Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2020, 08:34   #1

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47
Monitor for navigation

We run TimeZero 3.3 andOpen CPN on a Win 10 machine with a 14 year old 19" diagonal monitor that showing signs of dying. We are about to buy a new monitor. It must fit the space we have, but we want a large, hi resolution screen. Space limits us to 24" diagonal
The Dell S2417DG looks good to us. Specs say
• QHD resolution 2560 x 1440 at 165 Hz
• Pixel Pitch • 0.2058 mm
• Brightness • 350 cd/m˛
• Contrast Ratio • 1000:1
Would you expect TZ and Open CPN to run well on it? Some people warn that text may be too small.

The monitor will be installed below deck, so readability in sunlight is not an issue

We are open to suggestions on another monitor.
One running on 12 volts would be nice but I cannot find that size and resolution
Likewise touchscreen would be nice, but all that I can find at that resolution are physically too large for our space
We do not have the option of buying, trying and returning if we do not like it due to boat location and airfares

Thank you for your comments
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:38   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Monitor for navigation

rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 14:08   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
thank you for your helpful and informative contribution.

Jim
Old 10-01-2020, 15:29   #4
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
thank you for your helpful and informative contribution.

Jim
Thanks as well for your ignorant smrt a$$ comment. Generally that means I’m also curious and would like to follow the thread and see if anyone has anything informative to offer as I myself have been considering the same. Hence the watching intently munching on some popcorn anticipating an informed response, yours falls a little flat.
Old 10-01-2020, 15:41   #5

Quote:
Thanks as well for your ignorant smrt a$$ comment. Generally that means I’m also curious and would like to follow the thread and see if anyone has anything informative to offer as I myself have been considering the same. Hence the watching intently munching on some popcorn anticipating an informed response, yours falls a little flat.
Rubish! Your popcorn means I'm bored, this has been talked thousand times before, it will become a long stupid thread, anchor, etc etc.

Jim was 100 % right. Very elegantly communicated that you should refrain from such completely unnecessary comments. Noise.
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 15:51   #6

Boat: Hylas 54 #42

The dot pitch should not be an issue. Windows 10 allows you to scale the image so the image is larger on the screen but of course you will see less of a page or chart at any time. The finer dot pitch of the monitor still provides a clearer image.

If possible, I would really try and find a 12V monitor. Dell and Samsung have made them in the past but I have not kept up with the current offerings.
jdtcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 16:25   #7

Boat: Westerly Sealord

A few years ago I needed a new monitor.... gave up one finding on running on an external 12V brick.
Settled for an LG 19M38D .. probably discontinued by now...
It runs off a 19V brick..
Chucked that brick.. kept the cable.. bought on of these DCDC-USB, Intelligent DC-DC converter with USB interface

Works good.. and also runs my Acer Veriton L670G computer.

I have a second one for charging my MacBook .. these days they - Mini-Box - also make a 15 amp one...
Old 10-01-2020, 16:51   #8

Boat: Freedom 38

It's a little smaller than your need, but I bought this ASUS MB168B portable USB monitor for my Nuc running OCPN (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FE...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It's really thin and with a nice display but no VESA mounting capabilities so I'm planning to build it into the nav station desk instead. Asus might have the portables in a larger size. I have also since come to realize that if this monitor ever flakes out, I can't turn on the computer with another USB monitor. I'm now waiting on a $48, 7-inch VGA monitor from China to use as a backup. Probably not what you're looking for and I can't give feedback on it anyway because I don't have it in hand yet.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 17:22   #9
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
Rubish! Your popcorn means I'm bored, this has been talked thousand times before, it will become a long stupid thread, anchor, etc etc.

Jim was 100 % right. Very elegantly communicated that you should refrain from such completely unnecessary comments. Noise.
So when you’re bored and disgruntled you eat a bag of popcorn...if I had wanted to convey those emotions (like I will towards your comment) I would have gone with or or even followed by a
Old 10-01-2020, 18:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I use a 32" LG monitor and everything looks fine. Paid under $200 from Amazon a couple years ago. Use it with TZ, OpenCPN and Rosepoint on win7 pc, soon to be Linux.
Lepke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 18:47   #11
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I use a 32" LG monitor and everything looks fine. Paid under $200 from Amazon a couple years ago. Use it with TZ, OpenCPN and Rosepoint on win7 pc, soon to be Linux.
You running it off an inverter or find a better way?
Old 10-01-2020, 19:12   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
This points out the difficulties of trying to communicate using silly little pictures which have no agreed meaning. Words in general do have an agreed meaning, codified in dictionaries, and are a preferred means of expressing ideas for most folks.

So, if you had simply posted what you wrote out in the above quote I would not have responded as I did.

I'm not sure who deserves the "ignorant smrt a$$" label here...

Jim
Old 10-01-2020, 19:43   #13
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This points out the difficulties of trying to communicate using silly little pictures which have no agreed meaning. Words in general do have an agreed meaning, codified in dictionaries, and are a preferred means of expressing ideas for most folks.

So, if you had simply posted what you wrote out in the above quote I would not have responded as I did.

I'm not sure who deserves the "ignorant smrt a$$" label here...

Jim
A lot of times I don’t have time or patience to type it out on my phone. A simple question would suffice if you didn’t understand. You attacked I defended.
ig·no·rant
/ˈiɡnərənt/
adjective
lacking knowledge or awareness in general;
Ass is about the most PC label in my vocabulary and hardly an insult in my books.
Old 10-01-2020, 19:45   #14

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
You running it off an inverter or find a better way?
See post #7
Old 10-01-2020, 20:21   #15
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
See post #7
Awesome thanks!

Tags
monitor, navigation