Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2021, 08:04   #1

Boat: Boatless
Navigation on a Tablet Question

I am considering getting a tablet for navigation (likely Navionics) in addition to my older chart plotter. I will only use it for navigation and PredictWind. Does it matter if it is android or a Mac? I use a Mac as my laptop and am more familiar with Apple products. But I believe they are more expensive.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Ron
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 08:18   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Navigation on a Tablet Question

Well, you cannot run OpenCPN on iPad. OpenCPN far superior to Navionics.

There are better apps for iPad than Navionics, ones which allow you to use official (and free) NOAA charts.

Navionics available on both iPad and Android. But you cannot guarantee Navionics is up to date with NOAA charts. (Certainly, here in Canada, Navionics is NOT fast in keeping their charts synced with CHS chart changes.)

Android tablets available from many manufacturers at a wide variety of prices.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 09:00   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We run aquamaps on an android tablet. It works very well, we use it more in the Bahamas than our chart plotter
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 09:30   #4

Boat: Other people's boats

If you're looking to use it purely for navigation, have multiple tablets or treat them as more disposable, then the cost may be of greater concern which argues for Android. Unless you are connecting to an external GPS (boat or bluetooth), you need a cellular model iPad to have built-in GPS.

For software compatibility, Navionics, iSailor, and Aqua Maps should run on either platform. OpenCPN is Android only, and SEAiq is iPad only. The former twoare OK when used as an adjunct to paper, the latter two are more capable and cost-effective. I have not played with Aqua Map yet, it looks like it has some interesting features and might be a good complement to one of the others.

Apart from that, I use an iPad because it plays well with my phone and laptop (both Apple) and it's not solely dedicated to navigation. I also use the same nav software across all three of them. My pre-trip workflow is to do passage planning and annotate the charts on the laptop, then use Airdrop to copy the chart notes to the tablet and phone.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 08:28   #5

Boat: Morgan 381 38 feet

Just finished the great loop on our sailboat with new ray marine axiom chart plotter which uses navionics. I used the iPad with aqua maps 90% of the time.
twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 08:37   #6

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

Which tablet do you recommended for to use open Cpn and Navionics ? .
thanks
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 08:47   #7

Boat: Hunter 30

The ipad is more expensive but I convinced my wife she could play her games better on the ipad. See what I did there? I run navionics and it plays well with my iphone, also running navionics as back up, and my laptop, Like the redundancy and ease of integration.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 08:50   #8

The Sansumg tab A has a built in GPS for navonics no data or cell tower needed. They are also inexpensive.
sailinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 08:56   #9

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I have used OpenCPN on Android tablets. The Android tablets can be inexpensive. I paid $60 for my current one and it has a GPS (necessary) and cell phone capability. That is the good news. The bad news is tablets are not usually waterproof and they are not sunlight readable. Although, I was able to use a tablet for navigation under a bimini.
Chartplotters give you free charts, repackaged at high cost, and bright displays.

I am selling a Garmin 492 chart plotter which contains built in charts. Contact me if interested.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 08:59   #10

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
If you're looking to use it purely for navigation, have multiple tablets or treat them as more disposable, then the cost may be of greater concern which argues for Android. Unless you are connecting to an external GPS (boat or bluetooth), you need a cellular model iPad to have built-in GPS.

For software compatibility, Navionics, iSailor, and Aqua Maps should run on either platform. OpenCPN is Android only, and SEAiq is iPad only. The former twoare OK when used as an adjunct to paper, the latter two are more capable and cost-effective. I have not played with Aqua Map yet, it looks like it has some interesting features and might be a good complement to one of the others.

Apart from that, I use an iPad because it plays well with my phone and laptop (both Apple) and it's not solely dedicated to navigation. I also use the same nav software across all three of them. My pre-trip workflow is to do passage planning and annotate the charts on the laptop, then use Airdrop to copy the chart notes to the tablet and phone.
Some good points here... My take away is that you should use the platform that you use on your other devices as either type has adequate Nav software, so the answer to the OP question is use what you are using to ease transfer of data and learning curve.

One of Requiems statements that I don't agree with is the use of "the same nav software across all three of [his devices]". While it does ease data transfer, This puts all your eggs in one basket. I have found that some maps are not as good as others and it is good to have multiple mapping systems for checks and redundancy.

I run OpenCPN on a windows OS laptop for my main plotting and routing functions. I use NOAA charts when in the USA, but that doesn't help you outside the US. I bought "NV" charts for the Caribbean and found that they were in some cases a few hundred meters off location as can be seen on the attached shot of my track in Grenada. I assure you we were in the middle of the deep area, not cutting over the reef.. We run Navionics on our android phones as a secondary check and have found much more accuracy in locating us on the map.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TempChartShot.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	248296  
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 09:01   #11

Boat: Nonsuch 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by surazo View Post
Which tablet do you recommended for to use open Cpn and Navionics ? .
thanks

I don't have a tablet for navigation yet, but this is the one I am considering. It's about twice the price of the best Samsung.

https://sailproof.shop/friends-of-sailing-kerguelen/
Old 14-11-2021, 09:22   #12

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

Thanks dadster .As it was described in the Story ,this tablet solved all the concerns about to use this way to navigate .really It have all the issues that i want it
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 09:37   #13

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Most Android tablets have built in GPS chip. iPad only has the GPS chip on the cellular capable versions (but you don’t need a SIM card or cell service to use iPad for navigation.) If u use a WIFi - only iPad, u will need an external GPS source, which can be a PITA or not.
Aquamaps is very useful for any AICW or Bahamas cruising ‘cus u can inexpensively add the USACE data for AICW & explorer charts for Bahamas.
I have Navionics (incl. sonar charts) on my MDF but run the iPad (plugged in ‘cus they are power hogs in full brightness & nav mode) beside it. In the Bahamas, I depend on the iPad as #1. It’s plenty bright enough under the Bimini. I just throw a zip lok bag over it in rain or heavy weather
Flatswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 09:42   #14

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

I will highly recommend AquaMaps over any of the other systems mentioned here.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 10:09   #15

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I would not use Navionics. If you prefer to use an ipad, select another navigation package than Navionics. The charts are not the issue for me, it's the software which I find lacking.

For example, the last two times I tried Navionics I found, for example, that waypoint functionality was indaquate. To place a waypoint in a route you have to use you finger to make a new mark, or whatever they called it, I can't remember. So you couldn't use existing waypoints which you might have been given. And placement with your finger was not a very accurate way to set a mark or waypoint. Secondly, if you subsequently got lon/lat for a waypoint (mark) you could not go back and enter the lon/lat to move the waypoint (mark) to the exact location. I even called Navionics customer support and they confirmed that you culd not do what I wished to do.

It was at that point when I stopped considereind Navionics as a serious navigation tool. Maybe there are other issues. Or maybe they've fixed everything.

All I know is that OpenCPN (on a laptop, in my case) is the best and most capable tool that exists. and it is free and legal.

Tags
navigation