Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 23:29   #286

Re: Missing 75´s.y. Lady Domina

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post
This breaks my heart. Shame on that captain. How could anyone sail by a liferaft without properly checking it or at least reporting it to SAR so they could send someone to check it. Unbelievable.
Old 10-06-2013, 00:14   #287
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

My information is the liferaft is not from Lady Domina! Wheeew! I still think this boat is going to turn up. I am not a guy of religion, but I am a person of extreme faith. Since losing my other half of 26 years many years ago, it has given me supreme guidance. I have seen a lot of guidance on this board, most of it supreme. The other gift we can give is hope for a good outcome. Just a point of view.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:28   #288
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
If one decides to go farther to the north of Bermuda, you are pretty much set for making landfall in the UK or one of the Biscay ports. I think they decided, without letting anyone else know, that they had chosen one of the more northern routes rather than trying to sail direct to the Azores.
IIRC, the original plan was to end up in Norway(?) - if that the case would make sense to not faff around with the Azores / Portugal etc if another more direct route is feasible (note to others: I am outside my area of knowledge on Transat route planning - prevailing winds / currents)..........in which case they would still happily be out there . and likely still out of communication with shore.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:32   #289
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
This breaks my heart. Shame on that captain. How could anyone sail by a liferaft without properly checking it or at least reporting it to SAR so they could send someone to check it. Unbelievable.
Yeah, that is bad .
Old 10-06-2013, 07:41   #290
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Given certain ships throw stowaways overboard in teh middle of teh sea, not stoping to check a liferaft is teh least of certain transgressions!!.

Dave
Old 10-06-2013, 07:53   #291

Boat: Hedonist 44
Send a message via Skype™ to lenseman
Re: MISSING 75´s.y. LADY DOMINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
If the above alert was raised by anyone in this thread you would have heard about it (from them) before now, it went out on the 13th of May....nearly a month ago...
The above report actually was sent out on the 01 May and not the 13 May as you thought.

The actual time was 1500 UTC 01 MAY 2013

S/Y "Surabaya Girl" - 2DTW3 - Portsmouth UK
Old 10-06-2013, 08:13   #292
cruiser

So if Lady Domina was in PR on May 3, 2013, that is another reason why that raft is not from the LD, but was it from the Grain de Soleil?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:28   #293

Sailing Savoir Faire: Life Raft Found In Lady Domina Search Area

While it's hard to tell from the photograph it looks like the liferaft canopy collapsed. From the photo it's hard to tell if there is not a person/body under it without a personal inspection. While someone may leave a sinking boat for a liferaft. I doubt anyone would leave a floating life raft unless they were being rescued. Someone from the ship should have checked this out and not just with a searchlight from the bridge. Wonder what the ships log book says about this find?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:32   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Sailing Savoir Faire: Life Raft Found In Lady Domina Search Area

While it's hard to tell from the photograph it looks like the liferaft canopy collapsed. From the photo it's hard to tell if there is not a person/body under it without a personal inspection. While someone may leave a sinking boat for a liferaft. I doubt anyone would leave a floating life raft unless they were being rescued. Someone from the ship should have checked this out and not just with a searchlight from the bridge. Wonder what the ships log book says about this find?
That's pretty disturbing that any ship would just motor on by without checking a life raft out in the middle of the ocean. Our society's respect for life continues to descend.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:50   #295
cruiser

Holland America is being asked whether it was reported to Portugal as they were obligated to do. I think Holland America owes the Grain de Soleil something. I talked to Helle who is the girlfriend of Brian, and she said this is not the raft from LD
Old 10-06-2013, 08:52   #296
cruiser

Still looking for contact information for Oyvin and the Lee families. Thanks, Tim
Old 10-06-2013, 08:54   #297
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I must say , this thread sure gets bumped

dave
Old 10-06-2013, 09:05   #298
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Wouldn't the CG in Puerto Rico log there contact???

Also, it seems extremely unlikely the yacht and crew are island hopping in the Bahamas, DR or anywhere else. someone would have emailed a friend, updated their Facebook, etc, etc. There is access to Internet almost everywhere and no one would be out of touch for this long.

It would seem to me an underwater structural failure of some sort led to a rapid sinking. While there is not a great deal of info on the vessel, it seems safe to assume it was poorly maintained and probably poorly built.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:08   #299

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

SWW914, You wrote, " That indicates trouble out in the middle more than lazy cruising."

Incorrect, all it really indicates is that no HF radio communications took place that were noted. There are some cruisers whose sole means of communications offshore are by radio, and for someone not inclined to be a self-fixer, something as simple as a corroded antenna connection could take them off the air. FWIW

Ann

Old 10-06-2013, 09:08   #300

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling there is more to this story, like a stalking boyfriend or business deal gone wrong, or drug deal. There is so much searching for a boat. And it seems like the boat is enjoying the travel with no idea its missing.
Closed Thread