Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 20:17   #1

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16
Mexico Raster Charts

I am looking for raster charts of Mexico to use with OpenCPN. Do they make them? If so link please. Thanks
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 21:25   #2

I bought a Maptec chart book for the US that came with a chart program for the US but they don't have Mexico charts. I think thats because Mexico charts are so out of date nobody whats to sale them. What are people useing. We bought Charlies Charts as advised on this sight from several people and the cruising guide looks great but it is not a chart. I did find and bought a world chart kit but would like more detail. Maybe google earth will do.
Old 17-09-2010, 23:04   #3

I found a Mexico chart kit here for $34.00. I havent seen it yet but so far the best I have found. Sets
Old 17-09-2010, 23:25   #4

I use the NAVIONICS vector charts of Mexico. They have some of the same positional accuracy errors as the paper charts I used years ago. But that has not been an issue...mainly because the weather is so nice during the cruising season.

I don't know of any raster charts. The source charts are beautiful one-color antiques originally drawn a hundred years ago and somewhat updated since then. Only harbors have colorful modern charts.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 08:19   #5

[QUOTE=daddle;523618]I use the NAVIONICS vector charts of Mexico.

Thanks, I was starting to think that Mexico E-charts did not exist.
Old 28-09-2010, 19:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsteer View Post
I found a Mexico chart kit here for $34.00. I havent seen it yet but so far the best I have found. Sets
I got the above chart set and it's just so so. Would not recommend it. We are off full time cruiseing next month (not with the Ha Ha) so it will have to do intell I can get the GE program working. At lest we are off with something and for that I am thinkful.
Old 28-09-2010, 19:26   #7

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
It was a few years ago (late 90's) but the raster charts for Banderas Bay were out by about 1 km-1 1/2 km which placed you that far north of the entrance to either Marina Vallarta or Puerto Vallarta. We were almost in the surf line before picking up a range light for the PV harbor entrance and scooted south for 20 minutes before picking up both ranges and getting in safely. Perhaps they've updated but approach with caution at night. Daylight approaches are easy-peasy... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 19:32   #8

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
Quote:
I got the above chart set and it's just so so. Would not recommend it. We are off full time cruiseing next month (not with the Ha Ha) so it will have to do intell I can get the GE program working. At lest we are off with something and for that I am thinkful.

What format are the charts in? BSB? KAP? Or some other format? Please let me know, cuz I'm thinking about getting the world charts they have listed .....
Old 28-09-2010, 19:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWOA View Post
What format are the charts in? BSB? KAP? Or some other format? Please let me know, cuz I'm thinking about getting the world charts they have listed .....
They work on Sea Clear. Will that tell you the BSB or KAP info? As you can tell I am no wiz with computers but in the last month I bought my first laptop, installed long range WiFi on our boat with a wireless router and am loving both. Don't get me wrong, the charts are not junk, just not at all like my MapTech charts for the US. I now have learned that MapTech may have a chart set for Mexico.
Old 28-09-2010, 21:24   #10

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
There are these (no experience with them):

NAUTICAL CHARTS ON CD

Mine are MapTech from the late nineties - surprised they are not available anymore...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 21:34   #11

I found a WCI file on the chart list. I also found some more chart list that look better than what I had found before. So for the money they look good. I should have spent more time with them. I would like not to have to use diffrent software for my charts but they all work somewhat the same. The suport from the chart co is vary good as well. They will even help out a not so with it computer guy like me. Can you tell I feel bad about saying I wouldent recommend them? I think I am feeling the pressure of our dep date comming up fast and knowing I would have liked to get more done.
Old 28-09-2010, 21:44   #12

Thanks Michael, that chart kit looks good.
Old 29-09-2010, 06:20   #13
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
I found a WCI file on the chart list. I also found some more chart list that look better than what I had found before. So for the money they look good. I should have spent more time with them. I would like not to have to use diffrent software for my charts but they all work somewhat the same. The suport from the chart co is vary good as well. They will even help out a not so with it computer guy like me. Can you tell I feel bad about saying I wouldent recommend them? I think I am feeling the pressure of our dep date comming up fast and knowing I would have liked to get more done.
The WCI format is a proprietary format that only SeaClear uses (I think...)

BSB and KAP are terms used somewhat interchangably.

The standard is called BSB. The old versions had a .KAP file and a .BSB file. The later versions combined it all into a single .KAP file, but they are still refered to as BSB charts.

AFAIK, the older 2-file .BSB/.KAP versions cannot be used by SeaClear. But the self-contained .KAP type BSB charts can.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 10:21   #14

Re: Mexico Raster Charts

I am currently living in Mexico. All raster charts, ENCs and tidal information for mexico is available from the Navy. The catalogue for charts is linked to http://digaohm.semar.gob.mx/hidrografia.html under the title Catálogo de Cartas y Publicaciones Náuticas. Tidal tables are at estaciones titled Tablas de Mareas. Notices to mariners is linked to Ayudas a la Navegacion and titled Aviso a los Marinos. There is a site in english, but there is almost nothing on it of use to a sailor. your best bet is to go to the navy site at SEMAR- Secretaría de Marina-Armada de México and either go to the site map, Mapa del Sitio, or to scroll down to the bottom of the screen where you can find the links I have listed above. You may have to contact the department responsible for the cartography, SEMAR, at DIGAOHM by telephone or by email to obtain the ENCS or RNCS. The chart bundles cost about $1000MXN for the east coast and west coast packs. If they like you, they might even let you download it from a link in an email, but don't expect things to be that easy. They will work at making their jobs worth while by making you work a little for what you want.
viprofferi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 16:55   #15

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Re: Mexico Raster Charts

rearsteer..

Have you tried the OCPN library of NGA raster charts?
NGA Charts Status Region 2 at OpenCPN.info (English)

Tore

Tags
charts, Mexico