Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2011, 10:23   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Navigation Software

So here is my dilemma. I had an old computer with Capn Voyager loaded, that computer power unit no longer works. I had Capn Voyager backed up on my new computer that has Windows 7, it will not support the voyager program
My thought is to buy another navigation program. Capn Voyager can only be purchased in the bow, not downloaded over the internet. We live in Grenada.
If I buy a new software system, any suggestions on one that is PC based? I have just looked at TIKI Navtronics Gold and Pro.
We sail in the Caribbean and sail at night. Have all of the paper charts and 2 hand help GPS system. Have learned to enjoy verifying my location as I'm approaching a bay. I personally like the PC based software over a dedicated Garmin plotter
What do you find that works and that I can download over the internet. Thanks
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 12:15   #2

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Re: Navigation Software

Landonshaw..

I would strongly recommend you try out the innovative and FREE OpenCPN navigation program which has everything you need and more.

Download it here: OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Also checkout the special OpenCPN thread on this forum.

Tore
Old 16-10-2011, 04:29   #3

Thank you,
Old 16-10-2011, 04:48   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

If you choose not to go with OpenCPN, take a look at Rosepoint's Coastal Explorer package. I found it very easy to use, and it accepts GPS input to show your boat's position on the chart.

You can try out the Express version for free. It uses the free NOAA U.S. charts, but for the Caribbean, you'd have to buy a set.
Old 16-10-2011, 05:51   #5

Just downloaded the OpenCPN. Now looking for charts for Caribbean. Went to NOAA site and it looks like it is all US. Can you help on where I can go for Caribbean charts? Thanks
Old 16-10-2011, 05:52   #6

I have hundreds of charts already loaded. Is there a way to find out if I can use them?
Old 16-10-2011, 06:18   #7

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

Click on the little wrench icon at the top of the screen in OpenCPN. Choose the "charts" tab and add the directory that contains your existing charts. Odds are they'll work.

If not, read about the usable chart formats here: Chart Formats | Official OpenCPN Homepage. There are lots of options.

If you're interested, you could join our group effort to convert the NGA charts that are currently available for viewing online into usable .kap files. Search in Cruiser's Forum for "NGA charts" and you'll find a long discussion thread that gives the background of the project.

The NGA charts themselves are at OpenCPN.info (English). If you choose to join the group, most of the Caribbean charts are already available. But be aware that these are still very much in an Alpha test phase and have not been fully checked for accuracy. Since you have complete coverage in paper charts and seem to be a careful navigator, you might be a good Alpha tester.

Also, the CM93 charts that are floating around on cd's amongst cruisers cover your part of the world in detail and work fine with OpenCPN. Ask around the anchorage or marina, and you'll probably find someone who has a copy they're willing to share.

Also, search in Cruisers's Forum for GE2KAP and you'll find a thread about a utility that can convert Google Earth views into usable charts in Open CPN. There is a link to the utility on the page I linked above. These would be quite handy as a supplement in many parts of the Caribbean.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 17:18   #8

Boat: Traditional 30

Right click on the exe file or software icon. Click Properties. Click Compatibility, Then select the old operating system you used to use it with.

It will give you choices of everything from win95 through to the various XP service packs.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, software