Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Should navigational aids be discontinued?
Yes! We have GPS and chartplotters now. They just get in the way now! 7 6.67%
No, they are a useful backup to the GPS/Plotter/Microwave/Vibrator thing that blinks at me as I drive the boat. 98 93.33%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2011, 07:41   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Navigational Aids are a Waste of Money !

Ok, let's hear it!
Old 14-06-2011, 07:51   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Navigational aids are a waste of money!

Didn't you see that article in a magazine a year or two ago? They were suggesting that Nav aids would become virtual. You look through a HUD and see all the ATONs generated by the software. No more real stuff to maintain.

Next all you need is a wraparound viewscreeen and then you don't need the expense of a boat either, just go virtual boating in the safety and comfort of your home.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 07:52   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Not everyone has a GPS chart plotter nor should have to have one in order to use our waterways. GPS plotters are also a supplement to and not a replacement for navaids.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 08:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Didn't you see that article in a magazine a year or two ago? They were suggesting that Nav aids would become virtual. You look through a HUD and see all the ATONs generated by the software. No more real stuff to maintain.

Next all you need is a wraparound viewscreeen and then you don't need the expense of a boat either, just go virtual boating in the safety and comfort of your home.

John
Sadly, with the "marine" price markup, I probably won't be able to afford one of those wraparound viewscreens. Poor me, I will be stuck with this lousy, obsolete, water-borne transportation device that you actually have to SAIL!
Old 14-06-2011, 08:02   #5

A third choice may be needed.

3) Navigational aids, when used with discretion, are a primary means of navigation.

The discretionary comment comes from the problems associated with lights being out, lights being changed, buoys getting shifted etc.. But that is the purpose of Notices to Mariners and Notices to Shipping.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 08:05   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Davids got it right IMO.
I think they are absolutely necessary.... chart plotter or not.
And...as of yet, I don't have a chart plotter.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 08:06   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The poll is skewing heavily in one direction (ok, maybe not heavily, but 3-0). Where are all the brave folks from the "death to paper" thread?!
Old 14-06-2011, 08:19   #8
cruiser

The poll asks the wrong question. "Now" they are needed. Will they be needed in future generations? Definitely not.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 08:21   #9

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Not everyone has a GPS chart plotter nor should have to have one in order to use our waterways. GPS plotters are also a supplement to and not a replacement for navaids.
David is correct here. Plus those aids let you know where the deep and not so deep waters are at. Navigation is an art that sadly is poorly practiced because of those who depend 100% on the GPS. What will they do if a solar flare or someone is jamming the GPS? Yes Major solar flares can knock out the satellites, Yes the GPS can be jammed locally or even turned off by the Military. Who would jam it? Those who don't like you or your life style.
The ATNs are necessary, needed and can help you keep your boat afloat.
The horror stories abound of those naviguessers who run outside the Red or Green line.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 08:22   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Sadly, with the "marine" price markup, I probably won't be able to afford one of those wraparound viewscreens. Poor me, I will be stuck with this lousy, obsolete, water-borne transportation device that you actually have to SAIL!

Hope you have a stout hull then...

Ocean Navigator | The magazine for long-distance offshore sailing and power voyaging

Quote:
So while virtual aids might save money, such a move would require that all mariners have an electronic system to see navigational aids. For those hardy souls who eschew electronic navigation, the waters of the world would return to a time when there were no buoys and a navigator, armed with a good lead line, a stout hull and a dash of courage, was largely on his own.
Trials happening around Europe already, doubt though if it will ever replace conventional buoys, not completely anyway. Personally from experience i trust the laptop with cm93 plugged into gps than I trust unfamiliar buoys. And i don't trust the laptop that much either
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 08:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
When I go out for a daysail, I often don't even install the GPS in the cockpit as I am in local waters, but I still like to see the Nav buoys that mark the shoals as I cruise back to the slip.

And, when I am cruising unfamiliar waters, I still want to see the marks that delineate the ship channel and other things such as the off-limit areas around Pax River etc.

ps: How many of you Chesapeake Bay sailors would like to get into Fairlee Creek without the markers
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 08:30   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Hope you have a stout hull then...

Ocean Navigator | The magazine for long-distance offshore sailing and power voyaging

Trials happening around Europe already, doubt though if it will ever replace conventional buoys, not completely anyway. Personally from experience i trust the laptop with cm93 plugged into gps than I trust unfamiliar buoys. And i don't trust the laptop that much either
The video camera records the scene and sends that to the central computer, which also knows the boat's heading and position. The computer lays down virtual images of buoys and a course to steer in highway view (complete with "guardrails") along with other navigational aids and hazards.

This comes on X-box or Playstation?
Old 14-06-2011, 08:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
A third choice may be needed.

3) Navigational aids, when used with discretion, are a primary means of navigation.

The discretionary comment comes from the problems associated with lights being out, lights being changed, buoys getting shifted etc.. But that is the purpose of Notices to Mariners and Notices to Shipping.
Yeah, for instance they just shifted the buoys marking the Northern Entrance to the Kent Narrows due to shifting sands(mud). I am sure my GPS charts won't reflect that until I get an upgrade and it's hard to tell when the charts will be upgraded by the manufacturer.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 09:00   #14

Boat: Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
David is correct here. Plus those aids let you know where the deep and not so deep waters are at. Navigation is an art that sadly is poorly practiced because of those who depend 100% on the GPS. What will they do if a solar flare or someone is jamming the GPS? Yes Major solar flares can knock out the satellites, Yes the GPS can be jammed locally or even turned off by the Military. Who would jam it? Those who don't like you or your life style.
The ATNs are necessary, needed and can help you keep your boat afloat.
The horror stories abound of those naviguessers who run outside the Red or Green line.
Things could get interesting in the very near futurefor those who rely solely on GPS.

www.crunchgear.com/.../fcc-approves-lightsquared-frequencies-gps-now-in- danger/ -
GorillaToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 09:05   #15

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

The same debate once waged about lighthouses. The only lighthouses I see now are museums. Too bad since they could be automated now.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money