Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2014, 13:53   #61

Re: Navionics pull software from Google Play Store?

Hubert,

Thanks for your comments.

Lets see what will happen in the future.

Executive Board of GST has the issue on their agenda.
Before the decision can be announced to leisure organizations and their members, then the GST be sure that the service will be implemented in practice - ie GST must have at least signed a distribution contract with one company. It will of course not be very smart to advertise hydrographic service official if recreational sailors in practice will not be able to start using it.
When directors have taken the important decision, so will GST's task then be to ensure that one or more companies apply to become a distributor of hydrographic service and contracts with the concluded. Then there will be a press releases etc. informing service introduction at any given time.

It´s up to OpenCpn to apply for beeing a distributor.

Harding
Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 14:16   #62
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harding View Post
Hubert,

When directors have taken the important decision,....... Then there will be a press releases etc. informing service introduction at any given time.

Harding

Harding,

I hear "sit down, there will be a press release, here you have it and now like it or not"

- Which service?
- Distribution contract about what?
- What is the agenda, what are the terms, the ideas, the strategy? Put it on the table!

- Who discusses with whom about what?
- Which decisions are already taken? This is a public service, isn't it?
Seems to be a quite paternalistic approach - this generates big concerns.
- Where is the problem to discuss the ideas and contents with the "customers"?

Sorry, but this does not look good at all. For sailors in Danish waters. OCPN is really a second concern here. GST wants to take a strategic decision without any public discussion. Or where are the papers?

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 15:47   #63
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds

Quote:
Hubert,

It´s up to OpenCpn to apply for beeing a distributor.

Harding
Hi Harding :-)
(From your name and the subject I'm quite sure we know each other:-)

So why don't we apply for being a distributor? Then GST would have to tell us what exact conditions have to be met technically and commercially and we could estimate the work necessary to comply with the requirements?

I have not been able to make GST tell me exactly what conditions must be met in OpenCPN with the S63-plugin, even telling them that it has full compliance with S57, S52 and S63 and that OpenCPN-software is based on far more sailing miles than many 'market leading'-players. And many many more miles than Seapilot.

I think that must be our next step,- to apply for being a distributor, at least to get to know what conditions must be met to be able to apply for being a distributor :-)

I'm curious to know what excuse they might find:-)

(edit: I have applied to be a distributor now at GST. Lets see what response I get)

/oem
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 01:47   #64

No never sit Down and relax, act!
Send a mail to GST on: gst@gst.dk with your proposal for beeing a distributor.
I´m shure they will revert to you.

There is and has for long time been contacts, testboards ect. between sailors, their sailing-unions and GST for report on GST´directions table.

Harding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Harding,

I hear "sit down, there will be a press release, here you have it and now like it or not"

- Which service?
- Distribution contract about what?
- What is the agenda, what are the terms, the ideas, the strategy? Put it on the table!

- Who discusses with whom about what?
- Which decisions are already taken? This is a public service, isn't it?
Seems to be a quite paternalistic approach - this generates big concerns.
- Where is the problem to discuss the ideas and contents with the "customers"?

Sorry, but this does not look good at all. For sailors in Danish waters. OCPN is really a second concern here. GST wants to take a strategic decision without any public discussion. Or where are the papers?

Hubert
Old 22-11-2014, 01:53   #65

Hej Ole,

Really good idea to apply for distribution approval.

GST want of cause apply from all serious distributors.

Harding

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem View Post
Hi Harding :-)
(From your name and the subject I'm quite sure we know each other:-)

So why don't we apply for being a distributor? Then GST would have to tell us what exact conditions have to be met technically and commercially and we could estimate the work necessary to comply with the requirements?

I have not been able to make GST tell me exactly what conditions must be met in OpenCPN with the S63-plugin, even telling them that it has full compliance with S57, S52 and S63 and that OpenCPN-software is based on far more sailing miles than many 'market leading'-players. And many many more miles than Seapilot.

I think that must be our next step,- to apply for being a distributor, at least to get to know what conditions must be met to be able to apply for being a distributor :-)

I'm curious to know what excuse they might find:-)

(edit: I have applied to be a distributor now at GST. Lets see what response I get)

/oem
Old 22-11-2014, 02:26   #66
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds

Quote:
Hej Ole,

Really good idea to apply for distribution approval.

GST want of cause apply from all serious distributors.

Harding
Yes, and I am serious indeed.

And I really do think that all sailors in Denmark, Scandinavia, Germany, Poland and international should be serious about the same issue.

Should public service data be reserved a few 'market-leading'-companies (I quote a letter from GST to me). Or should open source products made by leisure sailors and with better and more flexible solutions take over at least a fair share of that market.

What strategy will lead to highest quality of navigation for leisure sailors? If we look at the past? If we look into the future?

It will be exciting to hear what excuse GST will use to try to probibit grass-root leisure sailors' access to official seachart data:-)

And by the way, this part of this thread should be in the OCPN-forum. Sorry.
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 02:32   #67

Boat: Spray Replica

I am joining this debate late. I just wanted to give a shout out to Navionics. We are transiting the Western Borneo Coast and transiting through the Philippines, Taiwan to Japan before we cross to the Aleutians. I have just installed an updated Raymarine radar and Chart plotter a couple of weeks ago. I had ordered the Navionics+World flexible Chip to give us the charts we need for the voyage. Whilst we had huge issues with the supplier EPAL in Chicago that caused us no end of pain. (I'll post separately on that later) Navionics have been outstanding helping us with a few issues we had with there chip. The main problem was downloading using XP Pro. I can not praise the staff at Navionics support center more highly. We have had the same representative, Elisa, through the whole process and she has gone above and beyond to help, including emailing us daily to ensure that her solutions helped. Possibly the best support I have ever received in the Marine industry.

Garry
Spirit of Sobraon

Home Page | Spirit of Sobraon's Travel Log
sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 02:59   #68
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem View Post
Yes, and I am serious indeed.

And I really do think that all sailors in Denmark, Scandinavia, Germany, Poland and international should be serious about the same issue.

Should public service data be reserved a few 'market-leading'-companies (I quote a letter from GST to me). Or should open source products made by leisure sailors and with better and more flexible solutions take over at least a fair share of that market.

What strategy will lead to highest quality of navigation for leisure sailors? If we look at the past? If we look into the future?

It will be exciting to hear what excuse GST will use to try to probibit grass-root leisure sailors' access to official seachart data:-)

And by the way, this part of this thread should be in the OCPN-forum. Sorry.
Specific thread opened at OCPN:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1683579

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:58   #69

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobraon View Post
We are transiting the Western Borneo Coast and transiting through the Philippines, Taiwan to Japan before we cross to the Aleutians. Spirit of Sobraon

Home Page | Spirit of Sobraon's Travel Log
There are some additional sources for free charts that work in OCPN for these areas. The Hong Kong Hydrographic Office have free SENC charts with updates for S. China Sea. Also a complete set of KAP charts for the Philippines Downloads | put together by Bewitched. Enjoy this is a lovely cruising area.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google, navionics, software