Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2021, 07:56   #61

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35
Re: Nav aids from the beginning

Traditional:
Paper charts

Breton Plotter
Good single-hand dividers
Faber-Castell 2B grade pencil
Staedtler manual pencil sharpener

Electronic:
AquaMap app
AyeTides app
Pocket GRIB app
BuoyData app
Old 26-03-2021, 08:07   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
IThe big problem with tablets is they overheat and shut off if left in the sun. A real chart plotter is much better for cockpit use, in my experience.
This is god advice. Tablets and smartphones aren't made for use in the cockpit in hot regions. Keep them under deck and you'll be fine.

The more I sail the less I think a chart-plotter at the helm is an absolute necessity. It becomes more of a luxury feature that is nice to have, but it's perfectly fine to do navigation at the nav-table under deck too. It worked well for generations of sailors.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 08:13   #63

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
This is god advice. Tablets and smartphones aren't made for use in the cockpit in hot regions. Keep them under deck and you'll be fine.

The more I sail the less I think a chart-plotter at the helm is an absolute necessity. It becomes more of a luxury feature that is nice to have, but it's perfectly fine to do navigation at the nav-table under deck too. It worked well for generations of sailors.
I agree with this. I have my iPad lying somewhere in a soft case and will occasionally look at it (AIS + Nav data on iNavX). Also have paper charts and an old Raymarine GPS.

To be frank though, I, like many other people, spend my life looking at screens so when I am on board I don't want to see any screens. I don't even consider a screen at the wheel as a nice to have (anymore).
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 08:57   #64

Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)

Accumulated in the years, thus this is my redundancy:

- a rugged waterproof phone (Blackview 9500) + Navionics and OpenCpn+CM93 world charts (plus the admiral's phone with the same apps and charts)

- a Linux pc with Opencpn and Cm93 charts and USB Gps (plus the admiral's pc with same configuration)

- an old BW plotter
- paper charts, guides, tables, Tamaya sextant (sight reduction app in the phone)
- old but still functioning handheld Gps
Visarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 11:10   #65

In America or New-Zealand I'd use OpenCPN since the charts are available for free. In Australia I also use OpenCPN but I had to convert the charts myself and they are getting quite old. Buying new ones is very expensive, so I also use Navionics.
jjjacq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 13:25   #66

Boat: Presently between vessels

There is no good reason to use just one navigation tool.

Having your own chart book is nice.

Having full size charts is nice if you have room. This shouldn't be a problem unless planning long range cruising like a circumnavigation. I once gave away a big stack of charts...

Having and being able to use a sextant, compass, chronometer, and tables is wise.

A portable electronic device with GPS and marine charts is nice and more convenient than paper.

An installed plotter is very nice compared to a phone, tablet, or laptop.

New plotters should have the capability to connect without wires to another device if they are also capable. This doesn't require technical skill, only the ability to read and follow simple instructions.

I prefer a B&G plotter with C-MAP vector charts for primary navigation. I found the vulcan 9 was more than sufficient for my needs but I can understand why someone would want a Zeus 12. I also use an inexpensive navionics subscription for the phone and tablet for back-up and access to the user's reviews.
I also use opencpn on the phone & tablet.

I have also used Google earth!

Getting familiar with any particular device is not really necessary. They are all pretty easy to use.
RobPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 16:40   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjacq View Post
In America or New-Zealand I'd use OpenCPN since the charts are available for free. In Australia I also use OpenCPN but I had to convert the charts myself and they are getting quite old. Buying new ones is very expensive, so I also use Navionics.

The Australia oeSENC charts for OpenCPN are very reasonable at €35 (about AUD55) for the whole coastline plus PNG.

https://o-charts.org/shop/en/oesenc/...alia&results=1
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 18:57   #68

I use OpenCPN on a laptop to do my route planning and transfer the completed routes to my Garmin Chartplotter. OpenCPN is a great charting application in my opinion.
rreid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 15:33   #69

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Many choices are available for the varying preferences, meaning that what may appear to be perfect for boater one may seem inadequate or an overkill for boater two.

For many years, I've had paper charts for our cruising areas. I've been at it since before GPS was common so I learned with a compass and a chart. As GPS became more capable, we started relying on it and now have two Garmin units, a 7" used for depth and the 9" for navigation. From habit, the paper charts are checked before heading out but the the GPS is the primary means to navigate while underway.

This may seem inadequate for some but unnecessary for others. If you find a system that works for you, smile and navigate.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 13:54   #70

Boat: Precision 23

I came in as a nooby on the forum looking for just this very thread for chart plotter info on my first boat. (Precision 23)
In a nutshell, I learned that a good rugged, waterproof (IP67 or 68) tablet with Navionics and a good depth sounder will probably be all I need. Price about $600.
A basic chart plotter (I like the Ray Element S for a basic, fairly simple to learn unit) with depth/speed transducer is about $750, but MUCH better suited for use in the cockpit than the tablet.
One question is should I still have a redundant, stand alone depth sounder?
The B&G Vulcan is probably worth the extra, but for my first is probably quite a bit to learn and has capabilities I probably will never use or need. Also, my concerns of a wet touchscreen were well founded. And considering it is a trailerable, some of the B&G expensive bits look easily killable.

I plan on not being completely stupid and trying circumnavigation with my 23 footer, by I do want to sail many coastal areas from Chesapeake to the Gulf.
What else am I missing?
Kuwull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 01:00   #71

Boat: Island Packet 29

1) iPad that cellular capable (uses GPS not cellular) and Navionics. You can buy piles of the iPad Mini with cellular all day long for under $200.

2) Paper charts and a Portland Plotter. And some type of GPS device, Garmin, hand held marine radio, etc.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote