Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2020, 04:28   #1

Boat: Hunter 340
My nightmare: Ordering digital charts for Canada

For my next trip up to the North Channel I decided it was time to get the latest in digital mapping for Lake Huron as offered by the Canadian Hydrographic Service. I just wanted a chart for Lake Huron. I wasn't asking for a security clearance. After spending $75 and 3 frustrating hours of my time, I finally looked at the charts. Never, ever again will I order a chart from the Canadian gov't.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:48   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: My nightmare: Ordering digital charts for Canada

I didn't even know you could buy directly from the Canadian government. I thought they licensed out the rights to sell charts to 3rd party retailers.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:28   #3

To order digital charts from Canada, you will need a 25 digit security code supplied by a supplier like Maptech, then go to...https://inter-j01.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/registry-registre/[/URL]
Be prepared to bang your head on the wall frequently.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:32   #4

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
To order digital charts from Canada, you will need a 25 digit security code supplied by a supplier like Maptech, then go to...https://inter-j01.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/registry-registre/[/URL]

Is this because you aren’t canadian?? It makes no sense! It I’m not surprised, our government loves control.....
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:50   #5

Boat: Heritage 35

Did you order them right from the Gov? Chart dealers would have been the easiest I think Just need a credit card. If digital navionics are I believe the Official charts just rebranded.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:25   #6

Great, now you have your charts but they will not let you in for this season. Sad state of affairs. I hope the USA lets us in come October.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:28   #7

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:
For my next trip up to the North Channel I decided it was time to get the latest in digital mapping for Lake Huron as offered by the Canadian Hydrographic Service. I just wanted a chart for Lake Huron. I wasn't asking for a security clearance. After spending $75 and 3 frustrating hours of my time, I finally looked at the charts. Never, ever again will I order a chart from the Canadian gov't.

I did the same thing, gave up a futile time trying to get a number. You can find the charts else where cheaper anyway.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:32   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Well how about that. You taught me something ... and ensured I'll never try that .

I've just bought my digital charts from various vendors: Garmin, Navionics, etc. Easy, and pretty cheap.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:43   #9

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I appreciate and share your frustration when I immigrated to Canada I was used to high quality paper maps being easily available through the UK hydrographic survey or ordinance survey. I found the reason for the difference is simply scale. Canada is a huge area and most of it has a very low population so the volume of requests for any particular map or chart is likewise very low. To cope with this the government surveys went to 'print on demand' very early. Government agency's don't stock maps or charts they manage data bases. From those map dealers print charts when they are ordered. If you want a chart of Puget Sound they local dealers will likely have printed a stock but not for anywhere else. So you have 2 options, order charts from a map distribute and they will print and correct the chart up to the date they send it out. Simple process just ring the chart agent with a list of chart numbers and pay by CC. It is EXPENSIVE. Alternatively use chart cartridges on a plotter, all the major ones do area charts that are more or less simple to get and install and have identical information supplied to them. Much cheaper. Depending on how many maps and charts you use there is a third option. Because I like to have printed maps and don't like paying $20+ for each on I bought a medium format printer that does up to 13"x19". I print charts from digital copies on water resistant paper. Works well and much cheaper, also means I can tailor the area I want but would not be practical on board unless you have a very large boat! If in the USA it means you get printed charts for the price of the paper and ink, wish we did!!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 17:27   #10

Boat: cape dory 31

Try Binnacle.com. Binnacle is a CHS and NOAA agent and prints charts on waterproof or water resistant paper. Their chart offerings include electronic charting for Cmap, Garmin and Navionics. I see both CHS and NOAA Great Lakes charts for sale on the website.

Binnacle is based in Halifax and sells a wide array of marine products online. I recently bought charts for the Bay of Fundy and the eastern coast of NS. Too bad I (probably) can’t do that cruise this summer.
snippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
Is this because you aren’t canadian?? It makes no sense! It I’m not surprised, our government loves control.....
I am a Canadian citizen, but a happy US resident. The Canadian gov't. could simplify the process, but that will never happen.
Old 11-07-2020, 17:23   #12

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

It is absurd compared to NOAA’s policy the approach of the Canadian Hydrographic service. I don’t run OpenCPN because of the absurd chart situation.

I second the suggestion of Navionics. The iPad app, on a cellular iPad and without using cell data, is excellent.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, charts