Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2016, 20:11   #1

Navigating Navigation Channel

I'm in Oklahoma and thinking about doing legs of the nav channel/intercostal. I think that could be a cool thing to do that could go on as long as I wanted it to. Just go for a week or so at a time and then start where I left off. I'm thinking maybe buying a trailerable Catalina 25 swing keel (I'm partial to the Catalina because I already have it big brother) and just taking the mast/rigging off and using it as a motor boat. The reason I would take the mast off is so I can transport it easy without the hassle, plus I wouldn't be doing much sailing down the nav channels. Mainly my question is what would be the best nav app/charts to get to start looking more into this?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:16   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Navigating Navigation Channel

If you are going to drop the rig anyway (which is fine, not much sailing on the ICW anyway and no worries about bridges), why not just buy a power boat? Much more practical on the ICW than an underpowered sail boat.

Also, why transport. Complete a leg and stow it there. Return later for the next leg minus the long cross country tow.

Get a copy of "The Waterway Guide". Specifically about the ICW.

The ICW runs (non-contiguously) from Texas to NJ so yes you could do this for a long time....then there is the Great Loop.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:49   #3

Navigating Navigation Channel

Thank you for the reply! The only reason I thought about the small sailboat is due to the fact that I can get so much for a low price. It's hard to get a small powerboat that has all the accommodations and what not. Also, I didn't know what options I had to "stow" the boat in different locations as it might be months in between uses. I'll have to check out the guide you mentioned. Thanks again for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:14   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Navigating Navigation Channel

Lots of small marinas along the ICW and with a small power boat you could get to them quickly.

Another advantage of a small boat is that you could trailer it between non contiguous sections of the ICW.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation