Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2011, 11:31   #1

Navigation In the 0-3 Fathoms Zone

Should a mariner be able to trust that enough navigable water exist between the “Open Sea” and a spot sounding of 2 fathoms (3.7 meter) in a charted 0 to 3 fathoms zone? (0 to 5.5 meter zone)
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 12:17   #2

Re: Navigation in the 0 to 3 fathoms zone.

I'm not following here. You're in 0-3 fathoms charted and picking up 2 fathoms on the sonar?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 12:52   #3

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Should a mariner be able to trust that enough navigable water exist between the “Open Sea” and a spot sounding of 2 fathoms (3.7 meter) in a charted 0 to 3 fathoms zone? (0 to 5.5 meter zone)
No, based on your very limited info, there is no way to trust that enough water exist. If you want more "help" than that, you have to be way more verbal about what's going on. Position, what chart, draft of your boat etc, etc.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 13:13   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I work on a "Shopping Cart Principle"

If sailing in an area so shallow that a shopping cart thrown overboard by some louts (Eric, for example) is going to ruin the keels paint then only sail there with eyes apeeled....

If you don't like the Shopping Cart senario, try coral head, or rock etc.

If there is only 1 meter under the keel I am going dead slow. Dunno what those in the Bahamas do....

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 14:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
No, based on your very limited info, there is no way to trust that enough water exist. If you want more "help" than that, you have to be way more verbal about what's going on. Position, what chart, draft of your boat etc, etc.

Thomas
Still not following what the question is, but if I'm unsure about depth the two things that flash in my head is tide and bottom type. A rising tide and a sandy bottom is really no big deal. Rocky stuff and/or a falling tide is a bit worse.

If you have reason to doubt (or simply not enough reasons to be confident) with the water depth I'd focus on the things that are under your control. As Mark said, big difference between hitting a sand bar at 1 knot or 5.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 14:21   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
hopping Cart senario, try coral head, or rock etc.

If there is only 1 meter under the keel I am going dead slow. Dunno what those in the Bahamas do....

Mark
In the Bahamas, in certain areas, the bottom is dead flat, about 7 to 10 feet. We run as fast as we can. You get used to a foot or two under the keel. Haven't found any shopping carts there yet (no supermarkets). Now I would not do this in Miami, lots of carts!
Old 13-08-2011, 23:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'm not following here. You're in 0-3 fathoms charted and picking up 2 fathoms on the sonar?
Lets say I am seeking to take shelter in a bay with a few charted spot soundings of 2 fathoms. I am at the 3 fathoms (5.5 meter) contour and have surveyed it with the sounder and it is in accordance with my Navionics and CM 93 electronic charts and it looks good. I intend to proceed toward the closest 2 fathoms spot sounding after surveying the 4.5 meter contour.
I have found the following on ‘spot sounding’ in Google but this definition does not agree with my electronic charts that call every sounding a spot sounding. No matter the depth in that region. For now I have to go back to the boat. Will get in touch tomorrow with more detail.
4.4 Spot Sounding
Spot soundings are depths taken by manual means (a meter stick or weighted measured line) or by using sonar (if possible) in places where it is impractical, unsafe, or impossible to run a transect (Figures 5 and 6). For example, spot sounding will be conducted in a shallow area around a small island that has a shoal area covered by water, but the depth is too shallow to use a boat or sonar. Occasionally, spot soundings are used in densely vegetated aquatic areas because the motor cannot push the boat along at a constant speed.
Old 14-08-2011, 00:14   #8

Boat: Gaff Schooner 45' - Talisman of Fambridge
Re: Navigation in the 0-3 Fathoms Zone

Chala,

The only real answer here is no. If you must proceed through an area that has been "Spot Sounded" then do so at a "Dead Slow" speed maintain your own soundings and be prepared to stop, reverse course and try again else where. In such areas a forward looking sonar would be a big help. Our forward looking sonar is SWM on the bow with a lead line.

Areas that are listed as Spot Sounded cannot be trusted. Use your own judgement.

Simes
Old 14-08-2011, 00:15   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
In short, NO.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 23:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simes View Post
Chala,
Areas that are listed as Spot Sounded cannot be trusted. Use your own judgement.
Simes
Looking at that region of the Isle of Wight with CM93, every soundings are spot soundings are you saying that none can be trusted?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spot soundings.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	30492  
Old 14-08-2011, 23:39   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
In short, NO.
So if they cannot be trusted why bother marking them on a chart? These unapproachable soundings may be more the cause of a stranding than anything else.
Old 14-08-2011, 23:40   #12

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

I have a cheap fishing pole I use for this. Weight with a float attached exactly the draft +1 foot. If you throw the line out and see the float, STOP. Just make sure the weight can sink the float.
Old 15-08-2011, 00:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I work on a "Shopping Cart Principle"
If sailing in an area so shallow that a shopping cart thrown overboard by some louts (Eric, for example) is going to ruin the keels paint then only sail there with eyes apeeled....
If you don't like the Shopping Cart senario, try coral head, or rock etc.
Mark
I normally leave 2 meter under the keel when I anchor this allow for quite a tall trolley unless there is large tide (7m plus) and I know well the anchorage I will leave less. In unknown ground I check for a 6.5 meter under the keel contour and if satisfactory I check for the 4.5 meter under the keel contour and back track to the deepest spot then proceed upwind at the smallest steerable speed (0.5 Kt up). Favourable tide movement, tidal streams and moon cycle are more difficult to get at the right time. Now getting into contact with a 4.5 meter trolley is not frequent but can happen very suddenly.
Old 15-08-2011, 00:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I have a cheap fishing pole I use for this. Weight with a float attached exactly the draft +1 foot. If you throw the line out and see the float, STOP. Just make sure the weight can sink the float.
Good idea, does it still work in 22+ Kts wind in a short and steepy swell?
Old 15-08-2011, 00:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
A rising tide and a sandy bottom is really no big deal. Rocky stuff and/or a falling tide is a bit worse.
A cruising guide describes the place, as “comfortable anchorages exist close to the shore with sand bottom”.
As for the tide is what you get after a day sailing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tide.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	30493  

Tags
navigation