Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2009, 12:26   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My NMEA Logger Program

For the last couple of years I've been writing a NMEA logger program (Windows), that captures, logs, plays, displays (etc) NMEA 0812 data. It provides dial displays of most data, as well as AIS display/alarm, depth alarm, MOB alarm, stripcharts, etc. I took it to Hawaii and back during the '08 Pac Cup and have been bugfixing and feature-creeping since then. IMHO, it's pretty useful.

You are welcome to use it for free, and I would welcome any constructive comments. I do not intend to add chart-display. The screen is optimized for the (tiny, low power) EeePc, but it works fine on larger computers.

In particular, I would appreciate any NMEA capture files you might generate, so I can test it on other people's data.

Here is the main screen:

And the AIS screen:

If this sounds interesting, you can read more, and get the setup program here: NavMonPc

I have no intention to sell this program, and any support will depend on my attitude at the time. I guarantee nothing!
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 12:33   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
That is really cool Paul!...thanks.

I finally got my NavNet 3D up an running last week...if you ever want to compare notes. Its the MFDBB black box version. I'm really looking forward to getting underway and tweaking it sometime soon.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 13:01   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
That is really cool Paul!...thanks.

I finally got my NavNet 3D up an running last week...if you ever want to compare notes. Its the MFDBB black box version. I'm really looking forward to getting underway and tweaking it sometime soon.
You are most welcome.

I got my NN3d gear installed (2x MFD-8 displays, 4KW radar, Hub, GPS, and Fluxgate), and got to use it during the Jan 31'st "Three Bridge Fiasco" race here in San Francisco (see my blog for race details). I have to say, it's pretty intuitive, and having all the charting options is pretty neat. Of course, I usually just run it in straight up vector mode...

I still need to finish installing the new ACR AIS-B transponder, and interconnect all this stuff through the NMEA multiplexer. It won't be long now.

I see that Furuno has finally released some South Pacific and updated Hawaii charts for the 3D system.
www.sailvalis.com
Old 16-02-2009, 09:06   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Paul;

This is REALLY great! I have a NMEA 2000 network onboard Jubilee. Through eBay, I bought a Maretron NMEA2000>>USB gateway for $70. Any change you could support USB in the near future? Maretron wants ~$700 for their software - which means it is not in cards.

Maretron

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 09:13   #5

Boat: Newport 30
Thanks, been looking for something like this!
Lots of nice features.
Old 16-02-2009, 10:09   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Paul;

This is REALLY great! I have a NMEA 2000 network onboard Jubilee. Through eBay, I bought a Maretron NMEA2000>>USB gateway for $70. Any change you could support USB in the near future? Maretron wants ~$700 for their software - which means it is not in cards.

Maretron

Chris
I would like to be able to interface to a native USB port, and I don't think it should be too hard -- but I've not looked into it. At the moment the only USB I do is if it provides a virtual serial interface. I will research the other types of USB connections, and put this on the to-do list, since this seems like an excellent idea.

The NMEA2000 part may be more complicated, though, even though it would be a huge bonus for my program. My new Furuno chartplotter puts out NMEA2000 (I'm just using the NMEA0182 ports), and now that piqued my interest I might pick up that USB interface...

Has anyone found a free NMEA2000 design spec (or something close)?
www.sailvalis.com
Old 16-02-2009, 10:28   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
The unit in particular translates NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183. If you like, I can send you the Maretron box for temporary use to investigate. I imagine you would need to setup a temporary NMEA network, which means a at a minimum a power cable, terminator, and at least two micro connectors. Do you have any of that?

Here is the manual: http://www.maretron.com/support/manu...B100UM_1.2.pdf
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 16:12   #8

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind

Just lurkin'...
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 18:51   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
The unit in particular translates NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183. If you like, I can send you the Maretron box for temporary use to investigate. I imagine you would need to setup a temporary NMEA network, which means a at a minimum a power cable, terminator, and at least two micro connectors. Do you have any of that?

Here is the manual: http://www.maretron.com/support/manu...B100UM_1.2.pdf
Wow! As you said, it translates! I'm going to study the list of translations (as well as the rest of the spec). I'm will look at what came with my Furuno NN3D plotter and get back to you. I probably won't be able to really dig into this for a while, though.
www.sailvalis.com
Old 17-02-2009, 18:15   #10

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Thanks for application Paul. Installed fine under Vista 32 bit. Left out Franson Tools though as I already have their GpsGate running as a service.

Had it set-up & displaying boat data within seconds but couldn't see anything on AIS display (except my own vessel). Port set correctly at 38400 baud connecting to my Class B transponder. Maybe it only displays when its resolved target names, although some signs of data coming in (strange characters streaming in display box). Tried swapping ports to no effect.

Checking with another application using the same ports, four AIS targets displayed within a minute of loading prog so they were there.

Thanks again

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 22:06   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhula View Post
Had it set-up & displaying boat data within seconds but couldn't see anything on AIS display (except my own vessel). Port set correctly at 38400 baud connecting to my Class B transponder. Maybe it only displays when its resolved target names, although some signs of data coming in (strange characters streaming in display box). Tried swapping ports to no effect.
Richard, it should display AIS targets as soon as the first message is received. I assign a target# as the name until the static data (which includes the name) is received.

But, I have had some reports of AIS not being received, but instead garbled data which my program discards. I've not got to the bottom of it yet, and I would appreciate your help in debugging this:

* What is your serial connection to the PC? The Edgeport RS232/USB adaptor has been giving me trouble, as has the USB output of the Brookhouse NMEA mux (per reports, I've not yet got my hands on these for testing).

* Are you running different ports/speeds for your boat data and AIS data, or are they muxed before sending to my program?

* Would you mind collecting some of the NMEA data being fed to NavMonPc? You can capture this to a text file by going to File/Logging - [NMEA Log File].

Email it to me at Paul(at)Sailvalis(dot)com

I've tested this with several brands of RS232/USB mux, and with the ShipModul mux (bluetooth and wired serial), with no problems, but there are obviously still some interface compatibility issues that I need to fix.

Thanks!
www.sailvalis.com
Old 18-02-2009, 07:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
* Would you mind collecting some of the NMEA data being fed to NavMonPc? You can capture this to a text file by going to File/Logging - [NMEA Log File].
Paul, have PM'd you with all info you require.

Regards

If in doubt RTFM
Old 18-02-2009, 07:18   #13

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
FWIW, Keyspan serial/USB adapters were recommended to me by the folks at Rose Point Navigation Systems and I've had excellent results with both the Keyspan one port dongle and four port adapter box. Additionally, the four port unit works as a mux/demux with mixed data rates (4800 for most NMEA in and out plus 38400 for the AIS box).

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection with Keyspan, save as a customer. My connection with Rose Point Navigation Systems is only as a customer and unpaid beta tester (common for many Coastal Explorer owners).
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 18:43   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I found and fixed the serial port problems (a parity configuration bug). I also fixed the "close window" button hot-spot problem. Here is the link to the new version 0.21: NavMonPc

Please let me know if this solved the port problems -- thanks!
www.sailvalis.com
Old 18-02-2009, 19:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
I think I found and fixed the serial port problems (a parity configuration bug). I also fixed the "close window" button hot-spot problem. Here is the link to the new version 0.21: NavMonPc

Please let me know if this solved the port problems -- thanks!
Yep that fixed the AIS input bug.

Don't know if you are taking requests but metric option (depth-Metres, temp-°C) would be appreciated.

Many thanks Paul

If in doubt RTFM

Tags
nmea