Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2020, 10:48   #16

Boat: Beneteau 40CC
Re: Most important nav upgrade(s) for old boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
iNavX on iPad and you are set for your sailing. Buy a waterproof case if you want to use it in the cockpit.
Bear in mind, not all iPads have a GPS, "location services" look similar, but rely on Cell tower triangulation. Make sure your iPad has GPS, for that reason I use Android tablets, specifically Samsung tablets which all have GPS built-in.

I use Navionics Boating HD app in US waters because the NOAA charts all input into the program for free. iNavX is best in regions like the Bahamas where NOAA charts are less accurate than other alternatives.

F

But the most important upgrade is a captain that's not got their nose buried in a tablet. Keep your eyes on changing conditions on the water, paper charts are great with an aware skipper comparing coastlines with squiggly lines on a chart, particularly in a visual environment like the San Juans.
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:17   #17

Boat: Alden 44

Since my Raymarine MFD and radar crapped out I have used a non gps ipad with Navionics charts and a Garmin Glo GPS (communicates with ipad via bluetooth). I did also add an auxiallary battery, waterproof case and mount for the helm. It has met all my navigation needs including currents (but get a Ports and Passes book if you go to Canada). Navionics on my Iphone is backup. This is for all of San Juans and north as far as Desolation Sound. An AIS app is nice up around Turn Point in the Traffic zone. Pretty inexpensive if you already have an ipad.

The other essential electronics is the depth sounder!

The other electronics I use a lot is the autopilot. Let's me single hand since my spouse doesn't like helming.

I have been fogged in (Griffin Bay) but had time to wait it out. I've purchased a Broadband radar and new MFD but haven't gotten it installed yet thanks to the pandemic. I found the original radar not very useful at my low skill level so I hope the broadband is a lot easier to interpret.
GregW1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:29   #18
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmzngGrace View Post
Recently acquired a 1979 Crealock 37 from the original owner who recently passed away. He was a paper chart guy and I have all the charts for the entire West coast/CA/Alaska and the tools. Regarding electronics I have an old depth sensor that seems to be working OK. But other than the VHF Radio, Marine clock, barometer, compass and a cassette player, that’s about it. I know there are quite a few apps out there and I will be sailing around the San Juan Islands and will probably never go outside into the open ocean. What do you think I need to upgrade at MINIMUM in terms of navigation/electronics given the pretty good access to internet and availability of apps to use with my iPad and the fact that I will be cruising in local waters only?
I have been sailing the northwest for 25 years. I would recommend as a minimum: an underdeck autopilot, Rose Point Coastal Explorer (Redmond, WA) charts for your laptop at the Nav Station, Garmin Handheld GPSMAP for the helm, Wind instrument (it is a sailboat after all), AIS transceiver (be seen as well as see others), RADAR eventually primarily for fog.

Bundle the paper charts and put a listing on craigslist to recover some of your expense.

Good luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:22   #19

Boat: Cape Barren Goose

Download the navics app to your phone and I would make sure the steering is solid and fit an autopilot
Old 10-11-2020, 12:36   #20

Boat: SS34

I would suggest a good quality handheld GPS and a handheld VHF as back up for the Ipad and for the grab bag. Fit a few bits of wool to the rigging as wind indicators. The mark 1 eyeball should be your primary aid.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:39   #21

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
In that area I would have AIS that broadcasts and receives. You normally have a lot of cruise ships and those guys are big and move fast. If (and you will) get out of the San Juans and up into Desolation sound, Princess Luisa Inlet etc and you're needing to time the rapids it's nice to be able to see the cruise ships, tugs etc. coming from 3 bends in the channel back up to your position when they are doing 25 knots. You can't see them visually and everyone is timing the rapids. Radar won't see these guys either.
Not likely to see Cruise Ships near Princess Louisa Inlet...[emoji6] but a good point that AIS is very helpful. Note that AIS may not come through/around 3 bends in mountainous fiords (BC and Alaska).

Navionics has a lot of missing many Cdn tide/current stations, including missing Malibu Rapids (entrance to Priness Louisa Inlet). Hard to time Malibu Rapids using Navionics.

No one has noted how excellent OPENCPN software (free) is for navigation. Won't work (stand alone) on an iPad, but works well on inexpensive Android (and Windows) tablets, as well as other OSs.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:41   #22

It's really a personal preference. I grew up with paper charts and a compass. People have navigated for a long time with them with relative success. The more electronics the more convenient. However, regarding eletronics, there are some functional differences.

I do use an iPad as a secondary navigation device. I run a Garmin GPS app on it. It is mounted beside my Raymarine MFD, so I've spent countless hours noticing the 'side-by-side' differences.

iPad's are more difficult to view in both direct sunlight and when wearing polarized lenses. I don't have issues with either of these things with an MFD (Raymarine in my case).

MFD's tend to be waterproof, while iPad's and laptops are not. Though you can get a waterproof case for an iPad.

You can get a larger display in an MFD.

MFD's tend to be more robustly mounted. Mosts ipad mounts are friction/tension mounts and the device 'can' fall.

iPad's/Laptop's now have to have a klunky portable power cable or you rely on the internal battery and it's limited charge.

There are no radar apps. for an portable electronic device.

You can't integrate your AIS, VHF or horn (fog horn) into a electronic device like an iPad.

Do you need all this stuff? No......but it sure is nice to have.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:51   #23

Boat: Hunter 37C
Most important nav upgrade(s) for old boat

I’m of the opinion to NOT use your iPad or phone especially as your only navigation system. Nothing like a dedicated and robust chartplotter that can be easily used and seen when blowing 30 and raining. Also my iPhone is expensive and sailing can be rough.

I work at Apple and I’ve had quite a few sailors being me their phones/tablets complaining that their navigation app of choice was no longer compatible or changed and they didn’t like it, no longer updatable, not to mention the handful who’ve brought me broken phones that were used while sailing....

I think a phone/tablet is great as a redundancy or something to use in the cabin but having a dedicated navigation system is really nice and not that expensive.

An AIS receiver if your somewhere with frequent commercial traffic is nice but not necessary.

I feel almost spoiled hearing my mom tell me stories of sailing before GPS and all these fancy electronics. So really what’s necessary.. keep the mast up, rudder attached, crew onboard and happy, water under the keel and you should be good.

...maybe I should be recommending the use of phones and tablets while sailing for some added job security...[emoji848]
Sailing Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 13:34   #24

Boat: Fisher 31, 9.4 M

You should have a hand-bearing compass.

INavx is excellent, but the iPad battery will run down after about five hours, so have a charging adapter connected to the ship's battery. I also have a laptop on-board, with GPS, OpenCPN and charts installed, kept fully charged.

If single-handed, an autopilot is very very useful. You can go below, briefly, for navigation, make a cup of tea or food, and to pee. Reefing, tacking, etc are also much easier with one. Working properly, it will steer a better course than you can, in most conditions. And it doesn't get tired.

Are your charts up to date? And do you have tide tables and a tidal atlas?
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 15:12   #25

I'd install an AIS transponder. Best way to not get run down in the fog or at night.

Your boat does not have a good radar return and radar reflectors really don't work that well.

AIS is now the primary anti-collision system on every ferry, commercial vessel and fishing trawler. Sure the deck officer still glances at the radar now and then but he's mostly focused on the AIS screen. A faint radar return from your boat could be ignored as a reflection or birds

The other great advantage of AIS is it displays the vessel name on the screen - so you (or they) can hail by VHF.

Get an AIS transponder that has Wifi. That way the targets will show up on in your Nav App. Something like this: https://www.milltechmarine.com/CAMINO-108W

I'd give up my radar before giving up my AIS
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 15:20   #26

Boat: DownEaster 38

I faced a similar decision when I bought our DownEaster 38 four + years ago for sailing in and around the SF Bay. It did have an operational chart plotter with GPS and a working VHS radio. There also were depth, wind speed-direction and water speed gauges but they were not working. I decided to go with a modest B&G NMEA 2000 network which essentially replaced the existing functionality plus a VHS with AIS receiving capability. I did add radar a bit later, thinking like you, to be able to navigate safely in fog. The beauty of the NMEA network is that you can start small and add on more instruments or up grade them so easily. If I were in the same situation today I'd do exactly the same but get a VHS with AIS transmission as well as receiving capability. I do use an iPad and/or mobile phone with Navionics, but feel more comfortable with the permanent installation. Obviously a very personal choice. In any case have fun!!!
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 19:22   #27

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

There are no radar apps. for an portable electronic device.

I have no personal experience with it, but this radar is for portable devices, with a very low price point, IOS only apparently. It just needs power, so for under $900 and the mount you can easily add radar without mounting a display. I'm not saying this is ideal for most radar installations, it's not, but to inexpensively add radar to a boat that doesn't have it and already relies on tablets, it could be a great solution.

https://www.furuno.com/en/products/radar/DRS4W
neflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 00:53   #28

Boat: Catalina 30

I have always prefered dedicated marine electronics to making do with apps on a tablet.

Lorance is aimed at fisherman, Simrad towards power boats and B&G towards sIling. I like Garmin MFDs (very configurable). Our vessel has an in-hull depth transducer and gwind wireless wind sensor. For displays we have a 9" Simrad EVO 2 NSS at the helm with two Garmin GNI 20 mfds in pods. The nav station has a 7" B&G Vulcan 7FS and a B&G V50 VHF/AIS rcvr/DSC with two B&G H50 wireless remotes. (The H50s can be used as VHF via the base unit or for comunication with the base and/or each other.)p

I have been chided by many purists for having a wind sensor, but it is mush easier to see than staring up around the bimini into the sun or at night. Plus several sail specific function on the chart plotter use it. All devices comunicate vua NMEA2000 and I've never had issues between devices by different manufacturers.

I would like a NMEA compatable compass, and wish the gWind had air temp. Forward looking depth would also be nice. One day I would like an Autopilot.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 07:56   #29

Boat: Sabre 36, Pearson 34. Boatless

Navionics. With an iPad that has GPS. The older ones don’t.
Normanskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 09:15   #30

Boat: 1990 Island Packet 32

In the San Juans and surrounding area, I believe you should have radar. You will encounter fog - sometimes thick, lingering fog. If you think you'll just hole up until the fog goes away, that could be a week. If you think you'll go when the fog burns off later in the day, IF the fog burns off it may be at the time of day when the tidal current is against you. I really think you should be prepared to travel as safely as possible in fog in this area. In my opinion, that means having radar.
Enjoy your new-to-you boat. See you in the San Juans next spring!

Tags
boat, import