Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 09:07   #1

Mobile chart app

Looking for suggestions on mobile chart app for Apple cellular iPad. We had Blue Charts but iOS 13 update wiped out all detail under 2 miles. Were told we had to get new charts via Active Captain but they are very expensive and don't even come close to what Blue Charts offered. Thinking about Navionics. Would greatly appreciate input from Bahamas cruisers. Thanks.

John Kuna, Cathy Wilson
Kahuna
chachi387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:39   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44
Re: Mobile chart app

Does the cellular iPad have gps? One of the iPad models lacks it, forgot which one.
I much prefer Navionics. I have it on all my devices for backup.

It is a little pricey (yet well worth it), and apparently when the 1 year subscription expires, re-upping is at a large discount. I think you're only paying for the updates at that point.

I also use OpenCPN, but that software feels and looks like it was designed in the mid '90s. Navionics is a much more user friendly experience. It has a free 2 week trial, so check it out before you drop the hammer.
crybllrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:48   #3

My favourite apps are Aqua Map and Navionics. They are inexpensive so I purchased both.
raffo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:52   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachi387 View Post
Looking for suggestions on mobile chart app for Apple cellular iPad. We had Blue Charts but iOS 13 update wiped out all detail under 2 miles. Were told we had to get new charts via Active Captain but they are very expensive and don't even come close to what Blue Charts offered. Thinking about Navionics. Would greatly appreciate input from Bahamas cruisers. Thanks.

John Kuna, Cathy Wilson
Kahuna
Garmin abandoned Blue charts on iPad 3 years ago (which for me was really annoying as at the time I had just purchased a lot of charts for the app). It has less to to with the IOS version than GARMIN. I've moved to Aquamaps It pretty good, Navionics is good too.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob