPS, so no need for external gps.
2. https://m.youtube.com/c/navionics/videos
3. You can try the app for free for a limited time (don’t recall if it’s 1 week), so you can test directly.
4. No other software needed to make Navionics work.

Fair winds.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:30   #9

This is great feedback, I really appreciate it.

I don't think my iPad, actually an iPad mini, has GPS.

I own a Garmin 60Csx and an iphone 12 mini. Could either provide the GPS data to the iPad Mini? I suppose I could just use the phone, although the screen is rather small. I have Gaia GPS app on it, which allows for downloading maps, including NOAA charts, which can then be used without cell coverage.

Maybe all I need is some way for the phone to display onto the iPad Mini, via bluetooth?

I wish one of my sons were here. But they are in their 20's, so probably too ancient to know about all this stuff.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:00   #10

Disregard that last post- I have an iPad mini 4 which apparently does have GPS. I am going to see what that does with my Gaia NOAA charts as a test, and maybe add a Navionics plan and charts if needed.

Thanks all.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:19   #11

I think the navionics charts are great, but I really like the information that they have about marinas and anchorages with user inputted reviews and data about rates, fuel docks, dock depths, etc.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:00   #12

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
Here you go: https://www.navionics.com/usa/blog/c...ng-app-academy

(This was actually useful, as someone asked me how to enter coordinates into the app just the other day, I had no idea how one would do that, but now I know!)
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 16:13   #13

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

I tend to do my planning on my iPad then automatically synch the route to my iPhone.

My iPhone stays in my pocket and I pull it out when needed.

Most of the time I’m looking out at the world rather than staring at a screen.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 03:55   #14

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 49

My ipad has about 500MB in dowloaded charts but now won’t download more. Has anyone had this issue?
Student_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics