Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2009, 22:13   #1

Boat: Gullfstar 50
Nav system guidance/advice

I too am looking. I have found little information (other than manufacturer sales pitches) that is of much use. There are a lot of choices available. At present, I am leaning toward the Raymarine E80 system. It integrates GPS, radar, chart plotter, and depth features nicely in one system. I know the ‘putting all your eggs in one basket’ parable. I will continue to carry the basics for manual navigation. I just want a system that is a little more user friendly than my current system…which is next to nothing.
I would like feedback from anyone that might have some advice to offer. This system is rather pricey but in looking at what it offers might be a prudent investment. I do mostly coastal cruising in areas with many nautical hazards. I like the looks of the Raymarine so far. (and, no, I don't own stock in Raytheon)
Does anyone have any direction that a person could go to get more in depth analysis and product recommendation? I would like to think that some form of consumer report on navigation systems is available somewhere.
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 02:21   #2

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
At present, I am leaning toward the Raymarine E80 system.
Does anyone have any direction that a person could go to get more in depth analysis and product recommendation? I would like to think that some form of consumer report on navigation systems is available somewhere.
Try Panbo. I personally don't like Raymarine due to the interface but they will be around due to their size. You should come to your own conclusions on who to go with though.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 03:35   #3

I have a C80 and it works fine, but the user interface is terrible... not intuitive and I am constantly stumped at how to find something. Weird menus to drill down.

Perhaps I am too old to get it. Imagine what Apple would do for GUI in the marine electronics environment. Ray are you listening?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 03:51   #4

Boat: Tasman elite Cat
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson
Dune
I have the c80 and find it faultless,mainly use on chartplotter,radar at night but the fishfinder tells lies.We have travelled approx 2500 miles with no problems.I find it very easy to use
cheers Steve
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 06:23   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I would compare the RayMarine system with the Furuno NavNet 3D system. I have used both and like the Furuno system better. I find the Furuno system to be more intuitive and easier to use.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 07:22   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I have a 5 year old Raymarine, and I will likely look elsewhere when replacing. Personally, I just don't like their attitude about repairs and support - and that they KNOW they are the big dog.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 10:11   #7

Raymarine

On the other hand, I broke my Raymarine tiller pilot while on a cruise (my fault). Called them and shipped FedEx overnight to them. They repaired it and FedExed back to the Marina where I holed up (it had a Tiki Bar). Sent it to them Monday, had it Wednesday and NO CHARGE!
Also sent a ST60 gauge back to them with a cracked casing (again my fault as I hit it with an anchor) and they repaired and returned for a minimal fee in a timely manner.
I will always buy RayMarine.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 00:51   #8
SG

Boat: J/160 #12
I'd look at the Northstar and Furuno 3D units. The Northstar (we have 6001i) is very user friendly; however, the Furuno MFD12 unit(s) are very nice and easy to read also.

They both have dual station units at the binnacle and nav station.

They are more expensive than the Raymarine -- but then, you get what you pay for.

I think that Furuno has a better radar which you can integrate.
SG is offline   Reply With Quote