Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2023, 06:02   #1

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Navionics just updated their terms to limited logged users to two per account

It would appear that Navionics now limits an account to two concurrently logged in devices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	282792

In my opinion, this seems unreasonable and greedy. In our case, my wife has Navionics on her phone, I have it on my phone. I have it installed on an iPad and I would like to have it on a back up device in a Ditch bag. This would bring the total of devices to four, and I don’t believe any of these are unreasonable.

Not to mention, they just had a substantial price increase across all of their charts.

I just submitted some feedback letting them know how I feel about this. Of course if I’m the only one that does this, it will have no impact but if many of us submit our feedback hopefully they will get the message loud and clear.

It looks like we can share our feedback to help@navionics.com.

In the event that they don’t modify their behavior based on their customers needs does anyone have an alternative that allows one account to be logged in on up to five devices?
Dchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 08:00   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Navionics just updated their terms to limited logged users to two per account

I’ve been using the Navionics app for years on phones and tablets and on our chart plotters. The app continues to slide downhill in my opinion, and that seems to have accelerated since being acquired by Garmin. The only thing unique about the Navionics app at this stage is the auto-routing feature [which I use in complicated waters for quick route comparisons, but still create my own routes for actual navigation.]

I have found Nobeltech TZiBoat to be a far superior navigation app which includes raster charts where available, as well as topographic information. [All it lacks is auto-routing…]

Answering your question about number of supported [concurrent?] users, I don’t know with TZiBoat, but do run it on 4 different devices currently…

In case this is of interest.

Cheers, Bill
Old 30-10-2023, 08:09   #3

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Navionics just updated their terms to limited logged users to two per account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchase View Post
It would appear that Navionics now limits an account to two concurrently logged in devices.

Attachment 282792

In my opinion, this seems unreasonable and greedy. In our case, my wife has Navionics on her phone, I have it on my phone. I have it installed on an iPad and I would like to have it on a back up device in a Ditch bag. This would bring the total of devices to four, and I don’t believe any of these are unreasonable.

Not to mention, they just had a substantial price increase across all of their charts.

I just submitted some feedback letting them know how I feel about this. Of course if I’m the only one that does this, it will have no impact but if many of us submit our feedback hopefully they will get the message loud and clear.

It looks like we can share our feedback to help@navionics.com.

In the event that they don’t modify their behavior based on their customers needs does anyone have an alternative that allows one account to be logged in on up to five devices?
WTF...thanks God I have added the orca core with orca charts.

Even worse if you wanna buy charts you must have app version 20, which means all the older iPads and Android tablets where Navionics was running on you can forget. This is obviously because you can only block the number of logged devices in newer versions of the app.
Navionics eg is running absolutely fine on my ipad1 with newest maps and i can confirm i didn't get the updated terms and condition page. They also don't count into your 2 looged in device limit. Clear what and why they did it but clearly didn't foreseen clearly what that really means, So in may2024 when the charts expire that's a foto frame and all older tablets too.
That has a much bigger impact then just limiting to 2 devices.

Well they get feedback from me called "WTF are you thinking..."

Yes I know some share their navionics account and that's what they are obviously targeting for.
Sailing community give them a **** storm they deserve here. And we'll add the environmental aspect of rendering millions of old tablet useless...maybe that climate nonsense can finally do something good here.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 09:01   #4

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
WTF...thanks God I have added the orca core with orca charts.
I think you can now subscribe to Orca charts also without buying their hardware.

Reading these changes I’m also happy we got off Navionics last winter. Very happy with Orca for the Baltic so far.

I would say the five devices per subscription you get there is the bare minimum. Phone and tablet for each crew member, plus the “chartplotter tablet” that’s fixed in the cockpit. Being limited to two would be dangerous (not to mention make route planning on a marina bar terrace more difficult)
bergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 09:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergius View Post
I think you can now subscribe to Orca charts also without buying their hardware.

Reading these changes I’m also happy we got off Navionics last winter. Very happy with Orca for the Baltic so far.
Core still lacking reliability and chart coverage but I hope they get it sorted soon.
Yes you can get Orca charts without core or Orca display but that is a bad deal for most.

Still have Navionics on my chartplotter but I will evaluate to renew my Navionics subscription then...if they don't change that making 3 of my 6 tablets aboard fotoframes...the iPad 2 at my navstation running Navionics has a military grade watertide case incl. charge cable that costed 250Euro that will be a fotoframe you cannot get that case for newer ipads and I don't need the newest navionics gizmos features which are mostly useless in best case.
Old 30-10-2023, 09:29   #6

Boat: J-122e

My chart access on the Ipad has come to a halt as I do not «subscribe» to thr yearly subscription. Does C-Map have the same system of «leasing» downloaded maps?
HenrikH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 10:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikH View Post
My chart access on the Ipad has come to a halt as I do not «subscribe» to thr yearly subscription. Does C-Map have the same system of «leasing» downloaded maps?
Yes all of them, they all love recurring revenues
Old 30-10-2023, 11:19   #8

Boat: J-122e

Quote:
Yes all of them, they all love recurring revenues
Thanks - a task for the young to develop a hack that stop the clock
HenrikH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 13:11   #9

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I had to laugh at the suggestion of offering Garmin "feedback."

You'd have more luck whistling into the wind.

You clearly don't understand Garmin's business model. They don't want cruisers. They want yotties who love to throw money at shiny electronics.

It will be with great satisfaction that I uninstall Navionics when my subscription runs out.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 15:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I had to laugh at the suggestion of offering Garmin "feedback."

You'd have more luck whistling into the wind.

You clearly don't understand Garmin's business model. They don't want cruisers. They want yotties who love to throw money at shiny electronics.

It will be with great satisfaction that I uninstall Navionics when my subscription runs out.
Navionics is a big profitable revenue stream for Garmin, so you don't wanna **** that up.
I don't offer feedback, I want that the cruising community starts a shitstorm and basically flooding their mail with complaints and notification of no renewal.
I am sure that have no idea of the scale effects that version 20 limit of the app has...
Raise of map price I would swallow, 2 devices limit put to4 and acceptable but that I cannot use my semi-installed 3 older tablets with cases for 500 bucks total anymore is a reason to kick their ass for good on the tablets. Basically wouls cost me 1000bucks to replace with working ones...won't do...
Just copy your last sentence and sent via email...if their mailbox explodes they will react.
That will work, believe me...
Old 30-10-2023, 16:26   #11

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikH View Post
Thanks - a task for the young to develop a hack that stop the clock
Use SASplanet to download charts as MBtiles, store them locally and use OpenCPN or QTvlm to navigate with them. A CM93 baselayer is helpful too for object queries.
Old 30-10-2023, 16:29   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

I believe the biggest message one can send is canceling subscription.
I have just downloaded the ORCA app and will be testing it. If it works for my purposes, I am done with Navionics at least for NE USA.
Old 31-10-2023, 05:53   #13

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
...I don't offer feedback, I want that the cruising community starts a shitstorm and basically flooding their mail with complaints and notification of no renewal...
Sorry if my previous post sounded like I was dumping on you, personally. I should have been more careful in my wording.

My point is I honestly don't believe Garmin sees us as a critical revenue stream. The way they work is they buy up the competition, lay off all the support and development staff, and milk it for as long as they can.

They fully expect subscriptions to fall off. Remember, they're an aviation electronics company first. Their target market is the "money is no object" crowd. Plenty of those types in boating. Those customers will keep paying for years, and probably brag to their yotting buddies how much they spent. Garmin doesn't need us.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 10:04   #14

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

UPDATE: I just received an email regarding my inquiry from Garmin Support.

Dchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 10:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchase View Post
UPDATE: I just received an email regarding my inquiry from Garmin Support.

Great now i have an email, lets see what they say about backwards capabilities. Flood their support with complains.

Tags
navionics